WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What is your hiking status?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

You have to pay the troll toll!
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Im not too suprised with the results of this poll so far. I know for a fact that there a lot of folks on here that dont do much hiking, but want folks to see them as some sort of 'expert'. They arent likely to admit on this poll that they are a troll or hike infrequently (or never) or are a want to be hiker.

As for me, my signature says it all. I am in the park a LOT. Many of the folks on Whiteblaze have met me out and about somewhere near the trails. I am also pretty familiar with the 'regular' hikers out on the AT and some of the other trails around the SE. Im also familiar enough with those trails to know when someone is talking through their ars about it.

The world would be a great place to live if there was a B.S. meter that we all could use to identify the folks who really know what they are talking about and those that wish they knew half as much as they proclaim to know.

yes, Im open for pot shots. Take your best shots at me posers of the world. My favorite is the guy from California that constantly harasses me with PM about my postings about the Smokies. :-P
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

Why do you need a BS meter? Let everyone talk out of whatever orifice of their choosing. It all comes full circle, anyway.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    Why do you need a BS meter? Let everyone talk out of whatever orifice of their choosing. It all comes full circle, anyway.
    Over 600 views so far and 78 responses says it all. Not really intended as a "serious" poll. I actually expected most to just check troll just a little fun.
    WalkingStick"75"

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I just finished a hike today. My status is hungry and sweaty. I have dinner going. The shower can wait.
    Mags,
    Off topic question for you, since I remember you being an ex-rhode island person. Have you ever been hiking on Block Island? Is it worth the hassle?

Anyone else for that matter?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks View Post
    Mags,
    Off topic question for you, since I remember you being an ex-rhode island person. Have you ever been hiking on Block Island? Is it worth the hassle?

Anyone else for that matter?
    I have not been to Block Island since 1997..almost the beginning of my hiking "career".

However, from what I remember, Block Island is NOT a hiking destination. It is however a wonderful place to rent a bike, explore some secluded beaches and enjoy an iconic lighthouse overlooking some equally iconic cliffs.

Take the ferry from Pt. Judith and enjoy the early morning ride in the open ocean. Rent a bike and go along the rolling hills, smelling the fresh salt air and stroll on the quiet beaches (plenty of places to stash a bike). BI is a lot less touristy than Nantucket.

Have the lunch you packed ..perhaps near Mohegan Bluffs.

Take the last Ferry ride home. Just in time to get some clam cakes, chowdah, and stuffies from the take-out window at George's of Galilee. Sit on the rocks by the calm bay and take in the cool night air.

It is perhaps the best place in Rhody ...and one I plan on sharing in June.

If you want 'hiking' in Rhode Island, there is the Cliff Walk along the ocean (and late 1800s mansions..owned by such people as the Vanderbilts and the Rockerfellers. The Great Gatsby was also filmed at Rosecliff Mansion)

If you want to do a 'long' trail in RI, check out the NST.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thanks for the good info. I will have to check it out.

Images

Default What about me

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    I have seen a lot in these threads and have come to realize that not everybody here is a hiker some might be future hikers some use to hike and some will never hike with a few choices in between..

Where are you in this hiker scale?
    I did a fair amount of backpacking between 1998 and 2003. Got away from it for awhile but continued to car camp and day hike. Now I'm getting back into the backpacking....No B.S.
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

I hike all the time. Almost every weekend. Sometimes during the week. I can go for a trail run running out my front door and aiming toward the mountains. I try to go backpacking as much as possible in the early Spring and late Fall since those are the hiking seasons where I live. I did do a nice one in January where it was surprisingly warm, though. I have never hiked the AT except I did a hike to Blood Mountain once when visiting Georgia. I've hiked the PCT in two sections. I was there last weekend dayhiking, trail running and camping, but not exactly backpacking. I was seeing my boyfriend off on his 700 mile section.

I also walk to work every day and if the weather is bad or I don't feel like going to the mountains, I do urban hikes. There is no excuse not to hike if that's what you are interested in.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    I have seen a lot in these threads and have come to realize that not everybody here is a hiker some might be future hikers some use to hike and some will never hike with a few choices in between..

Where are you in this hiker scale?
    How about adding "I use to hike frequently but now I do it occasionally?"

I've finally found out where all the Trolls on here have come from. Smoky Mountain Trolls in Cosby 800-951-2537 or trolls.com

I'm an hour from some decent hiking (Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge SP, Sheltowee Trace) and could hike more often than I do. I'm doing some volunteer work on the Sheltowee. In the last 2-3 years, bicycling has become a close second to hiking. I've done several overnight (with camping) cycling trips.

But every year since '05 when I finished the AT, I've done at least 1 or 2 backpack trips in addition to day hikes. The longest since '05 will hopefully occur in May-June when I thruhike the Allegheny Trail.

I'm about 4 hours from the AT, the farthest I've ever lived from it.

trolls.com?

The many "views" could be guest lurkers?

Nevermind, they can't vote in a poll, or, can a guest vote?

Wait. Why would a "troll" say they are a troll, except Attroll.

Is this a serious poll, or, a silly poll?

Oh, to answer the question about right now: Oregon Coast Dayhikes book.

To better experience Oregon, I am doing one REI book at a time.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

There wasn't a category for me to check ...but here's my "status"

I'm a former thru-hiker (AT 2003)

Had a heart attack in 2008 from which I am bouncing back but still have residual heart muscle damage and decreased cardiac output.

I am now past the 2 year post heart attack point and with the exception of reduced exercise tolerance I am starting to believe I can get back out there.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++