WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Where to Weekend Hike Near Washington D.C

Hello all,

Sometime this summer I will be visiting a good friend of mine who currently resides in D.C. While there, we would like to venture out of the city on a short 1 or 2 night hike of the AT. Neither of us are serious hikers but are in good shape and have camping experience. My question is......Where should we hike? Any suggestions on where we can go (not to far from DC/ no more than an couple hour drive) that would allow us to get the most out of the trail? Any good hostels/shelters in the area????

As an AT newbie, I can use all the help I can get!!

Thanks!!!

Journal Entries

I don't live in the greater DC area but sometimes visit relatives there. I recommend Great Falls (upstream from DC on the Potomac) as an interesting day hiking destination, and also the town of Harper's Ferry--a bit further upstream, with historic sights and also the Appalachian Trail Conservancy headquarters. From Harpers Ferry you could very easily do an out-and back one or two night northbound on the AT.

J.D.

Default Bears Den Hostel

Quote Originally Posted by badgergrl View Post
    Sometime this summer I will be visiting a good friend of mine who currently resides in D.C. While there, we would like to venture out of the city on a short 1 or 2 night hike of the AT. Neither of us are serious hikers but are in good shape and have camping experience. My question is......Where should we hike? Any suggestions on where we can go (not to far from DC/ no more than an couple hour drive) that would allow us to get the most out of the trail? Any good hostels/shelters in the area????
    Thanks!!!
    Google "Bears Den Hostel". It's within 1.5-2 hrs. of DC, an EXCELLENT Hostel, good/safe parking, stay inside or use big tenting/hammocking area. Hike SoBo on AT 4 miles to Sam Moore Shelter or NoBo 8 miles to Blackburn Hostel or 10 miles to David Lesser. Good water & privies at all 3 Shelters. You *WILL* get a good feel for the AT; it's part of the "Roller Coaster" w/lots of ups & downs. But, you said you were in good shape, right ? I've hiked both ways a few times - live 30 miles South of DC.

PM me with any questions.
    Happy Trails,

J.D.

Images

We've done 2 day/1 nighters from Snickers Gap northbound to Harpers Ferry - 20 miles with a night at David Lesser shelter; and one from Turner's Gap sobo to Harpers Ferry - also 20 miles with a night at Ed Garvey shelter. Gorgeous views from Weverton Rocks on the sobo hike. You can safely leave a car at the HF Visitors Center lot overnight and get someone to shuttle you to your start point. And when you end up in the town of HF you can stop for an ice cold beer at Secret Six Tavern or at least be easily able to buy some cold bottled water or a soda or ice cream.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

There's always Shenandoah National Park. The North district is within 2 hours of DC unless you leave around 4PM on a weekday, especially Friday. It might depend on what part of the DC area you're leaving from.

There are backcountry shelters in SNP and you can fashion loop hikes. Contact the PATC for maps and a good guidebook of SNP loop hikes.

Since you said you're going in summer, I'd recommend SNP because the higher elevations will give you cooler, more pleasant nights.

I've been away from the area for 25+ years so I don't know how it's changed, but...

For early Spring hikes and/or something really easy I always liked the C&O Canal. There were (are still?) areas that were free of people and sounds of civilization and the tow path was the easiest hiking I've found anywhere. The route is pretty with the canal on one side and the river on the other.

Later in the year I did Shenandoah NP and George Washington NF...a lot.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    I've been away from the area for 25+ years so I don't know how it's changed, but...

For early Spring hikes and/or something really easy I always liked the C&O Canal. There were (are still?) areas that were free of people and sounds of civilization and the tow path was the easiest hiking I've found anywhere. The route is pretty with the canal on one side and the river on the other.

Later in the year I did Shenandoah NP and George Washington NF...a lot.

FB
    I hate to disagree with you Fiddleback, but when my wife and did the AT through MD, the last 3 miles on the C&O Canal were the worst. 3 miles of hot, no shade, crushed stone walking. bleh! Biking is a good option or even canoeing. (not the trail)

To the OP, I second the Snickers Gap to Harpers Ferry, or you could start at Rt 70 in MD and go to Harpers Ferry. There is also the Catoctin Trail in MD. You can stay at one of the PATC cabins and check out Cunningham State Park.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    There's always Shenandoah National Park. The North district is within 2 hours of DC unless you leave around 4PM on a weekday, especially Friday. It might depend on what part of the DC area you're leaving from.

