WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

TICKS, I hate ticks!

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    What your saying is, people can act like savages and you have to deal with it no matter what, instead of them being personally responsible for their own behavior and having consideration for their fellow man.....
    People will act like savages, and yes, unfortunately you will have to deal with it, how you do is your choice... You can choose to get angry, frustrated, or mad... You may choose to offer some carefully sellected words to the offensive characters to attempt some mutual respect.. You can choose to speed up or slow down to remove yourself from them... You can choose to accept or tolerate their behavior... You can choose to go home... There's always several choices in any situation..

So in life and on the trail, when you find yourself in a situation that is beyond your level of comfort, trace back the choices that put you there and don't repeat those choices in the future...

I know my triggers for aggetation and avoid putting myself in those situations... And i'm always prepared to move on when those situations are imposed on me..

Default no angel

just majorly OCD. Also, no sense of humor. Way too damned serious way too much of the time.
    Dee
    healthymom

FAT...W...hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Is that a joke? Granted, sleeping in a shelter is a crapshoot, but snoring is no different then excessive farting, talking loud/late, music, cellphones, or anything else you know interferes with others sleeping. You gonna set your tent up right next to somebody in a giant field, and keep them up, too? I mean, it was their choice to tent there, right?
    Totally inconsiderate people bother me.
    Snoring is not the same as talking loud during late hours, music, cellphones or any excuse to be inconsiderate. How someone sleeps, meaning if they snore or not isn't something they choose to do - it just happens. They don't plan out the evening to be a pain in your butt.

A bunch of people having a party at a shelter, or public hiking spot is not acceptable, in my eyes, unless they take care to be considerate of the others. Most on the trail did/do this naturally.

I snore.It's not like I want to or that I can do anything about it.But I also prefer to tent as the bugs really like me a lot.Earplugs are a marvelous invention,cheap to.

Yahoos (people with beer and country or rock music blaring and a fire burning at all hours of the day and night. Add ATVs for the extra-strength variety. RVs are optional.)
    Mosquitoes
    Wet feet for days on end
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I didn't read through all of the previous posts so this may be redundant but ....

What bugged me the most during my 2003 thru were people who complained endlessly. We all had bad days, we all got sick and tired of being wet ALL the time ...but complaining about it never made it any better, easier or drier.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

NOTHING bugs me. That's why I hike!
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Those that studied the profile maps trying to worry everyone about what was to come the next day, or those that complained about the endless climbs, This is the AT after all!!

The very few who were leeches on society and took it to the AT. They didn't donate at church hostels and were always trying to get food or whatever from other hikers. Funny thing was that they had enough money to buy beer!
    Downunda

Quote Originally Posted by Downunda View Post
    The very few who were leeches on society and took it to the AT. They didn't donate at church hostels and were always trying to get food or whatever from other hikers. Funny thing was that they had enough money to buy beer!
    Yogis are a blight on the trail.

Stop using the shelters and most of your a-e issues won't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Downunda View Post
    Those that studied the profile maps trying to worry everyone about what was to come the next day
    Yeah, that really bugs me, too. I mean so what if there's a hill. Get over it.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

A hill on the AT? Who a thunk it. I have to admit that everyone I have meet so far on the trail have been cool.Even the the character I met a couple of days ago.Down on his luck country boy out hiking,probably never had 2 nickels to rub together,talked a mile a minute but he had a good heart.

Crazy as hell in a harmless way.You will know him when you meet him,he's heading south in VA by now.

Images

The heat, the cold, uphills, downhills, rocks, mud, roots, road walks, dogs, mice, bears, spiders, snakes, people, solitude, shelters, tents, dry food, and cooking. I think that covers it.

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    The heat, the cold, uphills, downhills, rocks, mud, roots, road walks, dogs, mice, bears, spiders, snakes, people, solitude, shelters, tents, dry food, and cooking. I think that covers it.
    You're the only hiker I know of who doesn't like the aforementioned phenomena but has no (apparent) problem with ticks, black flies, or mosquitos.

people who amuse me:

those that don't bother with maps, asking to look at mine

those that walk past a water supply, don't bother to stop, then ask for some of mine

those that don't bring enough food and ask me to share some of mine

those that whine they are running out of money and wish someone would help

the amusing part comes when i simply say 'that's a shame' and move on

Images

The person who left the huge clump of cheap green nylon cord in the fire circle at site 4 at Sages Ravine Tent site. If they had just hung it on a tree it might have been usable for the next hiker. But it got all wet and mixed in with ash. It took a long time to get it all burnt away.

Also, loose dogs that are not effectively under verbal command. If you want to bring your dog on the AT, and it's safe to do so (meaning you check to make sure the rocks aren't abrading and cutting your dog's foot pads), then by all means. But please keep the dog on a leash unless it's one of those dogs that's got enough training that it will not bother anybody else and it will come when you call it. Many dogs will come when called under ideal circumstances. Far fewer will do so in the wilderness.

Finally, drunk people who won't share their Jameson's with me.

Images

snoring is snoring if you stay in shelters get use to it-buy some earplugs-nothing much bothers me except loud hikers -i avoid shelters as much as i can

My biggest issue is hikers who can't relax. Some people snore. Some people need to use their phones. Some people brag about their hike, some people don't talk at all. Some people like to party on the trail and some people want peace and quiet. If we all just stay aware of other peoples needs and respect those needs the best we can, you're trail experience will be better.
    Trail name- Jingles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++