WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Pros and Cons of Gaiters

Hello all,
    What's your opinions on using gaiters while backpacking in the summer? Upsides/downsides? Thanks in advance!

Images

The one and only upside to wearing gaiters in the summertime is to keep bits of dirt, rock, etc out of your shoes or boots. I think this is a pretty minimal benefit, as it is rare (in the last 5000 miles of hiking) for me to get much crude inside my shoes, and it is really pretty easy to get it out. One might be able to argue (poorly, I think) that the gaiters will help keep ticks off of you.

On the downside, putting gaiters on will increase the heat of your feet. Depending on the person, this could mean a big increase in blisters, as your feet sweat more and more. I think having comfortable feet is rather important to hiking, so this is a big downside for me.

On a more vain note, I personally think people wearing gaiters in the summer look absolutely foolish, while others think they look more outdoorsy, in a technical sort of way.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Only Pros ...

Not really any "cons" to gaiters, unless you consider having to put them on and take them off to be a "con". You either like them or don't.

Only thing to be careful about is the material used. Saw a lot of hikers on the AT in 2003 with the Gortex kind who were complaining about the warmth. Same thing that keeps water out keeps the water in ...I used to tell them.

All you really need is something to shed moisture and prevent dirt and debris from getting in your shoes/boots. Another nice feature of the high gaiters is that they keep brush off your legs in the latter part of the summer when the hiker population starts to fall off and the trail gets a bit crowded with shrubs.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Yeah, those knee high gaiters in the summer look goofy as hell.

Images

Having hiked very much in the Muddy NE and Adirondacks, I always thought of gaitors as standard equipment. I really liked my OR crocs.

However, after moving to PA on '00 I stopped wearing my crocs after my first hike. I did later go out and get some breathable stretchable low nylon jobs for over my 806's, to keep crap out of my shoes (I mistakenly thought that is was forest duff getting between my heel and the back of my old 803's and 804's, wearing them out prematurely).

While I still wear my gaitors on longer, wetter, muddier peak trips in the NE with my heavy boots, I have given up on them for general backpacking.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I have never owned or used them.

It always seemed to me that their principal purpose was to keep twigs, pebles, and other assorted crud out of one's shoes. This happens every so often, but not that much, and for me, stopping and digging the offending matter out of my boots is always a good excuse to take a short rest break.

Default Liked mine

I hiked the whole trail with the long ones and liked them. They kept a lot of mud off my boots and pants. They kept overgrown paths with jaggers from scratching my legs when I was wearing shorts- also made less area for misquitos and black flies to bite. I do not tend to sweat a lot and wore leather boots with goretex lining. I maybe had one or two blisters the whole time on the trail and they weren't bad ones. The only time my feet got wet (twice) was when I stepped in water over the top of the boots.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default gaiters

hiked the whole trail without gaiters, even though I have a pair. we even hiked in up to 3 ft of snow and never had a need for them. you dont really need them. they are just extra weight. in snow, your feet are gonna get wet anyways, even with gaiters. in rain, the same is true. in summer, yes, gaiters do help with the rocks, but in my opinion they are way too hot, thus outweighing their advantages.

So the possible plusses (sp?) is less area for bugs and tics to go, and keeping stuff out of your boots. Why not just wear pants and wear them over your boots. True, not as rockproof, but would it be just a minimal gain with the gaiters?

Thanks

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

people do not really wear pants on the AT all that much. wearing shorts does allow for rocks, etc to get in your boots, but after a while you grow accustomed to it and it doesnt bother you. if it is so large that it does bother you, take 5 seconds and dig it out.

For what it's worth, here's my two cents.

I hiked for decades with out them. And then bought some for my thru-hike and used them. Afterwards, I usually don't use them.

The theory is that gaiters keep skree out of your shoes, and thus your socks stay cleaner and don't wear out as fast, or you don't need to stop and empty out your boots. While that's true, they also keep your feet warmer. Even the OR Rocky Mountain Lows that I used. One thing for certain, it didn't stop my feet from getting wet when it rained. Water ran down my legs and right into the boot just like always.

I don't wear them when I am wearing long pants because the cuffs on the pant legs keep the skree out anyway.

If you are going through snow, then there is a place for them. If you are in muddy conditions, then there is a place for them.

So, I really have mixed feelings about them. Like all gear, it's all personal preference. Why not start without them, and see if you are getting a lot of skree in your boots or not. Mountain Crossings and other outfitters will be happy to sell you a pair if you decide later to try them.

