WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hikingsasquatch Hikingsasquatch's Avatar
    Images

Default Where in the world is Ward Leonard?

Back in 1996, I heard rumors of a man who almost continuously hiked the AT. He was reported to claim to have thru-hiked more times than anyone else, as well as holding a grudge against Wingfoot. The eccentric depiction of this notorious character-who was also reported to have harassed other hikers occasionally, claiming that they weren't "real" hikers because of this and that-left me with great curiosity. He was said to have inherited a significant trust fund that his parents left him to support his obsession with the Trail. Some said that he would hike on Mountain Dew and Snickers and hike 30 miles a day (or night). One day on my thru, a Southbounder told me that he had passed the mysterious fellow some a ways back. Then, sure enough, I looked up to see a man who fit the description of Ward Leonard. Long-sleeved poly underwear with shorts and a long-brimmed ball cap pulled way down over his face. As was consistent with the rumors, he didn't make eye contact, slow down, or step aside as he approached. At a brisk pace, he barreled straight down the trail and would have knocked me aside had I not evaded him. Years later, I think of him fondly as one of the most interesting personalities of the trail. How much of the rumors were true? I have no idea, though I would love to know if anyone else does, or if there have been any sightings since.

Images

Try the search feature. Lots of mention of him.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Default Rumors

I hiked with Ward for a couple of days before he got a head of me. I was one of the few people he respected. Ward told me some interesting things. He never claim to be a saint but he did say something that was interesting. He said some of the tail talls got larger and larger as it was pass from one hiker to the next. He also said because he had such a bad reputation, some of the stories were complete made up by hikers he never even met. I saw some of that myself. He was dam if he did, dam if he didn't do it.

He wasn't a saint but I though there were some hikers that were worst than Ward.

Wolf

i've known Ward since 1989. a little abrasive and misunderstood. like me. and one hell of a hikin' machine. like me

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i've known Ward since 1989. a little abrasive and misunderstood. like me. and one hell of a hikin' machine. like me
    I always picture you smiling or even laughing as you type your pithy remarks. Helps to understand where you are coming from, the lighter side of the AT - "it's just walking".

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I always picture you smiling or even laughing as you type your pithy remarks.
    yup. 99% of the time. just messin' around . some folks, especially on other sites, don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yup. 99% of the time. just messin' around . some folks, especially on other sites, don't get it
    egg-xactly

anyone know how old ward is? thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

You all call him Ward but he told me his name was "Chip.'

He told me his dads name was Ward and he did not want to be called Ward.........

I figured I was going to have to tangle with him when I first encountered him but it turned out pretty good and he was a wealth of info about the trail for a new hiker like me at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    You all call him Ward but he told me his name was "Chip.'

He told me his dads name was Ward and he did not want to be called Ward.........

I figured I was going to have to tangle with him when I first encountered him but it turned out pretty good and he was a wealth of info about the trail for a new hiker like me at the time.
    TOW,

I think your thinking of a hiker who years ago called himself "Chip" Leonard. He wasn't Ward that everyone is talking about. He made it a point to do everything that Ward was against.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    anyone know how old ward is? thanks
    He should be around 51 right now.

Wolf

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    TOW,

I think your thinking of a hiker who years ago called himself "Chip" Leonard. He wasn't Ward that everyone is talking about. He made it a point to do everything that Ward was against.

Wolf
    No this is the Ward that everyone is talking about......

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I'm 98% sure Ward and Chip are the same person, though Chip had aged a bit from the Ward many of us here knew. By the time Ward morphed into Chip he was—on a good day—the kinder, gentler version. Just a personal observation.

++ New Posts ++