WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2013

Default Class of 2013

Yeah, it's early, but 3 years from today, I will be on the trail.....

So, I am getting the Class of 2013 thread going (if I'm allowed to.)

Just a few things:

Trail Name: "Stick"
    Direction: NOBO
    Start Date: Unsure of exact date but, end of March / beginning of April.

So far, I have hiked the section from Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap. I had plans to hike Neels Gap to Fontana in May 2010 (solo) but back surgery in March has changed that around, however, my wife and I will be hiking from Fontana to Davenport this October (Smokies). I plan on picking up the section from Neels Gap to Fontana next spring now.

Other than this I plan on getting out AMAP (as much as possible)! I am planning to take my son (9 years old then) on an AT hike next summer.

What am I doing to prepare? The most obvious answer I think of when asked what am I doing to prepare for the hike (even though it's 3 years from now) is my gear list. However, there are other things I am doing, most importantly, preparing myself financially and physically. If not for these 2 things, the gear list would be useless....

Financially. My wife and I are going through the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program. In 3 years or less, we will have a sizable "Emergency Fund," be debt free and have XX amount of months allowance in the bank. The only bills we will have will be utilities and house (still renting at this time.) Credit cards are gone. We will not charge anything. If we cannot pay for it with cash we do not need it, period. During this time I will be setting aside my funds needed for the gear and expenses for the hike.

Physically. Well that's a no-brainer. However, with my recent back surgery, a very large goal of mine is to become more physically fit to improve the outcome of my back problems. Doing this will also prepare me for the strenuous trials faced while hiking the trail.

Now the fun part, gear list! I have been going through other peoples gear list on the internet (that's hiked the AT and other places) and through my current gear putting a list together. I have been posting that list on this forum as well as others getting feed back and reconsidering nearly all of it. While it is not totally finished it is adequate in my opinion. Short version, my base weight during "warm" months is around 15-17 lbs base weight (not counting clothes worn, and depending on my choices between bounce boxes. And around 17-20 for "cold" months, again depending. (This does not include gear/clothes worn or food and water.) With the list I have now I am figuring around 30 lbs for warm months and around 35 for cold months.

So, before I post my gear list, who else is looking at 2013 as the year to get out?!

And there is a good chance the list may not work out to well when I copy and paste so here is a link to a download that may work. I am going to work on another one that is easier to access, but for now:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6h8...YzgwODBj&hl=en

So, this is it so far. I have much more to get done, but at least I have gotten started!
    Who else is planning for their thru in 2013 and what are you doing now to get ready for it?

Hey stick, I'm planning on a 2013 through hike attempt also. I don't really plan on doing much preparing or serious planning until summer 2012 however I'll deffinately continue to moniter this thread. I'm fairly innexperienced at ultra-endurance hiking, but if you have any questions or ideas you want to bounce of me I'll help the best I can.

2013 is my year, too! Can't wait. I will be leaving near the end of March/beginning of April as well, depending on how my team does in March Madness. We've been to the Final 4 the last 2 yrs and are planning to win the NCAA championship in 2011 and continue to plan for deep runs in the tourney for years to come!

I've hiked Amicalola to Woody Gap; Route 19 in to Damascus; Salisbury, CT to Great Barrington, MA. I hoped to do some backpacking on the AT this year but for a number of reasons, it's not going to work out. I'm looking to do several sections in both 2011 and 2012.
    Trillium

Hi there!

I am also planning to hike in 2013. I plan on leaving late February early march, as of now. I have to be done by mid august for graduate school. I think this will be a slow two years lol. I don't want to leave so early brrr, but I'm worried that if I don't I won't have enough time!

I'm planning for my second thruhike in 2013. My first thruhike was GAME from Mar 9 - Jul 16 in 2005. I'm going to start a few weeks later and finish about same time. I don't plan on taking another 8 zero days but will do more nero days.

While 2013 is still 2 year outs, my hike isn't planned for three years AFTER you guys finish the trail. I'm obligated to a job with no more than 30 days off each year.. so, you can figure my heartbreak when i realized that I won't be bale to do it until 2015. Job ends in 2014 but not until August.. a terrible time to go NOBO.
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, it's to create something that will." - Chuck Palahnuik | Mid. March, 2015. | Leave No Trace | http://www.lnt.org

Hello together my name is "Gimli" in 2013 i will be 23

I will also start in 2013 and my plan is to start in February and hope to finish in late july.

