WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief!

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Thief!

It is with a certain amount of anger and saddness that I feel that Ihave to start letting the AT community know about a situation. I am angry because the authorities can't seem to catch this guy!! I am angry and saddened that one "hiker" can cause so much trouble to the AT community. It is a constant effort to educate our communities about who hikers are and why they should be welcome in our towns. Then, in just a few days, I am afraid that this "hiker" has hurt the effort to promote hikers as more than homeless vagrants and thieves. (I am thinking of all kinds of new uses for Duck Tape right now!!) I have double checked these details and I believe these to be mostly accurate.

Several weeks ago a hiker that was going by the name of "SAVED" was hiking southbound in PA and stole a girls food bag and some other items. He was later confronted by other hikers and forced to make restitution to this hiker. SAVED left hiking south.

A couple of weeks later a man wearing hiking gear broke into a home in Wintergreen where he traded his stuff for nice, newer, hiking gear...
    ( Wingfoot sent service providers a list of the gear that was stolen and a description of the man) He cooked himself some food, resupplied himself, stole a car and drove away. The car was later found near Bland, Va. A decription of the man seen in the area was put out by the Wintergreen police. Hikers identified him as SAVED. These hikers were able to give a very detailed description to the police:

Late 20's - Early 30's, 5'10. 160 pounds, very dark hair cut short and a black beard.
    He is from Rhode Island and has a distinct accent.
    He has numerous "Celtic or Japanesee type" tribal tattoos on his neck, shoulders, arms and legs. At one time he was carrying an ornamental machette. He is still believed to be carrying a bayonette.
    Hikers have reported him as being very "friendly and nice" and he seems to have been well liked by some people. This may explain partly why he has not been caught.

For the last couple of weeks Southbound Thruhikers have seen SAVED many times and reported his whereabouts to the police. Despite several middle of the night raids on shelters in Southern Va by police with flashlights... they did not catch him. At one time a hiker told the police where and when SAVED would be at a road crossing. The hiker later saw Saved right there, when he said he would be there, but there were no police.

SoBo's have reported seeing him recently in both Catawba and Pearisburg. He is suspected of stealing a car ?? in Southwest, Va a few days ago. This car was found at Indian Grave Gap here in Unicoi County two nights ago. Yesterday a red, Nissan Pathfinder was stolen 9 miles south on the AT near the Nolichucky river. Police are still looking for SAVED and request that any information be directed to the Unicoi County Sheriffs Department.

Last night at 11"O clock on our TriCity wide local news the opening Headline was "APPALACHIAN TRAIL THIEF!". Within minutes I was receiving phone calls! The local radio station ran the story this morning as well as the local paper. More phone calls! This "thief" seems to have no concept of right and wrong and no respect for other people's things or the AT. I am afraid that this has already hurt the AT community... in the eyes of many in this area and I hope he will be picked up soon before he causes more damage. No one seems to think he is "dangerous" but he is certainly hurting every single one of us in the long run!

Registered Troll
    Images

lemme no where he is and i'll drop a slick doodoo in his path and trip him up pronto

Has anyone been able to get a picture of this *******, could it be elwood?

tideblazer
    Images

Damn yellow-blazers
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Last week I was hiking from 4 Pines to Bearwallow Gap and I remember seeing his entry in one of the registers. I don't remember which one; just thought it was an interesting name so it stuck with me. As far as I know I didn't meet him but did see Jack Straw, Flounder, Fly and a couple others. One of them may have a picture.

Journal Entries

This is a terribly ominous threat to the trail. I tend to trust people. My doors are never locked, well not since the windows of my ancient 1940 Buick began to being broken every evening in an alley way in Chicago 55 years ago.

My theory? The car was pretty worthless. Nothing inside had any value. Why compound the damage by locking the door?

If truth be known, I haven't locked much of anything since. A decade or so ago someone broke in (well actually, they walked in because I hadn't locked my doors in years) and stole part of my stereo gear.

After that I locked the doors religiously -- for a week or so. Then logic took hold. If anyone really wanted to break in, I realized, they would need only to break one of the sidelight windows, reach in and turn the knob, even easier than breaking the windows of my long gone, but dearly beloved ancient Buick.

Short of buying into a gated community, something I have never been able to afford, sneak theives cannot be stopped.

Especially on trails.

Weary

Another example of how the actions of one individual can impact things for everyone.

REGION 8

George Washington and Jefferson NF’s –On 10/1, LEI employees responded to a call for assistance from Appalachian Trail NP and the Wintergreen, VA PD personnel regarding a southbound hiker wanted for questioning in connection with three burglaries and auto theft. Several interviews were conducted and the search narrowed to a six-mile section of the trail and a trail shelter on the New River Valley RD. The search continued into the night with no results. Indications are the suspect left the trail, but it is anticipated he will to return to the trail and continue south.

