WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Oregon model GPS map for foothills trail?

Could someone please help me to what map to download or buy for the foothills trail or southern Appalachian mtns .

From what i've researched the 3d national geographic maps are not compatible with the oregon series garmin units or maybe i'm wrong . i couldn't find the right maps on the garmin website that are useful for this trail or the southern appalachian mountains.

Does anyone have this model and has had success with it? I'm only using it as a way to track waypoints. Thanks in advance.

Images

www.gpsfiledepot.com

I have an Oregon 550.

Default Need Topos

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    www.gpsfiledepot.com

I have an Oregon 550.
    so.. i tried the links on this site for southern section and downloaded 2 of the ones w/trails and topo , but i could not get either program to run....? did it all twice and i'm just a dumba$$ i guess. is there any other topos out there?? for this paper weight of a garmin oregon, i got it for my birthday and it cost $$ and i cant believe theres not more detailed maps for it on the at Southern Appalachians!!..

Images

You do have to have Mapsource installed first. After that you add the maps to your computer, and then you use Mapsource to access the new maps and transfer them to your gps.

http://http://www.garmin.com/garmin/...aps#fragment-2

with this we can scan your existing map load it onto map source and then layer it with Google earth in essence the best paper map you can find on the Garmin screen, i am working on it i will let you know how it goes... oh' its free as well just a little time consuming but it gives me something to do until my hike in 2 weeks !! i hope it works ,if so Garmin isn't so bad after all...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    You do have to have Mapsource installed first. After that you add the maps to your computer, and then you use Mapsource to access the new maps and transfer them to your gps.
    I ran into the same problem as the latest Mapsource wont open the maps.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dreed View Post

After following the directions this at first did not work, getting the Google map to work was easy one you drag and drop the blue lines at the edges of the picture.

Then you have to create a place while the GPS is connected to the computer. Opne my computer click on Garmin open the Garmin folder and add "CustomMaps" folder - notice the capitals and the lack of spaces. then save the kmz file inside the folder.

Then click on the Setup, Select Map, select the new folder and go back and turn on the Map -

This information appears to be missing from the Garmin Website.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    After following the directions this at first did not work, getting the Google map to work was easy one you drag and drop the blue lines at the edges of the picture.

Then you have to create a place while the GPS is connected to the computer. Opne my computer click on Garmin open the Garmin folder and add "CustomMaps" folder - notice the capitals and the lack of spaces. then save the kmz file inside the folder.

Then click on the Setup, Select Map, select the new folder and go back and turn on the Map -

This information appears to be missing from the Garmin Website.
    Nice!! i had given up on it ... are you able to scan a map and apply it this way too?

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes just watch the size of the data, you might have to edit the size down with a photo editor.

But I got it to work!!!!!!

Woo

Default Foothills Trail

You can download gps info for the Foothills Trail here:

http://www.travelbygps.com/premium/f.../foothills.php

Dan

The FTC puts out a good map. You can buy it and the guide book at the Southern terminus, (Oconee State Park) or order thru the FTC.
    The "spur" trails add up to a bit more than the 76 mile main trail. Worth doing too.
    If you have time get a guide on waterfalls in SC. There are some impressive ones. Starting at Jones Gap Park you can hit a lot of them and it's really an extention to to FT.
    If you hike it the FTC always likes feedback on trail conditions.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    The FTC puts out a good map. You can buy it and the guide book at the Southern terminus, (Oconee State Park) or order thru the FTC.
    The "spur" trails add up to a bit more than the 76 mile main trail. Worth doing too.
    If you have time get a guide on waterfalls in SC. There are some impressive ones. Starting at Jones Gap Park you can hit a lot of them and it's really an extention to to FT.
    If you hike it the FTC always likes feedback on trail conditions.
    The FT is a real gem. I hiked it west to east last year and would love to hike it again, this time east to west.

++ New Posts ++