WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which hike near SNP would you do?

I am in luck... it looks like I have some days in late April where I can get to VA for a nice long hike. I probably have time for 80-100 miles.

I am considering two hikes: 1) start at the bottom of SNP in Waynesboro and go north and see how far it take me, or 2) Start in Harper's Ferry and go South, ending up somewhere in SNP.

I enjoy strenuous hikes which argues for going from Harper's Ferry so I can experience the roller coaster. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having some company at the shelters at night, which argues for going from Waynesboro.

I probably can't go wrong either way, but does anyone have a recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    I am in luck... it looks like I have some days in late April where I can get to VA for a nice long hike. I probably have time for 80-100 miles.

I am considering two hikes: 1) start at the bottom of SNP in Waynesboro and go north and see how far it take me, or 2) Start in Harper's Ferry and go South, ending up somewhere in SNP.

I enjoy strenuous hikes which argues for going from Harper's Ferry so I can experience the roller coaster. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having some company at the shelters at night, which argues for going from Waynesboro.

Hiking in late April, you won't have a lot of company at night - maybe only on the weekends.

I'd hike SNP simply because it's nicer. As long as you're prepared for cold nights down to the 30s, you'll enjoy the early Spring wildflowers and the views since the trees aren't leafed out yet. Starting at Waynesboro, you'll have some ups and downs. SNP is relatively easy but it's not flat by any means.

AT 2012

Cookerhiker, how are the bugs in late april -- will be there the weekend of the 24th.
    Lazarus

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I did Waynesboro to Front Royal last April. I parked at the 4H center in FR and shuttled to Waynesboro. I think its about 120 miles that took me 8 days. Had snow one day, a few days of cold rain and some sunny days. There's not many people there that early except on the weekends near the waysides. If you check SNP's website on when the wayside's opening dates you can buy food there and not have to carry so much.
    I was there early April and there were no bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Cookerhiker, how are the bugs in late april -- will be there the weekend of the 24th.
    If you have a warm sunny day, there may be some gnats but nothing biting. Don H's April experience is very typical.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I did Waynesboro to Front Royal last April. I parked at the 4H center in FR and shuttled to Waynesboro.
    What shuttle service did you use and what was the cost? I'm thinking of doing this. Thanks.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post

If you aren't concerned with consentrating solely on the AT, I highly recommend white-oak canyon, old rag, and pine canyon. You can do all three as a sort of figure 8 like loop and incorporate the AT into the mix as well. The loop is by far one of the most impressive hikes in VA IMHO. White Oak canyon has spectacular waterfalls, old rag has an awesome boulder experience, and pine canyon has very interesting waterfalls as well. You can't go wrong with this loop and you'll still have plenty of miles of the AT to hike.
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    If you aren't concerned with consentrating solely on the AT, I highly recommend white-oak canyon, old rag, and pine canyon. You can do all three as a sort of figure 8 like loop and incorporate the AT into the mix as well. The loop is by far one of the most impressive hikes in VA IMHO. White Oak canyon has spectacular waterfalls, old rag has an awesome boulder experience, and pine canyon has very interesting waterfalls as well. You can't go wrong with this loop and you'll still have plenty of miles of the AT to hike.
    This can be the best of everything you're looking for.
    Start at the 4H center in Front Royal , hike north into SNP and merge onto the White Oak Canyon trail and do the loop Father Dragon mentioned and then either retrace your steps back to the car .

I'd pick a SNP map set , 3 sections, and maybe an additional map of Old Rag /pine canyon .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

hiked in the snp last weekend and came home with a big tick. got one down at mcafee knob the week before - beware.

++ New Posts ++