WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default cheaper packs ok?

Hello! I have just read many of these pack posts. I have used a Gregory Palisades for a long time, and am needing to find something lighter! I would love to try a ULA pack, but they are pricey! I was looking at some of the REI packs, just to get a sense of the cu. in. sizes, and they are still pretty light and a lot cheaper. With a coupon, I could get a great deal.

I don't usually try to buy mainstream gear, but the price is great. Anyone use REI packs? Or any of their "ultralight" packs? Thanks!

The REI Flash 65 is great pack. The top comes off and can be used as a day pack.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I don't regret selling my REI UL60 to fund a ULA. Saved over a pound, carries better, made in the USA.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

If the pack fits, wear it. With the REI, a return is easy if it doesn't suit you.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

ULA packs don't cost as much as Gregory packs.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Take a look at:
    Z Packs
    GoLite
    Gossamer Gear

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I don't regret selling my REI UL60 to fund a ULA. Saved over a pound, carries better, made in the USA.
    I had an REI Cruise 60, the predecessor to the Flash 65, and sold it to help fund my ULA Catalyst as well. It was a decent pack, but I don't regret selling it not even one little bit.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lishreenders View Post
    Hello! I have just read many of these pack posts . . Anyone use REI packs? Or any of their "ultralight" packs? Thanks!
    A lot depends on your budget. If you can afford something spiffy, by all means go for it. If not find something that works for you and get out on the trail.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    ULA packs don't cost as much as Gregory packs.
    I agree! I bought that one on a pro-deal while leading trips. Now that I don't have to carry so much gear (not leading trips), I can't wait to go smaller. By the way, I have a 4800 cu. in. Gregory to sell...

I wouldn't consider REI packs to be cheap. They are not top of the line, but they not bottom of the barrel either. What you want to stay away from is the Walmart packs. REI doesn't make junk, it may not be superuberlight like some folks want, but their products very workable and carry the best warranty out there.

Images

You can find GG Vapor Trails and Nimbus Ozones on EBay for $90-$125 NEW! They are older models that don't have the straps thru the side pockets but thats an easy fix and you can't beat the price.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

if you get super lucky you might find someone to sell you their ULA here online. i got a conduit here for 75 that i really love...
    JRiker
    Patience and Positivity will keep you alive!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/bighatcreations

Yep, it's confusing especially when you hear of trail legends like Grandma Gatewood who carried all her stuff in a homemade bag darped over one shoulder. Extreme yes. But you don't sound like the Grandma Gatewood type......

That said, I didn't see any REI packs on the trail last year....... or hikers with homemade bags draped over one shoulder.

I've got the REI Flash 65 and really like it. Is it the best or lightest pack out there? No. But for the price point I don't think you'll find a better pack. Plus as has been stated earlier, you can return the pack to REI for a FULL refund no questions asked, if you decide you don't like the pack after using it.

Images

Is it cheaper to buy that "cheap" pack.....find out it doesn't work....and then buy a second pack? You're wearing that pack every day, 8-12 hours a day. The two things that have to fit and fit well are your pack and your boots. Don't skimp on either.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Any one here think Ospreys, which I hear are very nice, are worth the price differential over a North Face or REI pack?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Any one here think Ospreys, which I hear are very nice, are worth the price differential over a North Face or REI pack?
    No. They're all made in some 3rd world sweat factory. And while North Face is the place to go if you're in Junior High and looking for a fleece jacket, I'd be a little nervous about a lot of their other gear.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

it all comes down to personal preference. different people are rougher on their gear than others. however, my experiences with cheaper packs are disastrous. stay away, *ahem* STAY AWAY from the outdoor products company. dont get that confused with outdoor research (OR), they make great stuff. outdoor products is about as cheap as it gets and they fall apart fast. sorry i dont know much about ULA packs, but i do know to stay away from cheap gear. that i can help you with.

Guy on BPL has a pretty good deal on some used packs right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++