WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hiawassee Inn

Default Hiawassee Inn

I stayed at the Hiawasse Inn in Hiawasse GA during a recent section hike and was impressed with the hiker services. Its the closest commercial establishment to Dicks Creek Gap and looks to be an easy hitch. It is about a mile closer than Molls motel (which seems to be in only semi operation). It is set back off the road and is almost hidden. There is only one sign, look for a Marathon Gas Station and drive out back. I dont have their info right at hand but they claim to be in both of this years guide books.

The owners of the Inn offer rooms or tent space, laundry and shuttles (50 cents a mile round trip from the INN). Two free shuttles in the AM to Unicoi or Dicks Creek Gap. They will shuttle to Springer (the gap 9/10 north of the summit) all the way to Fontanna. They also offer limited slackpacking. They also do afternoon pickups at Unicoi and Dicks creek.

They have been in operation for a year and a half and had over 700 thru hikers stop by. The owners really look to be pursuing the hiking community and try to help out. The owners take some pride in their place and seem to be pretty flexible, but I did sense that if someone has an atitude they may not be welcome.

One caveat is that they do not allow illegal drugs on the premises and the local police stop by on occasion with their drug dog to scan the rooms.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger
    I stayed at the Hiawasse Inn in Hiawasse GA during a recent section hike and was impressed with the hiker services. Its the closest commercial establishment to Dicks Creek Gap and looks to be an easy hitch. It is about a mile closer than Molls motel (which seems to be in only semi operation). It is set back off the road and is almost hidden. There is only one sign, look for a Marathon Gas Station and drive out back. I dont have their info right at hand but they claim to be in both of this years guide books.

The owners of the Inn offer rooms or tent space, laundry and shuttles (50 cents a mile round trip from the INN). Two free shuttles in the AM to Unicoi or Dicks Creek Gap. They will shuttle to Springer (the gap 9/10 north of the summit) all the way to Fontanna. They also offer limited slackpacking. They also do afternoon pickups at Unicoi and Dicks creek.

They have been in operation for a year and a half and had over 700 thru hikers stop by. The owners really look to be pursuing the hiking community and try to help out. The owners take some pride in their place and seem to be pretty flexible, but I did sense that if someone has an atitude they may not be welcome.

One caveat is that they do not allow illegal drugs on the premises and the local police stop by on occasion with their drug dog to scan the rooms.
    This is good information. I wasn't aware that they did shuttles. Afternoon pickups at Unicoi and Dicks Creek... are those pre-arranged?

Youngblood

I'd like to second Peakbagger's plug for the great people at the Hiawassee Inn. Extremely hiker friendly and a nice place to stay. When I was there they didn't have phones in the rooms, don't know if that has changed. However, I carried one of those dreaded cell phones, so didn't mind. Definitely a place I'd stay again if I was in the area.

Not sure on the afternoon pickups, you would need to check with them. They also mentioned that they do pickups at Neels Gap if they are called.

They still dont have phones in the rooms. They also dont take credit cards but do take personal checks.

Images

Default Hooray for the Hiawassee Inn

I am proud to say that I was the first hiker to stay with the new owners last year. I called for a shuttle and they said they weren't open yet, but would give me a ride to town. Then they let me stay in one of the rooms after all! Wonderful guys and ready to help anyone.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

It was closed when we went through. Stayed at Mull's instead. Hot water lasted about 1 min, literally. Wouldnt recommend it.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I have stayed at every motel in Hiawassee, and while I've had good stays at all of them, I also would like to put in a good word for the Hiawassee Inn, where I've stayed several times. I look forward to meeting the new folks at some point, and am happy to hear that they are so hiker-friendly.

Bloody Cactus MadAussieInLondon's Avatar

the hottub in the holiday inn is awesome in hiawasse
    -- [TrailName :: Bloody Cactus] --

Mull's is nice shes a sweet older woman, and Arby's and the store across the street are a benifit, but if your legs are strong hike the hill and stay at the Holiday Inn ..... you'll need a ID there and they will make a copy of it .. If that bothers you Mull's is awesome. But if you plan on going to the store after checking in the holiday inn you'll want to go down the steep incline in the corner, the vines are there to help you down but its not so easy getting up with a 12 pack and all you grocery items ... its a good 1/2 mile walk around with those items the proper way.