To be in good shape i did some trails in Germany,Sweden and Norway

Cant wait starting the AT.

Default class of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post

So, I am getting the Class of 2013 thread going (if I'm allowed to.)

Just a few things:

Trail Name: "Stick"
    Direction: NOBO
    Start Date: Unsure of exact date but, end of March / beginning of April.

So far, I have hiked the section from Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap. I had plans to hike Neels Gap to Fontana in May 2010 (solo) but back surgery in March has changed that around, however, my wife and I will be hiking from Fontana to Davenport this October (Smokies). I plan on picking up the section from Neels Gap to Fontana next spring now.

Other than this I plan on getting out AMAP (as much as possible)! I am planning to take my son (9 years old then) on an AT hike next summer.

What am I doing to prepare? The most obvious answer I think of when asked what am I doing to prepare for the hike (even though it's 3 years from now) is my gear list. However, there are other things I am doing, most importantly, preparing myself financially and physically. If not for these 2 things, the gear list would be useless....

Financially. My wife and I are going through the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program. In 3 years or less, we will have a sizable "Emergency Fund," be debt free and have XX amount of months allowance in the bank. The only bills we will have will be utilities and house (still renting at this time.) Credit cards are gone. We will not charge anything. If we cannot pay for it with cash we do not need it, period. During this time I will be setting aside my funds needed for the gear and expenses for the hike.

Physically. Well that's a no-brainer. However, with my recent back surgery, a very large goal of mine is to become more physically fit to improve the outcome of my back problems. Doing this will also prepare me for the strenuous trials faced while hiking the trail.
    We are planning a 2013 Thru
    Trail Name:My Husband (Shakespeare) and Myself (Pickles)

Age @ hike:31 and 28

Direction:Flip Flop NOBO then SOBO (Waynesboro, VA)

Start Date:April 30-May 1

Newbie hikers but plan to hike AMAP in the time between.

Our *** are you doing this answer is:
    1. Last big adventure before babies!!!
    2. We want to see our country in an intimate way
    3. We want to see all of the 50 states together, and we haven't seen the north east yet

Our hope is to make it to K. Mountain. The rest of the flop is gravy.

This fantasy started one day on a leisurely day hike. We were talking about the best time to start our family. Then I thought, "We need one more big adventure before we have kids. (Married for 5 years together for 10) Let's hike the AT!"... my obsession began.

We too need to get financially prepared for this massive undertaking. We hope to have 85% (other 15% grad debt) of our debt eliminated by mid next year. (Because of the economy, we had to move back in with parents so now we can squirrel away money.) By the time the hike rolls around we hope to have a good kitty for the actual hike and then some money in savings for when we come back to real life and start a family.

We don't have much in the way of gear yet. We have our neo-airs and sleeping bags. We plan to get a double rainbow tarp tent. Everything else is a huge ????

I would love to hear about others planning a flip flop (especially clothing),

Cheers

Pickles

I am also planning a 2013. The whole thing came about through a series of "incidents/coincidence" and have developed into a commitment. Some time ago a friend posted a link on facebook about a friend of her's that hiked the AT, this was the first I had ever heard of the trail and it stirred my interested but that was as far as it went. Some time later I was stuck in an airport and Bill Bryson's book A Walk in the Woods was on sale, I grab it as it was cheap and I needed something to read. I loved it (well the first half mainly). Then upon returning to USA after reading the book I happened to watch the Natgeo program about the AT and really started to think things over. I have a friend in the UK that is waiting for brain surgery and I was telling her about my idea to thru-hike....turns out she read Bill Bryson's book also and has a wish list including the AT. So basically here we are....committed to hike in 2013.

I have been reading books, following the forum and posts and watching DVD's and I am leaning more towards a SOBO thru-hike.

Trail Name: "Good Heart"
    Direction: SOBO but maybe NOBO
    Start Date: Unsure but if SOBO around June/July, if NOBO late-March

I am new to hiking and have just started to buy gear and make tentative selection.

