WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is It Possible To Resupply 90% of The AT?

I have been observing for some time now on journals and forums that many hikers are going to stores of all sizes when in town. I would like to stay away from a diet of Ho-Ho's and Twinkies. I'm not sure I would like to purchase anything out of a supermarket either. Let's hypothetically say that I am allergic to everything but dehydrated foods from home. Better yet, I'm diabetic and have to have a specific diet geared towards that. You get the idea.
    There is a secondary reason for this question and that is, budgeting. I would like to have a good 90% paid for, with a few meals out as a treat. But, I would like to know where I stand finacially and rest assured that it is feasible. In other words, I "could"order all my dehydrated food or prepare it and be done with it.
    Now I have read some advice as to wether or not you would get tired of the same meal over and over. I fully understand that. I think it was Einstein who had seven sets of clothes so he didn't waste his thoughts on what to wear for the day. Well, whoever it was if I'm wrong lead me to think about it.
    I have seen the resupply list (thank you-but I don't remember who posted it) and it is the best thing I have so far.
    I will be attempting my thru next year in 2011 due to a physical setback.

Default Resupply 90%-Cont.

My support team will send as needed with the anticipation that there will be fluxuations in the general schedule or plan. If I went and purchased all the 90% food I wish for and find myself ahead of schedule and or I eat out a few more time,there would be nothing wrong with having dehydrated foods in the house.

Many of the towns have stores like Kroger, Bi-Lo, and Food City (large chain stores) that are either right in town, or a reasonable shuttle distance. If you are able to get foods that you can eat at your local grocery, then you should be fine getting it along the trail. You may need to be a bit more selective about the towns you stop in for resupply, but it shouldnt be that difficult to get 80 or 90% of your supplies as you go, instead of shipping it to you in mail drops.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

you only need a few mail drops check out the resupply link here on whiteblaze it is an excellent summary of where you can resupply . Maildrops are a PITA for the most part-you have to time you arrival according to PO operating hours -if you have special dietary needs it may be the price you will have to pay
    Hillbilly

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Been 7 years but I did the entire trail with 3 "food" mail drops. I can only imagine that it is at least that good if not better now. As long as you don't have special dietary needs you can generally walk/hitch into a town or convenient mart about every 4 - 6 days and get what you need to keep on keepin on.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I'm in a similar boat as you. I don't have Diabetes, but I can't eat alot of junk food, as it makes me sick. I'm planning mail dropping some of my food, but also plan on spending the money to buy better food along the trail. Surviving on Ramer, Lipton Sides, and Snickers is not my idea of fun. I also do not drink beer, which saves me a ton of money in towns.

I'm budgeting 5K dollars for my hike in '11, minus travel which will be provided by my family, and gear which I already have.

It will be way more than I'll ever need, but it allows me to not worry about it and enjoy the hike.

Garlic
    Images

My wife thru-hiked in '02 and she had her food all laid out and packaged for the first 1/2 of the trip. She hiked the first half with mainly mail drop food, at least 90%. So yes, it can be done. (That's the answer part of this post. The rest is editorial.)

But it was a major pain in the butt for her and her support team (me). The second half the trip she hiked with only two mail drops, and very few since then. I hiked in '08 with zero food drops, based on the lessons she learned and on my hiking style.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

i hear your argument, but have to agree that food drops are a huge hassle, in what, for me anyway, was supposed to be as hassle-free an experience as possible. And i didnt plan on eating out much either, but ended up doing so almost every chance i got. of course i'm not known for having incredible will-power, but the idea of a big greasy burger waiting for me in the next town was a powerful motivator.

Default Thanks

I have seen were people are estimating that a on trail budget of $3,000 is sufficient. Ofcourse the super-hiker( truck drivers call them "Super-Truckers") will say they did it with a three dollar bill, six nickels and found twenty pennies and pulled it off. Anyways, is this the cost of food or lodging or both?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I did the trail with 30 drops and made out just fine. No hassle, nothing. Only had to stay twice on a Monday to pick up an AM drop at a PO (which was no hardship for us). Drops are good if you're on a special diet or don't want typical hiker meals of ramen or other Knorr / Lipton noodles. There are also though some places with bigger food marts where you can get a better variety. But for space sake in the pack, weight etc, you're still mostly gonna end up with the same ol' thing. Unless its the food coop in Hanover.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

You might want to consider the REI's Backpacking Kit. It's loaded with all dehydrated meals and contains 70 selections. It weighs about 4 1/2 pounds, but when you consider the average re-supply is 2 pounds per day, it's worthy of consideration. If you have 20% off coupon, you can save $10 through 4/18.

Quote Originally Posted by goedde2 View Post
    You might want to consider the REI's Backpacking Kit. It's loaded with all dehydrated meals and contains 70 selections. It weighs about 4 1/2 pounds, but when you consider the average re-supply is 2 pounds per day, it's worthy of consideration. If you have 20% off coupon, you can save $10 through 4/18.
    Or just google "survival food" and you can get sets for 72hr to 1 year of meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Drummer Boy View Post
    Let's hypothetically say that I am allergic to everything but dehydrated foods from home. Better yet, I'm diabetic and have to have a specific diet geared towards that.
    After reading the above sentences, I don't see where you have a choice.
    What's the question again?

Will you get tired of the same food over and over again?
    Yes, if you only have a few choices available.

