WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Post tried hammock; didn't like it

I tried a HH Backpacker for a few nights here in California and decided to return it to REI. First of all, finding the right trees seems a hassle out here. It's probably a completely different story along the AT. I posted a question about using a hammock in the Sierras on several forums and heard from a guy who said too often you'd be above the treeline, or the trees were wrong where you'd want to make camp, or you might be in a treeless meadow. This confirms what I've seen.

Also, at least with the Hennessy, it was a bit too claustraphobic for me. If I play with a hammock in the future I'll try an open top design.

And I sleep cold, and keeping the bottom side warm is a big production. For the weight of the hammock and underquilt, I can carry more ground padding and get the comfortable (enough) sleep that checking out the hammock was all about in the first place.

See you all over in the ultralight forum in the future. Thanks for the help along the way.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

It's not for everyone. I do feel all should give it a try though. Enjoy whatever sleeping arrangments work for you. Sue/Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Agree with HH, it is not for everyone. I love my hammock . . . okay, hammocks (3 -- 2 Hennessy and 1 Speer), but admit that everything sierraDoug mentioned is or a least could be an issue.

Clausterphobia has not been an issue for me, but I clearly see how it could be for others. Spacing of trees is more of an issue than I thought it would be. Sometimes I have to search more than I expected to find the right spaced trees, the right size, and without other trees or branches in the way. It is, however, usually easier than finding a good flat root and rock free spot for a tent. Cold weather, without an underquilt or peapod is an issue.

Even so, I ain't going back to sleeping on the ground!

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with Trippclark. These could be some issues. But like he said in so many words. I am not going back to sleeping on the ground unless I absolutely have to. It is so much better to wake up in the morning without your back hurting and not being stiff. The comfort level is well worth it.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Ditto to all the above.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

With me and my back, there is really no option if I want to continue to be outdoors over night on trips. These things brought back a hobby that seemed to be gone forever and gave me new life......Shredder

Default A cold day in.......

It will be a cold day in He11 (or at least a sub-freezing night) when I sleep on the ground again.

But to each their own. HYOH

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default To Hammock or not to Hammock ...

Well ...I didn't go so far as to return mine, but I did decide that there is a time and place for hammock camping. And, at least for me, Winter is NOT one of those times. I've owned my Hennessey for 5 - 6 years (pre-asym design) and have had many a restful night dangling between trees in the north GA mountains, but only in the warmer months. In fact, I carried it for a while on my thru last year, but finally opted to send it home in favor of an ultra-light silnylon tent.

I've tried the vast majority of tips and tricks to make hammock camping comfortable during the colder months and finally came to the personal conclusion that the effort wasn't worth the payoff.

That said, I still enjoy my hammock and have no intention of returning it. In fact, one thing I need to do is get the larger fly. The original Hennessey came with a silnylon fly that is a tad skimpy.

As most people have stated, hammock camping probably isn't for everyone. It takes a bit of "getting used to" and some folks never can make the transitition. You have to re-think the organization of your gear and clothing to accomodate the fact that you generally don't have any of it inside the hammock with you and thus, if you need something in the middle of the night you might just have to open the velcro to crawl out and get it. Other than that, sleeping in a hammock is truly comfortable and it is somewhat liberating not having to find level ground to pitch your tent.

"Have trees ...will hammock"

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default hammock

I dont like hammocks either. My back is always sore in the morning if I sleep in such an arced position all night. Not to mention I like to camp more in the winter, so hammocks are out of the question. Too much convection.

Registered Troll
    Images

I tried a hammock last week and had a couple of problems. One was the pad sliding around all over the place and trying to throw me out of the hammock.

The other problem was changing positions. I'm a side sleeper and had a hard time turning from one side to another without the sleeping bag turning with me and getting all twisted. In a shelter or tent, you simply put a hand or elbow to the floor which holds the bag in place as you turn. But in a hammock there is no hard surface to pin the bag down with. I found myself having to turn very slowly and carefully, which is annoying to say the least when you're basically asleep and want to change positions with minimal effort and attention. Would using a quilt instead of a sleeping bag help with this?

Images

Default West vs. East

I think a big part of making a hammock work on a regular basis is living where there are plenty of trees and the nights aren't too cold. Like back east. Out here in the Sierras backpacking is different. In the middle of the summer the night temp's can be below freezing. You never know ahead of time. And there are great places in the Sierras to backpack above the tree line, or around scrubby, far apart trees.

Again, each to their own. After I get my basic gear list lightened up I might try making a simple (top-loading) hammock for low altitude camping... and for taking naps in town in the park!

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    I dont like hammocks either. My back is always sore in the morning if I sleep in such an arced position all night. Not to mention I like to camp more in the winter, so hammocks are out of the question. Too much convection.
    Soulmates, sore in the morning, thats what I thought too. to my relief thats not what happened, if the opposite. I feel better than sleeping in my home bed in the morning.Shredder

Solemates,

It sounds like either your hammock was not tight enough between trees or you were not sleeping at an angle in the hammock. These two things make you sleep quite level. On the other hand, if the hammock is not tight and you sleep straight in the middle it can make you very much arched.

Default The Soulmates...

Do you mind elaborating on what you meant here? (I understand the traditional meaning of the word perfectly.)

"Too much convection."

He's talking about heat loss under the hammock sleeper, as you are surrounded by cold air. Your heat is lost via convection from air moving past you. There can also be heat loss conductively, from having direct skin contact with the fabric.

There are a variety of strategies to deal with these issues of heat and comfort. I've chosen the Speer Peapod strategy, that places me in a loosely hung hammock, surrounded by a down quilt. In the back yard, it is toasty warm. I'm looking forward to a section in 2 weeks to try it out in colder arenas. I have a zero degree WM Puma bag as backup.

Default Well, Orangebug...

Heat loss during cold weather sleeping in a hammock ought to be less than bivy-sack sleeping on the ground. I was taught in Boy Scouts that if you are sleeping outdoors without a tent in cold weather and had only one blanket to put it under you, as you can expect to lose more heat from cold ground than from cold air. (I suppose that this rule presumed you were not wet.)

I'd heap a bunch of leaves and pine bows under me and use the blanket on top!

The problem is the surrounding cold moving air. I've dealt with sub-zero temps and did well with a thick Ridgerest and a 3/4 Thermorest ultra light. Once there is dead air under you, heat loss below is by conduction only, and that is slower.

Today's hammocks use pads inside the hammock, as well as quilts around it. I like the comfort of not having my old bony protrusions pushing into a floor. There is a trade off with the relative ease of staying warm.

...and during the winter, the air is often colder than the ground (e.g., the ground can be insulated by snow, a new more vigorous front can move in bringing colder air temps, etc.) Because of this, you bleed off more heat in a hammock than if you were sleeping on the ground. Add movement to that cold air and your bippy really starts to get cold. I think in any season the hammock sleeps cooler.

FB

The thing I don't like about a winter hammock setup is the weight is really heavy. I've never seen a winter setup under 5 lbs., and often it's way over. I'd rather take a 0 degree down bag at 3 lbs., a good pad, and sleep lighter at a shelter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by U-BOLT
    The thing I don't like about a winter hammock setup is the weight is really heavy. I've never seen a winter setup under 5 lbs., and often it's way over. I'd rather take a 0 degree down bag at 3 lbs., a good pad, and sleep lighter at a shelter.
    I agree with you U-Bolt. If I am going to carry that much weight just to use a hammock in the winter then I might as well go with a tent and sleeping bag that weighs less.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++