WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Wapiti Shelter

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Default Wapiti Shelter

Anyone know why the pond near Wapiti Shelter was drained? I hiked by there on April 18 and it was empty. A side of the pond wall was removed. There was orange plastic fencing around the whole perimeter of the pond.

Images

orange plastic fencing is usually used in areas theyve designated for regrowth, keep out areas that have suffered from overuse and need time to heal. my guess is lots of other hikers liked this pond as well and it was drained as a way to allow the surrounding earth and plant life to rebound
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Quote Originally Posted by IronGutsTommy View Post
    orange plastic fencing is usually used in areas theyve designated for regrowth, keep out areas that have suffered from overuse and need time to heal. my guess is lots of other hikers liked this pond as well and it was drained as a way to allow the surrounding earth and plant life to rebound
    I'd say that's a bad guess. It's one thing to rope it off, but drain it also

Images

yeah I figured it wasnt more than a uneducated guess, hence the "my guess" disclaimer. I dont pretend to know what exactly goes on when restoring an area, whether they just rope it off or actually do any work there. you think that guess was bad, you dont want to look for edible berries with me
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

I was there in October and guessed it was an old manganese mine pond (similar to the ones at Partnership Shelter), and thus a source of pollution. But that was a total guess.

Here is a photo I took. Not great, but shows the hole and orange fencing.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I was there in October and guessed it was an old manganese mine pond (similar to the ones at Partnership Shelter), and thus a source of pollution. But that was a total guess.

Here is a photo I took. Not great, but shows the hole and orange fencing.

RainMan

Sounds very plausible.

Images

it might be a tumor

I thought it had to do with the 09 missing couple...which someone told me as we night hiked past it...creepy!

maybe someone could give the forest service a call to end this mystery, ha.

It might have something to do with it being an earthen dam. Seems the state of va has come down hard on some of the owners around here lately because of the failures of a few of them.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    It might have something to do with it being an earthen dam. Seems the state of va has come down hard on some of the owners around here lately because of the failures of a few of them.
    That makes sense. But honestly, I don't recall the pond being that large, that anyone downstream would be threatened.

I vote we ask the ATC! Laurie, you reading this?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++