WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Getting back from northern terminus?

I'm planning an end to end on the LT this September after college graduation. I haven't gotten my map or guide book yet so forgive me if this info is in there. How can one get back to Williamstown, MA from the Canadian border?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Bump, any long trail vets have some recommendations?
    -milkman

got soul?

My wife picked me up.
    I don't have any knowledge of public transportation in that area.
    That's why I'm doing a SOBO thru this Sept. It'll be easier to get a ride home from Mass. than northern Vt.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default a bit off topic

Hi Tinker, I did a SOBO last September from the boarder to Rutland. I left a bit too eairly for the foliage by about 2 weeks. I should have started around the second or third week. You sure get in shape in the northern parts. All the best. Mark S.

If you have the option, I'd go north to south. It's quite a hassle getting in/out from the northern terminus. My wife dropped me off last year at the border and getting off at Rutland was no problem. You will travel with the chqanging foilage, and the last 100 miles wil be a breeze. The shelters are close enough together so the first difficult week getting up to speed and into shape don't have to be long days if you don't want to. Have a nice walk. And check out this link. Mark S.
    http://www.downthetrail.com/the-long-trail/

Default transportation from north troy

I did an end to end this past fall with no plan on how I was going to return home. Once I got to north troy I went to the B&B to spend the night and the lady there called a guy who gave me a very entertaining ride to Burlington for 30$.

Dgever has a good idea. I would do something like that, and once you get to Burlington you can take bus to wherever you need. Also, as your trip gets closer and you know the exact dates, you may be able to update the post with a time you expect to be finished your hike. I have seen other Vermonters on this forum who may be willing to meet you and give you a ride into town. For example, if I'm free around that time I may be able to do a hike up near Journeys End and meet up with you to give you a ride to Burlington.

When I did it we stayed at the 1896 house and they took us to the bus.

Clyde

Images

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I may be in contact with some of you for more info when the hike comes to an end. AMC season ends the beginning of Sept. so if anyones available for a shuttle let me know.
    -milkman

got soul?

hitch. i did the canadian border to kean, nh in two cars.

You'll notice two people have threads (offering shuttles to the Northern terminus - you might ask them if they would shuttle you from the terminus). There is at least one other paid service mentioned at longtrailhiking.info . When I was northbound, my #1 plan was to meet someone headed the same direction who had a ride. Back up option was to walk back to Rt. 105 and hitch out. Happily I met a guy I'd run into on my first LT hike and he offered to pick me up. If I go northbound again, I'll probably go with the same plan.

If you have the option go SOBO starting at the northern terminus. Get the possible hassle of your ride over with before you start your hike knowing that at the MA/VT border you'l be on easy street as far as getting a ride back to where ever you are going. That's what I have always done. I have had no problem hitching to the northern terminus once from Burlington and once from Mt. Pelier. IMO, VT is one of the easiest states to get a hitch. However, do be aware that starting out up north is, IMO, quite a bit more physically strenuous starting out than starting at the southern terminus. Be ready to hike up/down/up/down!

And, then there are always possible rides/shuttles offered by those listed in the End to Enders Guidebook. Contact the Long Trail website for additional possible rides/shuttles.

Dogwood offers a good rationale for making it a SOBO hike. It's one reason I'm likely to go SOBO this year.

Of course, the North need not be more strenuous if one goes for lower mileage in that portion.

Images

I plan on taking my time going NOBO. It just feels right to me ,YMMV. I forgot about a college buddy who lives in Johnson Vt, he said he could hook me up in Johnson as well as pick me up at Trails End. If anyone is going to be finishing around the end of September, contact me and I may be able to give you a ride. Thanks for everyones help!
    -milkman

got soul?

Default Keep walking north!

From what I can see, one of the easier ways out of the northern terminus is to simply walk north another 3 miles or so until you get to Mansonville, Quebec. From there you can catch a bus to Montreal:

http://www.destinationknowlton.com/k...-schedule.html

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    From what I can see, one of the easier ways out of the northern terminus is to simply walk north another 3 miles or so until you get to Mansonville, Quebec. From there you can catch a bus to Montreal:

http://www.destinationknowlton.com/k...-schedule.html
    If you are going to do this, you are now required to have your passport with you and I strongly advise checking in with Canadian customs ahead of time. It might even be a good idea to let US Border Patrol know what you're doing.

Neither side is messing around when it comes to people walking across the border up here. They've stepped up enforcement and have gone to a zero tolerance policy on crossing anyplace other than the stations. They took an old lady down for walking across in Derby Line to get her dog and arrested a man for crossing to get pizza in Stanstead.

BTW, I work up near the border and have been stopped and questioned regularly. Even by the same patrol officers over and over. Some I've actually hung out and gotten to know socially. They know me by name, know my truck, know what I'm doing and what I'm going to tell them.....but they stop and question anyway. Acquaintance or not, it's all business when they're on duty.

I would suggest turning around at Journey's End and hitching to St Albans or Burlington. I've never been good at getting rides, but pick up people all the time and VT's one of the easiest places to hitch.

Default Yes, you need a passport

Sure, you need a passport, but it's really no big deal. You walk from Journey's End to North Troy. Another mile north, and you hit an official border crossing with a customs agent. A quick chat, show him your passport and your on your way to Mansonville.

Now, if you have a criminal record, or if you are a known terrorist, then the Canadians might not let you in!

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    Sure, you need a passport, but it's really no big deal. You walk from Journey's End to North Troy. Another mile north, and you hit an official border crossing with a customs agent. A quick chat, show him your passport and your on your way to Mansonville.

Now, if you have a criminal record, or if you are a known terrorist, then the Canadians might not let you in!
    Thought you were advising to just keep hiking north at Journeys end when you hit the border. Going to North Troy is a better plan.

MARK!!! amazing long trail blog, great colors and no bugs in september!!??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++