WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear Exchanges and Prep

How cold does my sleeping bag (I have a hammock so it is actually an underquilt and a topquilt) need to be and about where do I need to switch it over for a colder/warmer bag and what temp does it need to be?

I carried a 30deg the entire way. It was vastly too much most places except sometimes in the White Mountains and a few places in Maine, June and July. Late August, around August 20, I got a bivy sack, and from then until late September, around September 22, near Pearisburg, I mostly didn't even use the sleeping bag. After that it+bivy sack worked fine. Near the end, say, the month of October, it was cozy at night and just comfortable enough in the morning to keep me from really wanting to get out of it. A few places (Thomas Knob in Grayson Highlands, Blue Mountain in Georgia), I'd have preferred a little bit more, but such places were rare.

30 seems fine from about late September onward; before then, 40/50/maybe higher is a better idea most places. But of course, it's all personal preference, so feel free to ignore any suggestions I make. :-)

Images

So, you're using your bag like a PeaPod? (you in the hammock in the bag)

In general, no difference from being on the ground in terms of temp rating, but there's a chance you'll be stretching the bag thin in some areas and compressing the insulation. Less loft in spots means less ability to keep you warm in those spots. Check the other threads on the temp rating subject, and then I would take a pad to supplement.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

So, you're using your bag like a PeaPod? (you in the hammock in the bag)
    No, not really. I just used a sleeping bag as a reference so I could get an idea of how cold I need to be prepared for. I am planning on using a top quilt and a bottom quilt

Images

Default info on temps, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Keel View Post
    How cold does my sleeping bag (I have a hammock so it is actually an underquilt and a topquilt) need to be and about where do I need to switch it over for a colder/warmer bag and what temp does it need to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Keel View Post
    I just used a sleeping bag as a reference so I could get an idea of how cold I need to be prepared for. I am planning on using a top quilt and a bottom quilt
    First, I'd check both here and at HammockForums.net for temp info. Without knowing some specific info like when you're leaving, what kind of hammock you have, etc., really can't advise. However, I'd bet it would do you good to peruse around the HF site to see what info you can glean. One of the great things about the hammock UQ/TQ setup is that you have options that allow you to keep basically one setup and not have to change out in warmer weather, depending of course on how cold you need to go at first.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I have a post going on hammock forums but I need to know around what temps I will be dealing with first so I know a range of setups I can start looking at.

So what temps will I need to be prepared for on a sobo leaving first week in june?

Images

As a fellow hammocker I wish you luck with this. My thru next spring I'm leaving the hammock home and going the Shelter route. While still carrying a Cuben tarp for those night that shelters are full or I end up not wanting to stay in one.

You could go with a 20 degree TQ and then 2 different UQs for the best route.

Images

if it gets really cold just use both your OQ and UQ as an OQ and stay in a shelter. I use a Jacks R Better nest and a no sniveller quilt and have stayed warm without adding additional clothing down in the low 20's carry a pad for additional warm and you will be fine
    hillbilly

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm starting with a 25 degree pounder plus, won't switch until Oct to 15 degree.

Oops just saw you hammock. My hubby is using his 15 degree Big Agnes (he plans to hammock).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Ok so I am thinking I will start out with a 30 degree under quilt along with a 20 degree top quilt and then somewhere along the way switching to a 0 degree under quilt and keeping the 20 degree top quilt

it's all about the food... Safari's Avatar

I used a 20 degree WM Ultralite the whole way, bit of overkill, but far too lazy to 'switch over', and that point (wherever it was) is a gray area anyway...better toasty than numb & cold, we had a lot of rain & drizzle last year as I headed South, got a bit Arctic-like after Damascus, have a great time whenever it is you are heading down the track...
    'Have fun & stay cool.' - Ranulph Fiennes

We're starting our SOBO in mid June. I'm using much the same gear I used on a 2008 April thru-hike of the BMT, where we had lots of weather changes. I have a WM Versalite (10 degrees). Does it make sense to start with this bag and then switch over once we get a bit further south? Also wondering if I need to take my MH Compressor Jacket or if polartec and layers are sufficient through northern states.

yea, so I would just like to revisit this if possible.

Just to clarify, I should have a 3 season setup when I leave and then switch over to a winter setup around october?

++ New Posts ++