Cool

Keep us posted! I love this trail and can't imagine the actions of one no-talent assclown will take down the whole thing.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TakeABreak
    could it be elwood?
    The descriptions don't match. Elwood is quite a bit older with gray hair and no one has ever mentioned tatoos.

The personalities don't seem to match either. Elwood comes across as a wimpy thief. This guy seems to have some balls.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

I talked to a SOBO here in Damascus this morning who has hiked with this Saved guy. Says he's a really nice guy. Helps out hikers. Apperently he was suicidal at one time and someone steered him to the AT. Now he's "saved". I'll be on the lookout for the wiley bastard.

this is worse than the guy posing as a park ranger this year

Thanks Miss Janet !

Default Saved

I was the trailangel that helped him make the articles that he stole from another hiker right. I mailed the stolen belongings back to her and had him do work in my home to earn food that I purchased and sent to her. I am going to try to upload a pic of him.

P.S. It saddens me that there are people out there that are giving the wonderful people that I have met that hike the trail a bad name. Hopefully, people will realize that he is one bad apple from a giant tree of great ones.

Images

Isn't it a little ironic that in the photo he is wearing a "Stealer" T-shirt?

any luck finding this turd?

I saw this guy in SNP back around Labor Day and he told me his whole suicidal story... I just hiked the section from Catawba to Buena Vista last week.. and thought it was strange that I saw register entries from him near catwaba but not as I went north.. strange.. thats too bad he seemed like a nice guy...

Coasty

Here is an update on Saved and request for assistance from the NPS. Copied from another list.

> Greetings Deep South club leaders,
    >
    > Our NPS law enforcement partners need your club's help with a couple of
    > law enforcement issues.
    >
    > ********
    >
    > First, they are asking for assistance in finding a stolen vehicle taken
    > from an A.T. trailhead near Erwin, TN. They believe it will or has
    > already been abandoned at an A.T. trailhead south of Erwin, TN. Here's
    > some information on the vehicle:
    >
    > 1997 Red Nissan Pathfinder SUV
    > North Carolina license plate = NZX9070
    >
    > If anyone in your club were to spot this car, please contact:
    >
    > 911
    >
    > Ranger Todd Remaley @ (301) 639-0167 cell
    > @ (717) 258-5771 x205 office
    > @ [email protected]
    >
    > Investigator Steve Southworth @ (434) 989-7607 cell
    > @ (540) 471-3144 office
    >
    > The NPS would like to learn of this ASAP, so we encourage your folks to
    > try contacting 911 or the names listed ASAP if you have any information.
    >
    > *********
    >
    > Secondly, they are looking for information on the whereabouts of an A.T.
    > hiker who they believe to be linked to several stolen cars (the car
    > mentioned above and 2 others recovered at A.T. trailheads south of where
    > they were stolen from). This individual was last seen on the A.T. south
    > of the Nolichucky River and is wanted for questioning in Virginia and
    > there also have been two arrest warrants issued for him. Here's some
    > information on the individual:
    >
    > Trail name = "Saved"
    > Real name = David Lescoe
    > Age = 33
    > Height = approximately 6'
    > Weight = approximately 160 pounds
    > Physical description = White male with dark hair, possibly a dark beard,
    > and tatoos on the wrist, arms, shoulders, and calf
    >
    > He is known to carry knives but is not considered dangerous. He should
    > NOT be alerted to the fact that he is being saught as he is considered a
    > flight risk. He is believed to be carrying stolen camping gear. Please
    > observe items (i.e. clothing, boots, camping gear, etc.) in his possession
    > and if possible, document him with his gear in a photo. Be sure NOT to
    > alert him to why you're taking his picture.
    >
    > **********
    >
    > Please pass this message on to your club folks and ask them to report any
    > information they might have ASAP to 911 or the same contacts above.
    > We'd like to catch this guy, remove him from the trail, and let the
    > authorities prosecute.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ATC
    > --
    > Matthew Davis
    > ATC Associate Regional Representative
    > for Ga., N.C., and Tenn.
    >
    > P.O. Box 2750
    > Asheville, NC 28802
    > 828.254.3708 Phone
    > 828.254.3754 Fax
    >
    > Visit our website at http://www.appalachiantrail.org
    >

received update to post on the NHC website indicating a photo available.
    cannot seem to locate the photo - would someone please let us know where we can
    find the photo - thanks

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++