WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Hiawassee Inn

Stayed @ Hiawassee Inn this year on a 350 mile Section Hike to Erwin and probably had the best experience along with Ron Haven at the Budget Inn in Franklin.

Ron (Hiawassee Inn) was extremely helpful, was waiting for me @ Dicks Creek, I called 1 hour before I got to the Gap.

I had Travelers checks with me (bad idea) in $1,000 denominations. Ron was willing to deposit it in his account and give me cash but his bank wouldn't accept the check for fear of counterfit. But the point is he was going to do it! Just met him! He also stored two boxes for me for over 2 mo's then would not accept a penny for storage when I returned to pick them up.

Bottom line, very kind people. JS

stay at the holiday inn express. you know exactly what you're getting

Images

My stay at the Inn was a little over a year ago. Took a zero there. The owners were having some personal difficulties in their life - had to do some unexpected travel, but they were still very friendly and accommodating. Provided shuttle service from and to the trail, laundered our clothes (even supplying clean clothes while ours were being laundered) and returned it to our room neatly folded, gave the hikers use of their van in the evening for dinner/shopping runs, provided continental breakfast in their living room each morning. The only extra charge that I encountered was a reasonable fee for the shuttle - totally understandable with the costs involved.

I would stay there again, and would recommend it to others.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseboy View Post
    Wow, such a mixed bag of reviews from hikers... I was considering staying here on my GA section-hike, but now I'm a little leery... If I stay a night in a motel, I definitely don't want to be rushed out at 8 a.m.

The credit card fee sounds like B.S. too, although 10% of $35-40 isn't really a huge burden. I generally try to put as much as possible on cards during a hike.

The responses are SO varied, though, I truly don' t know which side to believe. I'll be doing this in September, so the nearer Hostels are not an option... Holiday Inn sounds too expensive, but I'll definitely be ready for a motel at this point in the hike. Who knows, I may be leaving an angry post here myself in several months...

If you're hiking anytime soon, you won't get rushed out. I think that & the room-sharing only happens during the thru-hiker crunch. My Dad & I stayed there on our section last year & they were real nice. I think we hit Hiwassee about May 9? They let us take their van to go eat, our laundry got done while we were gone, and the place was just generally nice. They yogied us a ride back to the trail the next morning from another hotel guest going that way. You can walk to a Dollar General or whatever right nextdoor
    ???

Images

I stayed there in May and Ron said they were moving out and a new operator was taking over, sometime in June. Not sure if it will stay hiker friendly.

Matt

Images

Ron and Sam sold the Hiawassee Inn??? Say it isn't so!

Images

I spoke earlier this year to someone there, and they still do hiker services. Including bringing a box to Dick's Creek (for a fee) if you don't want to come to town.
    Just hike.

Maybe someone with some experience with hiking and providing hiker services will come along and purchase it. We can only hope.

That's called foreshadowing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Maybe someone with some experience with hiking and providing hiker services will come along and purchase it. We can only hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    That's called foreshadowing.
    I think Karnak is still available as a trailname....
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

"If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Solitude without lonliness... rjridgely's Avatar

I tried staying at the Inn around jan 24th and it was closed, stayed at Moll's and the ride I arraigned back to the trail was Ron, who told me they gave up the Inn late last summer and that the people running the Inn were busted for a meth lab there and it is now closed until....well, who knows.

Thank goodness the door was open and I could retrieve my Drop box
    Because whiskey from a tin cup...just tastes better

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++