There are backcountry shelters in SNP and you can fashion loop hikes. Contact the PATC for maps and a good guidebook of SNP loop hikes.

Since you said you're going in summer, I'd recommend SNP because the higher elevations will give you cooler, more pleasant nights.

I second everything you wrote, for the same reasons.

PATC maps for Shenandoah National Park are the best—far superior to the National Geographic map. More detail, easier to read. You have to buy three PATC maps if doing the entire Park vs. one map, however. Of course, if you're just doing one section in SNP no need to buy the other two PATC maps.

In addition to the PATC site, here are others that have relevant info:

www.MVshuttle.com (lots of pages about SNP and beyond)

www.HikeLodge2Lodge.com (highlights a different kind of SNP experience that has become more popular in recent years)

www.hikingupward.com (regional site with lots of specific hike reports with photos—not limited to SNP)

http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm (official government site)

http://www.nps.gov/archive/shen/1e2d.htm (SNP backcountry regulations site)

Images

I'd like to put a few miles on in the Smithsonian. But that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Google "Bears Den Hostel". It's within 1.5-2 hrs. of DC, an EXCELLENT Hostel, good/safe parking, stay inside or use big tenting/hammocking area. Hike SoBo on AT 4 miles to Sam Moore Shelter or NoBo 8 miles to Blackburn Hostel or 10 miles to David Lesser. Good water & privies at all 3 Shelters. You *WILL* get a good feel for the AT; it's part of the "Roller Coaster" w/lots of ups & downs. But, you said you were in good shape, right ? I've hiked both ways a few times - live 30 miles South of DC.

PM me with any questions.
    Above would be my recommendation too, give or take. Bears Den to Harper's Ferry would be nice, and an interesting endpoint, about 20 mi total. Or the opposite way.

Also consider hiking SOBO from US 40A (Boonesboro/Turner's Gap) to Harpers Ferry. I did this as a shakedown for my 2008 thru-hike. Easy parking near old South Mountain Inn. You could hike in 2 mi to Rocky Run Shelter (new - the old CCC one has been preserved I think.) 10 miles to Ed Garvey Shelter, a nice 2-story one with tenting space too. In to Harper's Ferry the next day, about 6 mi, including easy stroll into town on C & O canal towpath.

If you're really inspired, put the two hikes together for a nice 38 miler with a good cross-section of AT, including 3 hostels from which to choose - a hostel in Harper's Ferry (can't think of name, a little pricey but nice, ask at outfitter if you don't spot it ), Blackburn Hostel, and Bear's Den Hostel.

The AT sections in the area are ok, but the best hiking around DC is the Billy Goat Trail along the Potomac just south of Great Falls, or Old Rag in Shenandoah National Park. Hike the Billy Goat northbound for a great reward of seeing Great Falls.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks View Post
    I hate to disagree with you Fiddleback, but when my wife and did the AT through MD, the last 3 miles on the C&O Canal were the worst. 3 miles of hot, no shade, crushed stone walking. bleh! Biking is a good option or even canoeing. (not the trail)
    I can't disagree. As I remember, I would add to your criticisms, too much/too close development...for the Canal area in/just outside D.C.. But further north it's great for a simple, weekend camping trip.

I shoulda been more specific but it's been a while and it would take a long time to find my notes and 'trail guide'...none the less, there were very nice stretches of isolated (for the area) backpacking including some nice riverside campsites. One of the last times I did the canal was an early Spring trip and the day was filled with the sounds of limbs crashing down...denuded and shadeless it was not. I did parts of the Canal in the 60's and again in the 80's and I don't remember gravel paths but I do remember the 'soft' and easy hiking on the tow path. For early Spring or Winter backpacking it's great...a bit muggy and buggy I suspect for later into the Summer.

The guide I have is put out by the Boy Scouts and I think it's this one: "184 Miles of Adventure: The Hiker's Guide to the C & O Canal", published by the Mason-Dixon Council of the Boy Scouts of America (18600 Crestwood Drive, P.O. Box 2133, Hagerstown, MD 21742). Bouncing around the internet I learned it's available at the Canal's visitors' centers and the Council's headquarters in Hagerstown.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

++ New Posts ++