See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Default PCT Cost Spreadsheet

I've been working on a PCT cost spreadsheet and updating it as a i get ready for my trip (my flight leaves wednesday). I just wanted to post it on here on the offchance that someone else would find it useful.

Here's a few things about me and where i got my numbers from.

Food at $10 a day i think is high...but better to budget too much than not enough. Plus i really like tortellini for dinner and it's around $4 a bag, substitute ramen and the price per day drops a bit, but i wanted to go with my most expensive food day on the trail.

Healthcare and phone bills are fixed.

I've only got a flight one way because my parents are buying me a flight back as a bday present.

I'm only thinking that i'll spend around $300 on hotels and hostels. On the AT there were few days where as I walked/hitched out of town I felt really happy about having stayed for the night. A lot of it had to do with only getting rooms to hide out from the rain, and I hope that doesn't happen again.

I'm budgeting $300 for food spent while i'm in town eating or cooking. I plan to stay at mostly just hostels when I do and I really like to cook there when I get the chance. I think this saves a ton on money in town and you get so much more food. A box of pancake mix, eggs, and bacon can cost you about the same it would to go out and eat the same breakfast at a restraunt, but cooking youself you get soooo much more food and usually some to share.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Good luck Chance. You gonna be at the KO?
    If you never try you've already failed ~ Me?? Somebody else??

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Ya I will, should be there Thursday evening, maybe Friday.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Nice work ! We will be behind you, starting mid-may hopefully we will meet up on the trail this time ! Didnt had the chance to meet you on the AT last year started may 1st finished september 19th. Any other 2009 AT alumni on the trail this year ?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Some FYI's: there are very few hostels on the PCT. Aside from the trail angels, the only trail towns that I can recall with hostels are Big Bear City, Lone Pine, and Ashland. In most towns your only option for a place to sleep indoors is going to be a hotel/motel.

Also, if you can manage to keep your restaurant spending to $300 for the whole trip, then you have a lot more self-control than I do. I probably spent $300 on town food in Washington alone (and it was worth every penny).

Resupplying on the trail is expensive. I averaged $10 a day overall, but it was even higher in some towns.

And don't forget to budget for donations to trail angels. Yogi recommends $20 a night at a minimum. If they feed you, I think $30 a night is fair.

++ New Posts ++