Will you have enough money?
    Yes, if you don't drink too much and learn to hike in the rain. (not hit a hotel everytime it rains like some)

Will it be hard? Of course.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Registered User rustedsatellite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    I'm in a similar boat as you. I don't have Diabetes, but I can't eat alot of junk food, as it makes me sick. I'm planning mail dropping some of my food, but also plan on spending the money to buy better food along the trail. Surviving on Ramer, Lipton Sides, and Snickers is not my idea of fun. I also do not drink beer, which saves me a ton of money in towns.

I'm budgeting 5K dollars for my hike in '11, minus travel which will be provided by my family, and gear which I already have.

It will be way more than I'll ever need, but it allows me to not worry about it and enjoy the hike.

I have the same problem as you with the junk food. It makes me feel nasty.
    Also, I'm planning a thru-hike in '11, too. see you on the trail!

If you start with the assumptions you made ,you are probably dead by now. Dehydration will not eliminate the allegins you claim to have. Will postage costs waste any savings on purchasing ? If you want to mail your food ,do that.If you want to purchasr as you go, do that. But if you want to analyize the facts to come to a conclusion, then do that with some basic logic that will be constant from start to finish. Go to the supermarket and start reading labels .Take what you are doing at home and see if it is transferable to the trail.Try some practice at home . You are about to start a 6 month adventure .If you are sucessful, preparation is the key. But you must start with a resonable set of facts to work with!As for the experience here you will find people have done it both ways and like their way but the trend and the much largher group buy as they go. They are generally working without diet restrictions

Einstein didn't have to eat his clothing for 5-6 months. Hypothetically, you're allergic to everything, but in reality you're not.

Can you mail drop all of your food? Yes. Might it (money-wise) make you feel like you're on top of things? Possibly. And arriving in town knowing that you know what's waiting for you is, I'll admit, something that seems great now. But I've done it, and even without the disaster suffered by a friend of mine who put laundry detergent in all of her mail drops, it got old. And then you know what? Having your food budget mostly spent suddenly seems like maybe not such a good idea.

If you really have restrictive dietary needs, then yes. Otherwise, it seems like a bad idea to me.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Default mail drops

No one has mentioned the cost.

I had never thought much about it, but at $8 to $10 USPS charge per drop was a large percent of the value of the contents of the drop.

Just sayin'
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Journal Entries
    Images

Im planning for a 2011 thru and after thinking out most gear and home logistic issues for my hike am still perplexed about the thru food scenerio. The only reason Im a candidate for a thru hike at my age is because I eat healthy. AND I WANT TO KEEP IT THAT WAY DURING THE 5-6 MONTHS IM ON THE TRAIL. My feeling from the WB forums is that there are quite a few other lurkers out there that share this concern. AND If given a mid to large size grocery or a cafe a cut above a fast food restaurant we can make the right nutritional choices w/o the hassle of food drops. Our recurring question for former thru hikers is : are the opportunities there along the trail to eat healthy?

Drummer Boy:

I have thru-hiked while relying almost entirely on food bought ahead of time and have thru-hiked while relying on virtually NO food bought ahead of time.

This has been extensively discussed here at Whiteblaze and a quick search on "Resupplying" or "Maildrops" will give you hours of reading.

In brief:

Unless you're on some sort of restricted diet (i.e. kosher, no salt, etc.) or unless you have the leisure and budget to prepare and dehydrate much of your food ahead of time, most contemporary thru-hikers choose to get most of their food while en route as opposed to pre-buying, packaging, and mailing their stuff ahead of time.

Reasons for this:

1. It's probably cheaper, as once you throw in the cost of mailing (or re-
    mailing food to yourself), buying ahead of time doesn't save you any
    money. At 10 bucks or more a box, this adds up in a hurry.
    2. It leaves you having to deal with Post Offices and their schedules/hours
    of operation. Here's the truth: If you rely on getting your food in the
    mail, sooner or later, you WILL wither lose a parcel; get it late or not at
    all; get it sent to the wrong place; have to have it forwarded or sent
    elsewhere; you'll have to have some friend or family member retrieve or
    collect a parcel for you (which may not work); or worst of all, you'll
    either have to speed up or slow down your hiking pace/schedule based on
    where your mail is and what day of the week you'll be passing thru town
    to get it. You really don't want your hiking schedule revolving around
    your mail.
    3. Most folks get sick and tired of their food. So will you. It's July 26th
    right now; it's 7:30 at night. I don't have a clue what I wanna eat
    tonight.......so why does anyone know on the 15th of February what
    they wanna eat out onthe Trail on the 15th of August? If you pre-buy
    and box up all your food before your trip starts, I guarantee you'll either
    end up hating a lot of it, giving a lot of it away, or more likely, buying
    new stuff, thus wasting money twice, i.e. the $ you spent buying the
    stuff in the first place, and then the $ you spent mailing it.
    4. A lot of folks get food ideas from their friends, i.e. they get ideas based
    on what they see other folks eating. If 90% of your food is pre-bought,
    then you won't have this spontaneity, i.e. you bought it and shipped it,
    so you're essentially stuck with it.

In short: Most folks seem happier buying most of their food on the A.T. while en route and there are countless places to do this. Most folks who pre-buy most of their food either end up regretting having done this, or more likely, they simply end up replacing this stuff with other stuff, food they actually want to eat. Six months is a long time to eat stuff you hate.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'd recommend reading Jack's articles on resupplying on the trail
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1
    I plan on buying along the way but having maybe 6 boxes with 5 days of food at home ready to ship as needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++