WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool aqua blazing question

Just wondering if anyone knows of good sections to float instead of walk.

you could float the Shenandoah from wayneboro to harpers ferry. It parallels the trail. the only outfitters I know of are at luray, Va. near thornton gap. Its probably pretty feasible to do luray to front royal. plus the river runs south to north like the nile.

Up in Connecticut you could ride the mighty Housatonic from bulls bridge up to Lime Rock. I can't remember which way it flows.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post

Up in Connecticut you could ride the mighty Housatonic from bulls bridge up to Lime Rock. I can't remember which way it flows.
    I think floating this section would favor southbounders
    -milkman

got soul?

You could paddle the James to the Chesapeake Bay, then proceed up the Bay to the Susquehanna River where you paddle upstream north to Duncannon.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Shenandoah River is the main one, bypassing part of SNP.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    You could paddle the James to the Chesapeake Bay, then proceed up the Bay to the Susquehanna River where you paddle upstream north to Duncannon.

....or, you could go one down the James to Virginia Beach and swing left up the coast to New York and paddle the Hudson up to Bear Mountain Bridge.

....or, just continue up the coast to Maine and go left at the mouth of the Penobscot, go through those little lakes after millinocket, and jump off at the Abol Bridge and hike on in to Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    ....or, you could go one down the James to Virginia Beach and swing left up the coast to New York and paddle the Hudson up to Bear Mountain Bridge.

....or, just continue up the coast to Maine and go left at the mouth of the Penobscot, go through those little lakes after millinocket, and jump off at the Abol Bridge and hike on in to Katahdin.
    The possibilities are endless. I just remembered the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal: canoe down the Susquehanna from Duncannon and cross the Bay (you're not in the Bay too long) to the C&D Canal, paddle up the Delaware past Philadelphia to the Delaware Water Gap.

I will be aqua blazing SNP this year.

flagstaff lake in maine but u would miss hiking over the bigelows

Two questions concerning aqua-blazing past SNP:

1. How much (on average) does it cost?

2. How long (on average) does it take?

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Two questions concerning aqua-blazing past SNP:

1. How much (on average) does it cost?

2. How long (on average) does it take?
    Assuming you go from Waynesboro to Harper's Ferry.

Images

It's not an aquablaze, really, but you can raft or kayak several rivers in North Carolina when you are at Nantahala Outdoor Center. Depends on the time of year, and your skill level, of course.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Re: the Shenandoah Aqua Blaze using the north-flowing Shenandoah River.

There are a number of put-in and take-out points starting at about Port Republic all the way north to Harpers Ferry and several in between. There are also some river features that force longish portages--not fun on hot, humid days.

Be sure your river outfitter can legally do business across state lines (Virginia to West Virginia). Some cannot, and can only take you out at the state line.

Haha... The shenandoah river is the best place for a true aqua blaze. Just don't do what my crew and I did this year... Bought inflatable rafts, oars, and life jackets from the walmart in waynesboro! We double bagged our packs and were off! Within 5-6 hours, two of the rafts had taken in so much water through holes that their gear was soaked. Cell phones, cameras, everything. Needless to say, the two of them decided our float was over so we hitched into the closest town, another hitch to walmart, and returned EVERYTHING. Holey rafts, broken paddles, everything. We didn't even have the boxes and packaging. All they wanted was the receipt

I reccommend just saving up enough money to actually rent canoes from an outfitter. Just google Shenandoah River canoes rental and several will come up.

I have a few boats that I can sell here in waynesboro or I can take you down to the beginning of the shenandoah in port republic. I'll buy the boats back when you're done. PM me for details.

Can you provide me with details. I'm in Waynesboro at the moment and would like to discuss

What? No one mentioned the Kennebec?
    I kayaked it in '89 when my friend swam it (to provide a safety net for him.)
    I don't really know what is meant by aqua blaze but assumed you meant swim.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
    Can you provide me with details. I'm in Waynesboro at the moment and would like to discuss
    Check at Rockfish Gap Outfitters right there in Waynesboro - they can tell you what you need to know

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

My group did the aquablaze this year. You can buy a boat from Downriver Canoe in Front Royal for $300 if you're a thru hiker, and they'll buy it back from you in Harper's Ferry for $150. You could also rent a canoe from Front Royal Canoe for $300. If you put in where the Shenandoah River starts at Port Republic, right outside of Waynesboro, it's about a 150 mile trip that takes about 5-7 days. It's mostly flat water. The only problem we had was finding camping.

Images

part of this trail parallels the AT http://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++