WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: gregory g pack

Default gregory g pack

hi,
    just shot me a used g pack on ebay. so far so good.

i have one problem with it. i am righthanded and when i put the pack on and lift it i grab the right shoulderstrap with the right hand. unless i lengthen the strap almost all the way i can not get my elbos through and swing the pack on my shoulder. i get stuck where the tensioning strap is sewn to top of the "wraptor"-pad-thingy.

does anyone have the same poblem and maybe found a solution? once the pack is on i like the way it pulls the pack to my back. so i donīt really want to modify the strap and fix it the conventional way.

i keep forgetting to loosen the strap, and i donīt like the way the pack hangs on me like a sack if the straps are too long. i hate to wriggle it up until it is ver my hips high enough to tighten the hipbelt.

once the pack is on i love to carry it.

greets
    lucky luke
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Images

The G pack is a nice pack. My wife had one of the first versions, which didn't have the Wraptor harness.

It sounds like you need to adjust how you put on your pack. I always loosen my shoulder harness and hip belt when I remove my pack. Then, when putting it on, I swing it over my shoulder, put the other arm through, then bend over at the waist and sort of shake the pack into the proper position on my back. Then I tighten my hip belt -- note that my shoulder straps are still loose. Then I stand up straight and pull the shoulder suspension until it's correct. This is easier than trying to pull the shoulder straps tight while the pack just hangs like a dead monkey on my back.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    ....It sounds like you need to adjust how you put on your pack. I always loosen my shoulder harness and hip belt when I remove my pack. Then, when putting it on, I swing it over my shoulder, put the other arm through, then bend over at the waist and sort of shake the pack into the proper position on my back. Then I tighten my hip belt -- note that my shoulder straps are still loose. Then I stand up straight and pull the shoulder suspension until it's correct. This is easier than trying to pull the shoulder straps tight while the pack just hangs like a dead monkey on my back.
    kinda hard to break a 40 year old habbit...

those loose shoulderstraps might work, though only because the load in this pack wonīt be heavy. it just does not work with heavier loads for me. and i have 4 bigger packs that work the old way...

iīll find out this summer if i can adjust or the pack has to adjust for my needs. atr least i am not the only one with this kind of problem.
    thanks
    lucky luke
    happy trails
    lucky luke

I've done it like big cranky for over 30 years, but that's because it works for me. I've also seen folks do it sitting down or leaning against a tree or rock.

I can do it with some seriously heavy loads, at least backpacking wise. With 40 plus pounds all straps are loose, but not too loose. Just easy enough so that its easy for me to get my arms through. Then I just shrug my shoulders and lean over a little (just a little) and tighten the belt, then the shoulder straps and I'm good to go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Incahiker View Post
    Then I just shrug my shoulders and lean over a little (just a little) and tighten the belt, then the shoulder straps and I'm good to go.
    This is exactly it, though I may lean a little more than you.

kinda hard to break a 40 year old habit...
    Yup, I know. Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++