WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seam Sealing

Default Seam Sealing

Just got my new TT Moment (love it) but just wanted to hear from some of you that have seam-sealed. obviously I want to follow the suggestions that came with the tent, but I am just looking for tips, pointer, etc since I have never done it before and don't want to f it up.
    Anyone ever tried the seam sealer mix on the tub to stop your sleeping pad from sliding around like the directions suggest? Did you just spread a few lines or cover it or what?
    Thanks for any help

Garlic
    Images

I suggest trying the floor first before smearing the stuff on it. You may not have a problem sliding around. Of the four or five close friends I hike with who use a silnylon floor, only one has problems sliding around. I think it depends on how restless you are when you sleep. Why add a couple of ounces if not needed? The stuff also makes it more difficult to sweep out the tent.

Less is more when applying the goop. A thin coat is better than a thick coat. Good luck and enjoy the Moment, so to speak. It looks like a great tent.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Oh yeah, if you do need stuff on the floor, I heard dots are better than lines, for the reason of making it easier to sweep it out.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I agree with garlic.

Don't paint the floor with seam sealer. It will attract dust and dirt. If your pad slides, paint a few lines on the bottom of your pad instead. Position these lines under the pressure points of your body; shoulders, hips, etc.

Thin your sealant enough so it will flow into the needle holes. This not only enhances the waterproofing qualities of the tent, but it also reinforces the stress points in the seams. Sealant which is globbed on top of the seam may help waterproof your tent, but it won't add strength to the stress points.
    Roland

Images

Pay special attention to the point where top vent opening arches contact the main body of the tent . I put 2 coats of sealer on mine then tested it in the rain. It leaked at 2 of these points. I noticed that there were 2 needle holes at end of the each seam that was allowing water through. I put a very small amount of undiluted silcone (probably could have used a diluted mix) on the holes from the inside...worked great.

I sealed my entire floor with a very thin mixture. My prolite pad slid without it.

I am very pleased with my Moment!

Images

For silnylon, instead of buying expensive seam sealer and thinning it down, just go to an auto parts store and buy "flowable" silicon windshield sealant. Works GREAT, easy to apply, flows into all the needle holes, and is CHEAP. I paid about a dollar and a half per tube. I bought two, used one to seal two tents. That was about 4 years ago and they haven't leaked yet.

Henry would've seam sealed yours for $15 if you'd asked (I did), not that it matters now of course.

Images

use silnet, used it on my contrail and sublite, works great

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer

This stuff is the best for seam sealing. It will wick down into the threads. No diluting required.
    Papa John

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    For silnylon, instead of buying expensive seam sealer and thinning it down, just go to an auto parts store and buy "flowable" silicon windshield sealant. Works GREAT, easy to apply, flows into all the needle holes, and is CHEAP. I paid about a dollar and a half per tube. I bought two, used one to seal two tents. That was about 4 years ago and they haven't leaked yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer

This stuff is the best for seam sealing. It will wick down into the threads. No diluting required.
    I've never used this product, but it sounds like it would work great for the occasional user.

The most common mistake I've noticed from DIY seam seal jobs, is the sealant is not thinned sufficiently. This results in sealant that sits on the surface of the seam, rather than penetrating into the threads and needle holes. The product you recommend is already thinned, and is packaged with an applicator nozzle.

The only suggestion I would add is to be careful when cutting the tip of nozzle. Smaller is better.
    Roland

Hike smarter, not harder.

I thought the Permatex went on way too thick, and was too slow. I just did it Henry's way. Fast and simple.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I thought the Permatex went on way too thick, and was too slow. I just did it Henry's way. Fast and simple.
    Permatex makes lots of different products, including automotive silicone caulk (RTV). If you used RTV, I agree; it is too thick to be used as seam sealer.

The flowable product, mentioned above, is much thinner than RTV, or the GE Silicone II caulk that Henry Shires recommends.
    Roland

thanks for all thew great info. I am going to give the windshield and glass sealer a go.

I shot a video of it, just for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYjOk...eature=related
    Franco

awesome video. thanks for posting.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I was using Permatex Flowable Winshield sealer, FWIW.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Franco, thanks for the great video, I ordered a new Moment and your video sure will help me seal it. Thanks for taking the time to shoot it.

BTW, in the video you see me sealing all of the stitches. I do it because I like doing it, however you really only need to do the top ones.
    Also note that I use a paint brush. I have tried the syringe and the finger version before but ended up eventually with the brush. However the Tarptent recommended way is with a sponge brush.
    I will try that the next time.
    There is also a video on mixing the silant and one on setting up the Moment ...

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7248563/18899600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA
    Franco

Images

Default Seam Sealing

I have a TT Cloudburst-the easiest way I found was to get a syringe-fill it with the seam sealer, shoot a thin bead and then and spread with your finger along the seam.. It has lasted three years -no problem- for the floor-heavy -it wore out very quickly and I still do dome slippin' and slidin'---Good Luck!!

I used clear silicone caulk (GE II) thinned with mineral spirits, and applied it with a sponge brush.

I painted 3"-diameter dots on the floor (instead of stripes) to prevent my sleeping pad from sliding.

Worked like a charm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++