WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Vibram 5 finger shoes

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has used these shoes to hike with for all/part/most of the AT or camp shoe?

http://www.rei.com/product/798243

They seem like they are a little too light maybe? but I was just curious if anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks

Images

Ok, welcome to the VFF community first of all. I warn you these are addicting. once you start walking/hiking/running barefoot you wont want to go back, it just feels so much more natural. That being said yes i did the 73 miles through georgia in them earlier this march. It was snowy but the trail was moderate. they were fantastic, i was pushing about 15-20 miles a day with a 10-15 pound pack and my feet felt great, a little sore the first 2 days but that was it.

thanks, I'm really excited to give these a try!

Just got a pair for my b-day a few days ago. They've barely been off my feet since. Best shoes I've ever worn hands down. Never want to wear regular shoes again :-p

I wonder about how durable they are. I think I would have a lot of fun hiking in them, but they're too expensive to replace five times on the trail. Does anyone have any experience in them?
    Muss es sein? Es muss sein! Es muss sein!
    Must it be? It must be! It must be!

Journal Entries

Dang - I keep waiting patiently for stores around here to get in their inventory. I can't wait to get a pair!

Images

I've been wanting to get these for a while! But alas, no $. I would have to wait for my asics to die first. I would also love to know how durable these are, compared to a trusty pair of asics or Mizunos. The strange appearance isn't really a factor for me as I am usually walking around campus barefoot anyway. If anything, maybe people will think I'm less of a dirty hippy.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Journal Entries
    Images

Please do not stub your toes.......NO PROTECTION...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I haven't been wearing mine since last summer until just a few days ago.
    There is a break-in period for your feet and everyone's different, but I suspect the older you are the longer the adaptation process.
    I suffered for a couple of years with plantar faciaitis until I started using VFFs on short runs.
    They helped me correct a foot strike issue that I have been able to maintain to some extent in regular shoes.
    I did see a guy a few weeks ago finish a 30+ mile footrace in VFF on a mountainous course and some of it was fairly rugged.
    He would probably have been faster in shoes, but he finished -and I heard his experience in them on mountain trail was minimal.
    Sorry I didn't get the chance to ask him if he'd do it again
    I think your bare foot or minimal footwear allow your feet develop a kind of "foot sight" that makes minor things like stubbed toes less likely.
    Least ways, I've had no problems.
    And the VFF do have a bit of rubber turning up the face of the toes that protects against some scuffing.
    It's ashame they are on the pricey side, but at least they aren't contributing to a weakened foot/leg muscle system.
    Try 'em you may like 'em.

If you want to walk the trail bare foot, then these are for you. I just find the trail to be too tough for these shoes. They are great for around camp but you can and will feel every stone. I love 'em but not to hike in.

just got mine and im in love. i did an 18 mile section of benton mackaye this past weekend and hiked with them the whole way. some debri got in the shoe and occasionally, a stick would get caught in between the toes but other than that, they are perfect. i plan on getting some kso treks (if they come with some that arent the kangaroo leather) to stay a part of my backpacking arsenal.

I do not own the Trek style, but I have the classic, and I would not recommend them for trails that are rocky. You feel everything. I do not have sensitive feet either. I do love the way the feel on and for day use, around town and the office they are perfect.

I will advise NOT to buy online. These European sizes are not predictable when it comes to your toes. My second toe is slightly longer than the first and that really affected the sizing.

The Treks look interested and worth a try though. If they are tough enough for AZ trails, it is worth the money.
    SKITTLES

Images

Quote Originally Posted by esmusssein View Post
    I wonder about how durable they are. I think I would have a lot of fun hiking in them, but they're too expensive to replace five times on the trail. Does anyone have any experience in them?
    I was told they'll last about 300-500 miles, or about the same as any other trail running shoe.

Just found a review of the 5 finger KSO's:

http://specialcircumstancesinc.blogs...ew-almost.html

If you don't want to read the whole thing this is the part that probably relates the most to hiking:

Addendum: I wanted to add an observation that didn't really occur to me until after I wrote this. Last time I wore them it was on a rather strenuous hike in the Sandias. I wore a pack, with something along the lines of 25-30 pounds of gear in it. Now, it's pretty normal for me, after a long day of wearing a pack, that my lower back complains somewhat.
    However, that was not the case at all this time. Apparently, the FiveFingers encourage a different enough posture that the pressure on my lower back is almost completely eliminated. This is something to consider.

Images

As far as durability, I've worn mine everyday since back in August. They're the only shoes I wear. I've been hiking in them, running, fishing, swimming in a lake, played football, basketball, ultimate frisbee, and worn them in normal everyday conditions. I tore a small hole in the top on one big toes when I played basketball but it never got any bigger. The seam ripped near the big toe and sole on the other shoe but never got any bigger over the past few months or so. But finally a few days ago, I wore through the sole. So now there is a hole in the bottom of my shoe but only after about 9 months of costant use.
    I'm trying to find another pair online but it's hard to find average men's sizes because they're becoming so popular.
    As far as feeling things under your feet, you notice it less and less as the weeks/months go by. I wouldn't suggest trying to thru in them without having worn them for a few months prior. And I would suggest getting KSO if you're going to hike in them. Classics and sprints don't look like they'd be good for hiking.
    Also keep in mind that it rains a lot on the AT and Vibram's are in no way waterproof.
    They're great shoes though. And as others have said, you aren't going to want to wear other shoes after wearing these.

Journal Entries
    Images

Actually watched a person pick up a pair in his size at REI today. Asked him for a "open" opinion and he talked about his freinds experiences and stubbing toes and it didn't seem to matter. He said his feet were warmer and more comfortable sort of bear foot and great for surf.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have a pair of classics that I never take off. I am planning a through hike and would like to attempt it in the KSO treks. They are truthfully the best shoes I have ever had, the only downside I can think of is that I now hate to wear anything but my five fingers.
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

Images

be warned they get smelly. My feet get a little chilly in them if it's cold outside.

I haven't tried running in them, but i love them other than the stinkiness.

Images

i have two pair...kso and flow...theyre awesome! im wearing them currently on my thru-hike! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Trail name (and nickname since I was about 2): Chopper

I got a pair about a month ago, and am planning to take them on my first section hike in about two weeks. I did a three-night flat-land solo last week (the bottom 60 miles or so of the "Palmetto Trail" in South Carolina), and got a chance to do some actually trail running in them. I was surprised about not only how good they felt, but about how they held up at speed on the trail. Granted, if you hit a rock or a fallen branch squarely, you'll definitely feel it. But I've used them as camp shoes, trail-running shoes, done up to three miles at a time on asphalt and concrete (at about a nine-minute-mile pace) as well as just wearing them around downtown, and they feel incredible in all circumstance. I always wear them with a pair of Injinji micro socks, however.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++