WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Less is More

Images

Default Less is More

I've been laying in my bed for about an hour now, unable to sleep, and got to thinking. Hiking (for most of us) is an activity where we go out into the wild with the bare essentials we need for survival on our backs. In other words, it is highly concerned with minimalism.

Looking around my bedroom, I'm reminded of how much hiking has affected my life by transforming it into a minimalist, low-impact lifestyle. Why have something if it's not needed? Why drive when you can get there in the same amount of time with a bike or quicker because you can weave through traffic? After only two years of hardcore hiking, I have come to the realization that less is more, and everything I now own has a purpose. If something loses its purpose, it is either donated, sold, or trashed.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen the minimalist living aspect of hiking bleed into their everyday life.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

It's funny, because I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I just gave away half of my wardrobe, because I realized that I never wore those clothes. I wanted to give away more but was frustrated by the fact that I should probably keep some "semi-nice" clothes and some "casual" clothes and some "work" clothes, even though 95% of the time I wear a t-shirt and jeans because that is what society expects. (I am a girl, so that adds to the expectations). The whole time I was thinking about the fact that this time next year, I will be wearing one shirt everyday. It's thrilling. I would like to find a way to minimize my clothing options even more.

I also recently learned about the 100 Thing Challenge and have been attempting my own version. It doesn't sound that hard, but it is. I find that there are so many things that I keep just because I feel a sense of obligation, even though really I feel much better when my "stuff" is minimized. I just find it interesting that I too discovered this at a time when my mind is always on backpacking.

After the trail, I can see myself in a bare apartment just sleeping on the floor with my sleeping bag and pad. And it excites me. I'm tired of "stuff"!!

Amen fellas.

I just got back from India, and to see how minimalistic people live is also very eye opening. The people I stayed with shower out of buckets, listen to their record player, and read/converse for entertainment.

I mean hell, sad truth is that some people in India have been living in tarp shelters their whole life. Saw it quite frequently with my own two eyes.

A tarp, a lota, and some rags. That's it.
    "Do you believe in an afterlife?" the gunslinger asked him as Brown dropped three ears of hot corn onto his plate.

Brown nodded. "I think this is it."

Garlic
    Images

I like that 100 Thing Challenge. My wife's first thought was, "Does that mean we have to buy more stuff?"

A great saying I heard this year: "The less you carry, the more you'll find."

When my wife and I went on our first long hike, we "purged" most of our stuff and were pretty proud of ourselves when we fit everything into an 8' by 8' storage shed. When we came home, we couldn't believe all useless crap we kept. So we purged again and have kept on doing it.

Hiking was definitely the catalyst for a minimalist lifestyle, and it's a good way to live.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    . . . Hiking was definitely the catalyst for a minimalist lifestyle, and it's a good way to live.
    Doesn't work that way for everyone, but I've gotten rid of a bunch of crap. The hard part for me is gear. See a spiffy new backpack, want spiffy new backpack. Then I remember I've got one I'm trying to get rid of.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

Backpacking has definitely lead to a minimalist lifestyle for me. Unfortunately/fortunately I live with my fiancé who is my no means minimalist so that has been difficult.
    is a great web site and has links to other minimalist lifestyle web sites as well.

Images

I've also been thinking about attempting the 100 Things Challenge this summer. My roommate will be gone, so I won't be ridiculed for it (he is by no means a minimalist, and thoroughly believes that money can buy happiness).

Even as a guy, I find wardrobe something very hard to minimalize. Even though I don't wear some T-shirts anymore, I'd feel guilty letting them go because they are so sentimental (concerts, etc.).

I've also found that this type of thinking goes both ways. The more I try to be a minimalist in everyday life, the more I feel comfortable removing from my pack.

It's just a great feeling, being free of stuff. Why save up for a Beamer that gives happiness until it breaks down when you can save up for an adventure where memories will last forever?
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    It's just a great feeling, being free of stuff. Why save up for a Beamer that gives happiness until it breaks down when you can save up for an adventure where memories will last forever?
    Yeah, I know a guy who says he's thrilled with his "minimalist lifestyle". Says he doesn't have to work much to support himself. He gets all defensive when someone (me) points out his fear of work led to his meager existence in the first place. So, when he asks for a ride (his truck doesn't run no mo), I say NO. It would be wrong of me to mess with his happiness.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Amen fellas.

I just got back from India, and to see how minimalistic people live is also very eye opening. The people I stayed with shower out of buckets, listen to their record player, and read/converse for entertainment.

I mean hell, sad truth is that some people in India have been living in tarp shelters their whole life. Saw it quite frequently with my own two eyes.

A tarp, a lota, and some rags. That's it.
    I confront this professionally as an architect. I constantly think about what i believe is the quinessential living space and how few possessions I might need.

My wife isnt thrilled when I voice these kinds of ideas.

