WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestion for where to start....

My husband and I are from Prescott, and I would like to start to piece together the Arizona trail. We will be most likely doing 2 day hikes, maybe with the sections that need more time, we would go to a 3 to 4 day hike.

With the current conditions, recent weather rain and snow, starting from the north is out.

I should mention we are hangers, so we really want to hit the areas that we can hang at. We do have a Tarp tent to go to ground for the necessary sections of the AZT.

I should also mention I'm a 2 mile and hour hiker...usually the sweep. I like to take my time and enjoy the scenery, so max miles for a day would probably be 9-12.

With that said...any suggestions on where to start piecing?

We are also noticing lots of "creek crossings" have turned into "river crossings" at this moment. Not too concerned, but something to consider.

Ideas? experiences?
    SKITTLES

Garlic
    Images

About the only places that come to mine for hammocking are above 6,000' and snow will be an issue at that elevation for at least another month or so. You don't see that elevation continuously until the Mogollon Rim.

At 12 miles per day, the lower sections will take a lot of logistics--more water caches than usual. Between Oracle and a well in White Canyon there's 80 miles where water is difficult. I cached water half way at Freeman Road, the only easy place to access with 2WD, and those 40-mile water carries were difficult at 30 miles per day. If you go much slower, you may need a 4WD high clearance vehicle and lots of driving time for more caches.

The Santa Ritas might be a good start--lots of water there, some great new trail from what I understand, decent access from a paved road, a nice town (Patagonia), some interesting history. Also look at the Superstitions, though access from the north end is tougher, unless you take the GET route out to First Water TH--see http://www.simblissity.net/get/.

Good luck out there. It's a great trail. Join the ATA and get map data from the website--the official guidebook is very out of date.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

what a great trip - i'm so jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmarbleshoe View Post
    My husband and I are from Prescott, and I would like to start to piece together the Arizona trail. We will be most likely doing 2 day hikes, maybe with the sections that need more time, we would go to a 3 to 4 day hike.

With the current conditions, recent weather rain and snow, starting from the north is out.

I should mention we are hangers, so we really want to hit the areas that we can hang at. We do have a Tarp tent to go to ground for the necessary sections of the AZT.

I should also mention I'm a 2 mile and hour hiker...usually the sweep. I like to take my time and enjoy the scenery, so max miles for a day would probably be 9-12.

With that said...any suggestions on where to start piecing?

We are also noticing lots of "creek crossings" have turned into "river crossings" at this moment. Not too concerned, but something to consider.

Ideas? experiences?

Thank you for the info.

I was at Reavis Ranch 2 weekends ago, and I met a lady that was Thru hiking the AZT by herself! She said that it is about a 7 week trip for her. She also said the lower end of Arizona is a HARD hike. Lots of planning, and you must make it to the water drop locations. I was so impressed by her determination and motivation. She said there was a bunch of other people that are thru hiking that started the same day as her, and they are about a day ahead of her. Her shoes fell apart within the first week and she had her son mail her a regular pair of tennis which were destroyed by Reavis Ranch.

She also said she had done the AT and CDT and by far the AZT is the hardest. She said trail finding was at times very difficult and the terrain will kick your butt. She's planning the PCT next year. But the AZT will give her something to REALLY be proud of.

With that being said, I think I will spend the next couple years training for it. Get my fitness level up, and speed. I will not lose sight of this goal, but I want to be realistic as well. I can always start at Mogollon area and piece it together in 3 day trips until I'm ready to start it from Mexico heading up.

I'll tell ya, that woman was amazing. My idol for sure. I'll get there. I will not be doing it alone though, for sure! My hubby will be by my side encouraging me.
    SKITTLES

++ New Posts ++