Default Bear Canister to Kennedy M

Quick question for you all more knowledgeable about the PCT than myself: I'm leaning toward purchasing my BV500 through the pct thru-hikers deal through the Bearvault company.

When they mail to Kennedy Meadows are they mailing to the store or the PO or what? It doesn't say on their form.

Also, I was recently reading (it could have been old information or my mind is making things up) that the KM store was for sale or between owners.
    Will this impact the shipment/deliver/pick-up of a bear canister to this location?

I really appreciate any information you can give me about this.

thanks! leanna

You may want to contact Bearvault about that, but there's no PO there so I think you'd have to assume it's going to the store.

I haven't heard about anything that would disrupt deliveries to hikers there, but I believe their phone # is 559 850-5647 if you want to givee KM a call.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If I recall correctly, the address for KM in Yogi's guide was incorrect, but she posted the new address in an update on her website. I would double-check to make sure you're sending it to the right place. When I was there last year, a bunch of hikers were waiting around for late packages.

Images

Hey MS,

One piece of advice I'd give about KM is be sure of how many boxes you have sent to the store. My friend and I had something like 7 boxes between the 2 of us and they told us none of them had arrived. I'd recommend going into the back room yourself and scoping it out. They get overwhelmed with mail and don't have a very organized system
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

The secret to having your boxes found easier is to write your name in large letters on all sides of your packages. I've heard adding color (say pink) to the box can also help though I never tried.

All packages going to Kennedy Meadows need to be sent to to the store as there is no PO (UPS does deliver there as well). They can mail out packages via USPS for you if you provide the box (not hard to find an empty from all the other hikers there).

The store has been for sale for a couple of years. They are waiting for the right person to buy. It was for sale last year and didn't affect any of us. Even if someone were to buy it soon, it still would take some time for them to take over and there would be plenty of warning if anything were to change. People on the PCT-L would be aware of it and would spread the word to other places.

Anyone posting on this thread should be aware that the origninal poster is not mailing the canister. It's being mailed directly by BearVault. So suggestions on how to address the package or label it won't be all that helpful.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Bought mine at ADZPCTKO from the Bearvault people. If I recall.....they knew exactly where to send them.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Something to consider: you are NOT REQUIRED to have the canister until you reach Cottonwood Pass.

Therefore, if you are planning to resupply in Lone Pine (via Trail Pass to Horseshoe Meadows), you can avoid carrying the extra weight of the canister from KM to HSM by sending it to yourself in Lone Pine instead of to KM.

Your hike; your choice.

++ New Posts ++