Summer-Short cheap gaitors to keep crap out of the boots. $6.00 CA at MEC (100 grams ~ 3.5 oz). Keeps pebbles, twigs, and mud out of the boot. If you're quick, water too. In addition, they keep mud off your laces. Shorties cover so little area, I don't see any bug protection. But they will keep burrs and such off your socks also. Long ones in summer can be warm. Don't waste your money on Goretex ones unless you plan on using them in the winter.

I have hiked in 3 ft of snow, that is to say, post-holing. Without gaitors, as you drag your boot out of the snow, the top edge of the boot will scrape snow around the ankle. This is cold, wet, and uncomfortable IMO. Also, repelling slushy water is needed, sometimes there's snow on top, slush below. But these are winter problems.

Images

I ditched my tall boys in Waynesboro for some short gaiters that broke in N. Woodstock. I trashed them at the Cascade B and B and went to Katahdin, never needing, missing or remotely thinking about having gaiters. They are pretty worthless IMO.

I found that the tall boys simply made my legs sweat unecessarily. I started to get acne on my legs, which sucks. I have my long ones for occasional winter trips, though I wouldn't recommend buying them, let alone saying they are necessary. As Chris hinted, I believe they are more for the "outdoorsy" feel more than anything.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default LW, you make me sick...

I just got back from hiking the JMT with 4 other guys, I was the only one who wore full gaitors. I'm glad I did, it kept the fine sandy dust off my legs and out of my boots. They also warm up my legs in the morning, Shorts and gaitors are a nice step down from pants. I wore them on the AT and MY SOCKs NEVER GOT DIRTY.

Now, whether girls should wear underwear on the trail...that's worth discussing.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Hmmmmm ...

Hey Skeemer ...quit trying to change the subject !!
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skeemer

Now, whether girls should wear underwear on the trail...that's worth discussing.

depends on the weather, cold weather you defintely need long underwear
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

blue blazin' hiker trash

I don't care if I look goofy, but I almost always wear gaiters. I buy the cheap ones from Campmor, they breathe much more than the OR ones because the fabric is a lot lighter. They usually last 800 miles or so.

I like them most in the mud. For some reason when I hike in the mud the dirt seems to crawl up my legs, when I get to camp I can just take off my gaiters and my legs aren't as filthy.
    I also like them in the wind because they usually keep me warm enough that I don't have to stop and put pants on. (I do wear shorts, and underwear if you're really curious). They're like half-pants.
    I also do a lot of hiking in the Whites and the keep my shins from getting scraped up.
    You see, I am goofy looking and rather clumsy.

I also wear them around town to make myself look more outdoorsy and to solidify my position in society as a former thru-hiker. Make that a worthless slackpacker who's hiked a lot of miles.
    -java

Before my thru-hike, I never used to wear gaiters except in snow. But I got the low ones part way through my hike, and I have to admit I like using them. First, they keep all of those sharp spruce needles and pesky peebles from tormenting me. Second, I am a "clutzy walker" so somehow I always seem to end up rubbing mud on the inside of my lower legs, socks and boots...but now it's usually only the gaiters that get overly muddy.

As for it being too hot...although I'm the type that sweats profusely, I am one of those "blue foots" with poor circulation to the extremeties. So, my feet getting too hot is not usually a big concern for me (a plus in the summer but a definite minus in the winter!).

Outdoorsy vs. Goofy?...Well that's easy, and there is no way around it. Gaiters definitely look goofy!!! But that's okay, I have a long history of looking goofy! (Lots of people think my hiking poles look strange, too.)

Question snake proof gaiters

I never intend to buy any gaiter before my thru hike attempt this year, but after seeing more snakes being bathing for sun on the trail, will consider buying snake proof gaiters.

While hiking, I got the stories that Ranger died of heart attack resulted from panic due to the snake bite. I met a most recent snake bite victim at trail days. He showed me the wounds. I head the story that you would have to pay whooping $1,000 for an anti-venom shot. I d rather $40 snake proof gaiters over a luxury trip to hospital.

yeah, I know I might look goofy all the way from Springer to Katahdin, but it will always give me a ease at mind with relaxing, worry-free that those fangs of angry snakes won't get through my flesh.

Sorry if my opinion might be of any difference from Balt. Jack.

Snake proof gaiters will be my best insurance protection like how your insurance company loves car with airbags.

Flash Hand

Images

The AT and other trails for me have never been about making a fashion statement. So I guess to some and their opinion I look goofy in my gaiters.
    I don't see a need for the foot long, up to the knee things but the shorties have earned their worth to me by keeping mud out of my boots and my boot laces from getting muddy. I've not noticed any problem with my feet sweating from gaiters. I like them and that is all that matters to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++