Breakfeast Buffet Sunday on Main street right up from Mulls...FEEEEEEE_NOM_A-NUL!!!!!!! and really really cheap.

That would be the Georgia Mountain Restaurant. Saturday and Sunday all-you-can-chew breakfast buffet.

Images

Default Hiker friendly

We dropped off Ranger this morning at the Hiawassee Inn and got a chance to meet the new owner. He was exceptionally friendly. He told me that he was sorry that at times he didn't have a room for hikers with "regular traffic" and decided to do something about it. He created an open hiker room filled with roll away beds out of one of the rooms. I believe Ranger said the price was something like $15 or 18 dollars a night to stay in this room.

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

Totally harmless unless riled JLB's Avatar

I had a wonderful time at the Hiawasse Inn.

That was my terminus, after starting at Springer, and arrived on July 4th. They were have a huge cookout, and it was the best meal of my life, after days and days of rain, the sun actually came out.

The owners are great people, and one of them even drove me up to Boone NC for a fee that was incredibly reasonable.

I then did some hiking in the Smokies.

That will be my first stop on this year's trip, to pick up where I left off in Georgia. I look forward to it.

Default Breakfast!

Nobody mentioned the free continental breakfast??
    I remember coffee, juice, fresh fruit and bagels...there may have been more.

The owners are very interested in catering to thru-hikers, they will do pickups from the trail, shuttles to the downtown restaurants, which are a long way, and then take you back to the trail in the morning. They will let hikers share rooms. There are no phones in the rooms but they let me use their office phone with a calling card. They let you use their washer & dryer for about $3. The rooms are $30-40 I think...that includes breakfast!

There's two places to get into Hiawassee--both are worth it. That other town that starts with an H (was it called Helen?) does not have my approval.

[also: I just remembered while reading the other posts... I talked to one of the owners at breakfast for a while (wish I remembered his name), he was a very nice guy and he owns a copy of Wingfoot.

Although they don't take credit cards, he told me that some young thru-hikers had come through and only had credit cards, no cash/checks. He would let them stay, and tell them to call their mothers to send a check in the mail.

The moral is, bring a couple of checks on your thru-hike, and stay at the Hiawassee Inn.]

I stayed there last week. Didn't like it. When checking in I said I wanted a single room and the owner didn't want to give me one. He wanted me and That Guy to double up. I don't share rooms. He finally gave in. The following morning around 8:00 AM he rushed us to check out. I won't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat
    I am proud to say that I was the first hiker to stay with the new owners last year. I called for a shuttle and they said they weren't open yet, but would give me a ride to town. Then they let me stay in one of the rooms after all! Wonderful guys and ready to help anyone.
    Is
    Ron and Sam not the owners anymore?

I stayed with them for a few days last year. My father and I slack packed the 16 miles between gaps and Ron was very accomidating. We stayed in the "hostel" which was $17 a night and was an efficiency apartment that had enough bedding for about a dozen. Ron actually had us take his shuttle to drive everyone to the buffet one night. The continental breakfast was cool, as it was basically a light breakfast provided out of their "home" next door. Ron and Sam are a cool, unique set of owners. I know we were glad to have come across them!

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME

These guys are great. I've never stayed there, since I live in the area. But I have set other people up with them on their adventures. About a month ago, a friend and his son from Florida were doing a five day. They walked in to a snow and sleet storm just north of the Ga/NC border. Jack's cell battery was about dead, and he couldn't light his stove, but with one phone call to the Hiawassee Inn, we arranged a pickup on a USFS road less than two miles from their location. You just can't beat that kind of service. I've got them on my speed dial.

I always stay with Ron and Sam when I go through Hiawassee. LW just caught them at a bad time. Ron had just undergone prostate surgery and Sam was not at his best. I hope all of LWs motel stays are good. Sorry this one wasn't.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

not sure the holiday inn express can be beat. last year we stayed there, 5 in a huge room with 2 queen beds and a huge pull out couch. all you can eat breakfast,pool hot tub, a.c. nice view of brasstown bald, right next to everything. 2 nights. when the bill came we paid 20 dollars a piece

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++