WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default One tough dude, 100 miler runner

My neighbor's bro, Jeff, age 47, did his first 100-mile trail ultra on April 2 -- the Umstead near Raleigh, NC. He'd done several 40- and 50-mile trail ultras but this was the first 100 miler. Came in 50th out of 133 finishers (about 250 started), with a great time of 22:21.

Winning male ran the 100 miles in a freaking unreal 13:23 (that's an 8:02 pace), winning female an equally freaking unreal 15:58.

Neighbor said her brother felt fine at the end of the race. Went to his hotel room to sleep. Sometime during the night, he woke up to take a pee, stood up, and passed out. He fell face forward and broke his nose, broke the palete in the roof of the mouth, and broke a vertabrae in his neck. Now he's in a neck brace for 4-6 weeks and can only eat liquids or soft foods. But word has it he said it was worth it! Ha!

Jeff (before the fall):
    Last edited by John B; 04-13-2010 at 09:23. Reason: Searching for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    My neighbor's bro, Jeff, age 47, did his first 100-mile trail ultra on April 2 -- the Umstead near Raleigh, NC. He'd done several 40- and 50-mile trail ultras but this was the first 100 miler. Came in 50th out of 133 finishers (about 250 started), with a great time of 22:21.

Winning male ran the 100 miles in a freaking unreal 13:23 (that's an 8:02 pace), winning female an equally freaking unreal 15:58.

Neighbor said her brother felt fine at the end of the race. Went to his hotel room to sleep. Sometime during the night, he woke up to take a pee, stood up, and passed out. He fell face forward and broke his nose, broke the palete in the roof of the mouth, and broke a vertabrae in his neck. Now he's in a neck brace for 4-6 weeks and can only eat liquids or soft foods. But word has it he said it was worth it! Ha!

Jeff (before the fall):
    That happens to me after a really hard workout, but never fell (I just get light-headed, but never pass-out)

However, I'm sure I'd fall after that -- an amazing feat, he is one tough dude.

Images

Congrats, to Jeff. Thats tough about the fall.
    Look's like he did the Mitchell Challenge this year or last, too.
    I had a few friends there, but didn't feel I was ready for the Challenge this year.

Hey John,

Your pic of him is from the Black Mountain marathon...Raleigh got some snow but not that much, or is that high up.

I did this last year. Kicked my azz, but I'm training to do it next year.

http://www.active.com/running/black-...-marathon-2010

That's the only pic of him that I had. Yeah, he did the Mitchell challenge, too. I'll try to post some of the Umstead AND of "after the fall."

He is in waaay better shape than I was. I couldn't manage a smile at that point. And believe me, I'm going nowhere near the Umstead endurance run. Them folks nuts.

Default "After the fall"

Here he is at the finish looking happy and in good shape.

The next pic is after passing out and breaking nose, roof of mouth, and a vertebrae. Ain't a pretty site at all. Poor bastard, but I seriously admire anyone who can run that kind of ultra.

I quit. This is proof that exercise is bad for you...hehe

++ New Posts ++