Why do I want to do this?:

I have worked constantly from the day I left school and never had a break of more than 2 weeks, retired from the military and started a job the day after I left Army life. I think its time I took some time away from working before I get/feel to old to complete the AT.

I figured it may be a way to loose the extra 30lbs I am carrying.

I would like to help my friend achieve her wish while she can.

I am going to walk the trail to raise funds for a charity (I have selected the charity)

because despite 22 years military service I have come away in good health and without injury...there are people that want to walk the trail but physically cannot, I am able, capable and ready to use what I have been blessed with and do something with my life that allows me to feel I have achieved something. I want to challenge myself.

@stick, I did the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program and it work for me, follow the plan and it does work.

Brenda and I are looking forward to doing this in April 2013. I read its two years away but we are counting down and are wanting to say its more like a year and a half. Anyway, we have all our gear and have done some section hiking to test it out. We have couple more week long trips to get it better. We are almost right with the gear. Pending injury or emotional letdown we hope to complete the trail in 2013.

I am planning on starting in late Feb or early Mar 2013. I will plan to delay/pause should the weather dictate.

No gear lists from me. I will just throw my regular stuff in my pack, with 3+ days of food, and adjust as needed.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I am playing head games to see if I can swing a 2013 start. I am emotionally ready but not physically or financially ready. I am sincerely not even believing that I am writing this its like saying something out loud for the first time. This means I will have to quit a government job, but I looked at this somewhat rationally or irrationally that I have 10 years to retirement and that seems more like death than living. I have done some serious research and found that will give me 15 years if I stay until retirement and I will make equally in social security each year vs pension no more no less. Now if social security hangs in there for the next 20 to 30 years I'm good. My son will have graduated law school and not need my help with anything financially. I would cash in a small 401k that would totally finance the hike and let me enjoy the hike on a budget but not a strict budget and then will need to try to find employment at the ripe old age of 58 when I was done. I really have no interest anymore in corporate America. OK I am convincing myself, I guess I am just talking out loud. So let it be said.

WOW I might be able to swing this I am feeling a little scared and a little liberated right now.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

SOBO leapfrog late april primarily to avoid the cattle boat (oops thats diving) the cattle drive. Hate to miss the peak season celebrations but its not that fun NOBO anymore. Will eventually meet great people which is one of the big reasons for going, but I'm just to old for a NOBO (57 lol) I don't fit in anymore. Just kidding. Hope to meet some of you out there. Trail name is milkman. Honestly, hope to meet you.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

class 2012 rules, 2013 drools!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Quote Originally Posted by Serial 07 View Post
    class 2012 rules, 2013 drools!
    There's no trash talking in backpacking.

I'm in for a northbound start in March of 2013.

Not sure of the exact date, but I'm going to shoot for Monday, March 18th. Haven't decided what I'm going to do about the approach trail, but I'm leaning towards a good ass-kickng to start out the trip. After reading all I could get my hands on from those who have gone before, especially that awesome "What would you do differently?" thread, I've got a general idea of how it's going to go. I'm budgeting a full seven months and a decent bankroll so that I can take my time, enjoy some cool zero days at good campsites/views/waterfalls, and not feel like I have to put in a bunch of 20 mile days if I don't want to. I'm going to swim whenever I get a chance, take tons of pictures, and keep a very detailed journal. It's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me, so I'm going to suck the marrow out of the entire experience.

Can't wait to go.

I look forward to running into the rest of you goofy bastards out on the trail!
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    I'm going to suck the marrow out of the entire experience.
    There is a trail name in there somewhere............

Too late--already got one.

Besides, would you sign a register as 'Marrow Sucker'?
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Now Double Wide your post had a lot of info in it how do you know thats what ChinMusic had in mind? There was some reference to a goofy something or other in there. lol
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I'm going to semi-retire that year (not sure exactly what that means).

The wife and I will drive to Florida in early Feb and buy an RV. After learning how to drive the thing we will head north pulling our Honda CRV. I'll start my thru while she explores the county as I move north. Prob move the RV once every 7-14 days (as needed). I'll be backpacking like most everyone else with the perk of being able to sleep in my own bed once in awhile. It might be a hassle having to move the RV (not sure she will be willing to drive it) but I'll prob get pizza delivered to several road crossings...........
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 08-23-2011 at 23:53.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++