WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Butter..

Default Butter..

Looking for some different ideas. What kind and how do you pack yours??
    Thanks, Rye

Ive seen the squeeze bottles of Parkay which seemed to do well (not really butter). I also have seen the open ended squeeze tubes that seal with a slotted dowel like thing that had leaked butter that had melted all in a pack. Butter will not hold up well in summer short of an hour or two before melting and later turning bad. In cooler weather or winter hiking you have a better chance. I have had it in small water tight tupperware in cooler temps.

I just tried my hand at making ghee; butter with water and milk solids removed. At room temperature, it's hard. It has a long shelf life, and burns at a higher temperature.

This stuff is waaay expensive if you purchase it in the store. I used 1 lb of unsalted butter, and it reduced down to 1/2 lb. You can still use the milk solids in cooking.

I think I did it right; there are recipes on the web. The taste is alright; I may like it better salted.

For me, what wins the day is the fact that I have less chance of having an oily mess in my backpack, not to mention all that heart-clogging potential!

~K2~
    K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

Images

http://www.butterbuds.com/faq/index.html

These sound pretty good.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Default Butter

I use a product called Molly McButter
    http://www.amazon.com/Molly-McButter.../dp/B0005ZXPPW

You can buy it at all grocery stores will not brake down or leak & taste good.

Mike

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    This is what I use. It's a good substitute but as you know - there is no substitute for Real Butter.

Images

olive oil.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Do butter buds have any calories?

I use olive oil in my liptons/knorrs, mac n cheese, and on my grits.

you can buy boxes at sams of the individual butter packets on restaurant tables.

Images

I believe KFC has individual packets of what's described as a "buttery spread." Actual contents are anybody's guess until CSI runs it through the lab! But hey, it tastes like butter...
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

Images

My Sister in law used to keep a stick of regular butter in a butter dish in the cabinet.
    It was always soft and spreadable and I don't recall it ever getting rancid or spoiled.
    Not sure how long any one stick of butter sat in there.

I used to bring butter, now I bring olive oil in a four (or is it three) ounce plastic bottle with a flip top lid.

When I did bring butter, I would portion out from a cube, and wrap each portion in a sandwich baggie. Each sandwich baggie would have it's top twisted and banded, and all of them would go in a quart-sized freezer bag (ziplock).

Make sure you use regular (not unsalted) butter, as it has a longer unrefrigerated shelf life.

Images

12 ounces oughta last you!

Red Feather™ Canned Butter
    Ballantyne is the world's largest producer of canned butter. Sealed airtight for maximum freshness, Ballantyne's canned butter delivers convenience in the form of extended shelf life and easy distribution without the necessity of refrigeration. It has also proven ideal for disaster preparedness, camping, boating and remote areas where refrigeration isn't available. Each can holds 12 ounces of outstanding, pure creamery butter.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Thru-hiker in planning, 2013 GalHikingTheGap's Avatar

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by mmais68569 View Post
    I use a product called Molly McButter
    http://www.amazon.com/Molly-McButter.../dp/B0005ZXPPW

You can buy it at all grocery stores will not brake down or leak & taste good.

Mike
    I loooove Molly with a passion, its a staple in my house as it was in my folks'

L

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    My Sister in law used to keep a stick of regular butter in a butter dish in the cabinet.
    It was always soft and spreadable and I don't recall it ever getting rancid or spoiled.
    Not sure how long any one stick of butter sat in there.
    there was no pressure on it. she probably used a decent bit cooking if she did that (wouldn't be able to leave it for long before going bad.. unless she kept the temps in her house really low).

I leave my butter on the counter. The temps in my house are not particularly low - 68 in the winter; 78 in the summer. Back when I was living by myself, a stick of butter would often last me a month or so. Never had it go bad.

I am careful about using a clean utensil though.

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

salted butter holds up fine in my cabinets at home at room temp - my house is about the same temps as farr away.

I've carried it hiking too, but not usually in high summer as I don't hike then anyway.

I've been bringing extra virgin coconut oil instead anyway because I can eat it straight out of the jar!
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

I bought some ghee from a store for my Hundred Mile Wilderness section hike in 2008. I repackaged it from the glass jar into a cleaned out plastic honey jar. It kept just fine, tasted more like butter than the olive oil I typically carry (important after 5 or more days unsupplied), and, generally, was a success. It still did not taste "just" like butter, though.
    For a group on a thruhike I've heard that it's not unusual for a few hikers to chip in for a pound of butter at a market, take a quarter lb. each, and consume it during the next 2-3 days. I imagine it could get quite messy in hot weather unless you had a plastic screw-top jar to store it in.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Olive oil

How well does Olive Oil keep?
    Better to dare mighty things, win glorious triumphs, than take rank with those who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Images

it says on my box of butter "keep refrigerated'.

Panzer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++