WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Walking Sticks

Really? Another necro bump?

poles pic.jpg Hand made poles of the PCT: free, light, effective, disposable, and they look cool.

Just search youtube and there are tons of videos for diy of trekking poles. Though most of them are from old golf clubs, a couple use bamboo. I imagine it would be an interesting project if you were so inclined. Years ago, I made a hiking stick with a bamboo stick. I replaced it with sassafras (like someone else here) which strangely enough is very light.I have a yucca stick but have only sanded it. I have liked the sturdiness and security of a large stick, but I am going to try trekking poles. You can't put a hiking stick in your luggage and fly anywhere.Also I have been watching the videos for using trekking poles and there are some techniques that seem to help me hike a bit faster. I do take a collapsible hiking pole on trips, it was not cheaper than trekking poles though, it's too long and not adjustable.

I used Walmart poles. 20 bucks. They lasted the entire trip and saved my butt more than a few times. I saw quite a few out there with walking sticks this year though.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries
    Images

Just some info: I thru hiked and I used trekking poles. I believe that they prevented many falls. For the past 15 years I have served as a volunteer caretaker at the cabin on Upper Goose Pond. The cabin is located 1540 miles from Springer. I would say that 90% of the long distance hikers that stop at the cabin are using trekking poles. Many hikers start without them, but soon discover their usefulness.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I used Walmart poles. 20 bucks. They lasted the entire trip and saved my butt more than a few times. I saw quite a few out there with walking sticks this year though.
    I'm sure if you don't mind re: brand name or a few ounces you can get perfectly good trekking sticks for less money than DIY. Just bought some off Amazon for under $40 (understand you can get them a little cheaper if you have a Costco account). I doubt you really save any money making your own, and that DIY would be more because you enjoy making stuff/using stuff you make.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    I'm sure if you don't mind re: brand name or a few ounces you can get perfectly good trekking sticks for less money than DIY. Just bought some off Amazon for under $40 (understand you can get them a little cheaper if you have a Costco account). I doubt you really save any money making your own, and that DIY would be more because you enjoy making stuff/using stuff you make.
    True, you won't save money making your own.

However, I made some for myself and have made a few (VERY few, as in 3) sets for friends to fit some particular specs I was looking for which were not available commercially. The parameters were 1) carbon fiber, lightweight but a bit more robust than the material use in GG LightTrek poles, 2) 2-section, 3) adjustable length, and 4) cam lever locks (flicklocks, not internal twist cams). The ones I made utilize carbon fiber tubes found on ebay, Black Diamond distance pole tips and flicklocks, and GG Kork-a-lon grips. Mine ended up weighing 4.3 oz each, and have been quite durable — I haven't done a thru with them but overall they've got well over 2000 miles on them with no problems.
    But with the cost of materials and time to make them (depending upon how much my labor is worth) they probably cost over $200.

Sometimes that's what it costs to get exactly what you want!
    John H trek poles.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 11-02-2017 at 15:58.

A maple two piece pool que has a nice balance and thump factor of about a 8, a wiener trident is a nice accessory to round out the package.

Journal Entries

How on earth can we have a productive discussion about walking sticks without a good picture?
    WalkingStick102817 vert.jpg
    This 4" specimen was found on a tent at Big South Fork on a chilly morning last weekend. We moved him/her to a tree in hopes it would be a safer place. You can see a nub to the left of the head where one leg is missing. I understand they can regenerate lost limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    How on earth can we have a productive discussion about walking sticks without a good picture?
    WalkingStick102817 vert.jpg
    This 4" specimen was found on a tent at Big South Fork on a chilly morning last weekend. We moved him/her to a tree in hopes it would be a safer place. You can see a nub to the left of the head where one leg is missing. I understand they can regenerate lost limbs.
    Those are for hikers that don’t know how to hold walking sticks, this model holds you...takes a little gettin’ used to.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    True, you won't save money making your own.

TTACH=CONFIG]40841[/ATTACH]
    You did a nice job. Not sure what the grips are.

Can you edit? Okay sorry, just wanted the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    You did a nice job. Not sure what the grips are.
    They're Gossamer Gear Kork-o-lon. They look like cork but they're actually some sort of EVA foam.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++