WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Rock Carvings at Long Creek Falls in Georgia

I thought I had some photos of the carvings in my gallery but don't. Has anyone ever seen the actual rock carvings? I once had a link to a story about them but have lost it in my "piling system."
    Last edited by Uncle Wayne; 04-23-2010 at 16:24. Reason: typo
    Uncle Wayne

Images

Talking

Hey... I remember you! Used to post on here years and years ago, right?! tee hee And I see that you use the same storage system that I do.

Can't help you on the carvings, though. Never heard of any such!

Hopefully, someone else has, though!

Good to "see" you again, UW.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Uncle Wayne is da man!!! Lots of things have disappeared. Our trail journals that we used to have on here went bye bye. Lots of time waisted doing that.

Don't know about the carving. Good to see you post.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Speaking of posting, when was the last time you contributed from your vast store of knowledge, HH?

Of course, everything that needs to be said has been said countless times over the past 8 years, but I like to look at the pictures.

It's all been done and said 10 times over. I've nothing more to say......
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

I am unaware of any carvings near Long Creek Falls. but found the subject of interest and performed a google search. Found a couple of interesting (to me) pages http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

http://gulahiyi.blogspot.com/2009/03...troglyphs.html

Good luck with your search
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Hello Old Friends, yeah it's been a while. I finally found some info about the carvings from a friend I shared them with several years ago.
    Another friend of mine took his wife to see the falls while in that area. A FS ranger was at the falls and in the conversation, asked them where they were from. When they told him Alabama, he said he'd share a story with them about the "Sacrifice Rock" at Long Creek Falls. While I don't recall all the details, some of the carvings depict a man (one of DeSoto's men according to the story) being thrown over the falls by the native Americans living in that area when DeSoto made his trip through North Georgia.

That's about all I know but I had several pictures posted of the carvings my friend gave to me that are now missing in action.
    Last edited by Uncle Wayne; 04-26-2010 at 01:46. Reason: typo correction
    Uncle Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wayne View Post
    While I don't recall all the details, some of the carvings depict a man (one of DeSoto's men according to the story) being thrown over the falls by the native Americans living in that area when DeSoto made his trip through North Georgia.

Hmmmmm.... what good would it do to throw anyone "over" these falls? They simply are not that high nor are they vertical. I doubt it'd harm the "victim" more than some bruises. In fact, my daughter and I summitted Katahdin with "Slips" a thru-hiker who slipped and fell over those falls, thus his trail name.

I have a photo of Grass at Long Creek Falls in my gallery, from 2003, but I bet you recollect that.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

A friend of mine shared these with me after asking him about a conversation we had concerning the carvings years ago.

Really need more height to pick out the details of the carvings and to distinguish the old from the new.

The first allegedly shows a Native American throwing the head of a helmeted man (a helmet typical of DeSoto era helmets) over the falls. So they were sacrificed by cutting their heads off instead of throwing the whole body over the falls as I originally posted.
    Last edited by Uncle Wayne; 04-27-2010 at 13:58. Reason: Added photo.
    Uncle Wayne

Images

If you hike the BMT north to Noontootla falls, they are high enough and deadly enough to have been a sacrificial site. I have seen several hunting dogs and deer among those falls, and are fairly close to Long Creek Falls. I may have to go explore them again now.

I don't have any info on the carvings, but thought I'd post this picture of one I took last year for those who haven't seen the carvings. I have some other photos of the carvings, but this is the only one I can get to at the moment.

Images

Talking

The first allegedly shows a Native American throwing the head of a helmeted man (a helmet typical of DeSoto era helmets) over the falls. So they were sacrificed by cutting their heads off instead of throwing the whole body over the falls as I originally posted.

Ahhhh... the first Department of Homeland Security fighting foreign terrorists!!!

RainMan

Images

Default Are these photos from carving at Long Creek Falls?

A friend of mine shared these with me after asking him about a conversation we had concerning the carvings years ago.

Really need more height to pick out the details of the carvings and to distinguish the old from the new.

Sorry - read the conversation back-and-forth about the carvings and couln't discern if you were saying that the two photo you posted were actually from Long Creek. Please elaborate!

Yes, the rock carving photos are from Long Creek Falls.

Images

What type of rock is this?

Thanks for the pics and the background info.

Images

I don't think i see that. I see what could possibly be a mermaid or a whale standing up.
    Did anyone decide exactly where these rocks are? Looks like I need to go peek!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Did anyone decide exactly where these rocks are? Looks like I need to go peek!
    When standing at the base and looking at the falls, look at the large rocks to your right. That's where the picture I posted is from.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jalford View Post
    When standing at the base and looking at the falls, look at the large rocks to your right. That's where the picture I posted is from.
    Thank you!

Here is a link on the use of glyphs in the Maritimes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi'kmaq...lyphic_writing

Images

I searched in vain for these carvings this past April. I stared at that rock for a hour and could not find anything resembling a helmeted head. Neat carvings of people and animals, but no headless conquistadors. Awesome little tale though, even if its apocryphal.
    Mobilis in Mobili

++ New Posts ++