Great pic, btw. "In vino veritas"
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Journal Entries

I truly admire anyone who can live the minimalist life style in this day and age of gizmos. I am too much of a pack rat and gear head to do so (not to mention my crippling bag addiction)

When I first got my place, it was wonderfully sparse....then people bought/dumped off crap I didn't want/they no longer wanted. I was doing well, too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MelNino View Post
    I truly admire anyone who can live the minimalist life style in this day and age of gizmos. I am too much of a pack rat and gear head to do so (not to mention my crippling bag addiction)

When I first got my place, it was wonderfully sparse....then people bought/dumped off crap I didn't want/they no longer wanted. I was doing well, too.
    It is VERY hard to live the minimalist lifestyle in today's era of American consumerism. I would say that gadgets have the potential to help somewhat. When the Kindle first came out, I ridiculed it, but now I look at all the books I have (by far one of the toughest things for me to cut down on) and think that it sure would be nice to have them in a little white box. If it were similar to the iPod in that you can upload music you already have, it would definitely be my next purchase. It's just kind of pointless to buy it, and then buy all the books you already have over again.

-Bob Dylan

I've lived on sailboats most of my life. It leads to a minimalist lifestyle. And although I've worked on the cutting edge of computer technology, I've been a luddite when it comes to ipods, phones, nano's, etc. I've driven a hybrid car for 10 years now, you can turn on all the lights on my boat and it will equal the power of one 100 watt bulb. I buy clothes at the good will, and you can fit my wardrobe into a duffel bag. Not to say I don't enjoy a five star dinner or hotel now and again, but I'm comfortable being homeless, jobless, and living in a tent. You should have heard the conversation I had with the car insurance company today ...... "yes, I'm going to do some traveling on the east coast, and I'm going to park my car at my Mom's house for six months. My employment? well, I'm self empoyed, where will I live? In a tent, but it's a really nice one. Do I have an address? well no .......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I've lived on sailboats most of my life. It leads to a minimalist lifestyle. And although I've worked on the cutting edge of computer technology, I've been a luddite when it comes to ipods, phones, nano's, etc. I've driven a hybrid car for 10 years now, you can turn on all the lights on my boat and it will equal the power of one 100 watt bulb. I buy clothes at the good will, and you can fit my wardrobe into a duffel bag. Not to say I don't enjoy a five star dinner or hotel now and again, but I'm comfortable being homeless, jobless, and living in a tent. You should have heard the conversation I had with the car insurance company today ...... "yes, I'm going to do some traveling on the east coast, and I'm going to park my car at my Mom's house for six months. My employment? well, I'm self empoyed, where will I live? In a tent, but it's a really nice one. Do I have an address? well no .......
    I still haven't reached that level of comfort yet, but that's awesome and I applaud you for it.

-Bob Dylan

I'm going to start by getting rid of 100 things. I'm on board, but I have to start small. Then I'll go forward from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    I still haven't reached that level of comfort yet, but that's awesome and I applaud you for it.

Thanks bro ... but no lauding necessary. Just bring it forward. But, hey, what else would you expect from a tree huggin, hybrid driving, UC Philosophy grad living in Berkeley?

So, what was the song from Stevie Windwood ...... "Don't take more than you give ...." And I've found, even as I approach fifty, that if you try sometimes, you get what you need .

Feel the love, and thanks again for the thread.

Pete

I wish I had become a minimalist, but sadly, no. I'm almost like one of those packrat people. I have all kinds of crap because I find it hard to throw anything away. I keep imagining some future anthropologist digging through the landfill and finding all my crap and writing a paper about my life. I have a lot of interests and lots of items to support those interests. I keep hoping that one day I'll clean it all up finally but sadly I take one look at it all and go back to surfing WhiteBlaze.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wish I had become a minimalist, but sadly, no. I'm almost like one of those packrat people. I have all kinds of crap because I find it hard to throw anything away. I keep imagining some future anthropologist digging through the landfill and finding all my crap and writing a paper about my life. I have a lot of interests and lots of items to support those interests. I keep hoping that one day I'll clean it all up finally but sadly I take one look at it all and go back to surfing WhiteBlaze.
    Wake up, brew some fresh coffee, open the windows to let the sun in, put on some good tunes, and tackle it one room at a time. If you haven't used an item in a year, then when are you?

-Bob Dylan

I think I am a reverse minimalist, just because I had a fire a few years ago. So after waking up the next day with only the clothes on my back, I have had to go from there. I finally have an apartment that is in a liveable frame (futon, stuff to cook with, linens and towels, and a stack of books) but that's pretty much it, it's just a 2 room place in an old Victorian. Truthfully I fantasize about the day that I have a couch again. And the 100 item challenge? No way could I do it. I think I already have 200 books again. That being said, next hike or move will be super easy to pack for.

Good thread. Ditto on the non-minimalist spouse situation. I shudder when I go into her closet.

Helped a friend of a friend move a while back. He was an older man and his garage was completely full on shelves with boxes of magazines from the 50's with the rest of the house similarly stuffed. It was an eye-opening experience.

Sorry for the non-minimalist use of postings.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++