WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default shoulder numbness

I have experienced a numbness in the area just in front of my shoulders after a few days of hiking . The area is front in line with the collar bone. Anybody else experience this? Suggestion to prevent it? My pack doesn't feel uncomfortable when hiking. I wear the hip belt as high on my waist as possible.

yes actualy i have but i have destroyd my rotators cuff or somethn..had it repaired.then i fell in maine and re broke all the surgery i had done..but durin the time of my hike it would often feel numb..then when i rehurt it i spent some time off and went back at it and it was kinda sore....idk mabe u have hurt yourself or have nerve damage idk but i have had my sholder numb after hiking

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

It's most likely the effect of prolonged pressure on your brachial plexus from the shoulder straps of your backpack. Read the following:

http://www.assh.org/PUBLIC/HANDCONDI...ialPlexus.aspx

My suggestion is that you adjust your sternum strap (if you use one) so that your shoulder straps rest on a slightly different area. While hiking, loosen and tighten the sternum strap to relocate the pressure point of the shoulder strap.

Also ...whenever you stop for a break take off your back pack and massage your shoulders and do wide slow circles with your arms to stimulate the nerves and blood circulation in the shoulder area.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Bummer! There's lots of variables here:

- Is the pack fitted properly?
    - What's your actual pack weight compared to the manufacturers recommended maximum limit?
    - How's your posture while hiking?
    - Are the straps (including load levelers and chest strap) adjusted properly ?
    - Do you tend to overuse your trekking poles?
    - Is your pack, packed properly?

The only time I get numb shoulders is when I wiggle off my pad or sleep too long in one position after a hard days hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Bummer! There's lots of variables here:

- Is the pack fitted properly?
    - What's your actual pack weight compared to the manufacturers recommended maximum limit?
    - How's your posture while hiking?
    - Are the straps (including load levelers and chest strap) adjusted properly ?
    - Do you tend to overuse your trekking poles?
    - Is your pack, packed properly?

The only time I get numb shoulders is when I wiggle off my pad or sleep too long in one position after a hard days hike.
    Good pack fit, total wt with food and water for 4 days was 29 lbs, so that's okay, posture?? upright unless a steep climb. How does one over use trekking poles? This sounds interesting. Pack is packed properly for best balance and comfort. Will check the strap adjustment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    It's most likely the effect of prolonged pressure on your brachial plexus from the shoulder straps of your backpack. Read the following:

http://www.assh.org/PUBLIC/HANDCONDI...ialPlexus.aspx

My suggestion is that you adjust your sternum strap (if you use one) so that your shoulder straps rest on a slightly different area. While hiking, loosen and tighten the sternum strap to relocate the pressure point of the shoulder strap.

Also ...whenever you stop for a break take off your back pack and massage your shoulders and do wide slow circles with your arms to stimulate the nerves and blood circulation in the shoulder area.

'Slogger
    Very Good information. I'm going to try the same advil therapy that i used for tendonitis and see if that helps as well. Maybe there is some inflamation surrounding that nerve.

Default No Excalibur Swords Allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    Good pack fit, total wt with food and water for 4 days was 29 lbs, so that's okay, posture?? upright unless a steep climb. How does one over use trekking poles? This sounds interesting. Pack is packed properly for best balance and comfort. Will check the strap adjustment.

Thanks
    Good.

As far as the poles go, overuse can occur when:

- you reach too far out with them
    or
    - plant the tips way too hard (like your slaying a dragon!)

Either will cause arm and shoulder soreness. Better to use short strides and plant gently. See if that makes a difference.

Good article on the topic here for you to enjoy.

Good luck!

++ New Posts ++