WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poor moose

tideblazer
    Images

wolf I didn't know you were so sensitive. "You're not one of those PETA whack-jobs", are you?

If you think that's bad, you should see what many cell towers do to birds:

http://www.earthisland.org/eijournal...5&journalID=66

Poor moose
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Red face

He might of had an impressive spread of antlers, but I doubt we can say the same about his brain -

"The prevailing theory is that the moose came across the sagging and swaying wires and, in a testosterone-filled moment, decided to challenge the power line to a fight, as bull moose are known to do during the rut, or mating season."

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

The moose lives through hanging by his antlers only to be killed... Not a member of PETA but definitely a sympathizer. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

HH what's up with the small print, you typing with a moose brain?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin
    HH what's up with the small print, you typing with a moose brain?
    Not even sure how I did that... Yeap, must be moose brain at work! Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Some of the PETA stances seem rather extreme, but not all of them when you think about how many animals do get abused. After a brother in law beat to death my fathers dog, I started thinking differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    wolf I didn't know you were so sensitive. "You're not one of those PETA whack-jobs", are you?

If you think that's bad, you should see what many cell towers do to birds:

http://www.earthisland.org/eijournal...5&journalID=66

Poor moose

just wondering, if not for tower being built that high, wires buried in the ground, cat trained not to kill birds, et al., and we will have high rate of bird dropping on everyone's head.

Flash Hand

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Hand
    just wondering, if not for tower being built that high, wires buried in the ground, cat trained not to kill birds, et al., and we will have high rate of bird dropping on everyone's head.

Flash Hand
    Better bird droppings than Moose!

I have nothing against PETA, those were wolf's words from long ago that i suddenly remembered from one of his one-liners.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by HikeLite
    Some of the PETA stances seem rather extreme.
    Some? I believe the proper wording would be..... almost all of.... etc etc

Ripple, I was trying to be diplomatic, but you are correcta.

I am a vegan. I am very active in animal rights. I am not a dick about it. If someone wants to eat meat, that is their choice. I have my beliefs and that is just what they are. There are very few things that I would actually get upset with someone else for. I will say this though, PETA SUCKS. Here are some statics, purely from an Animal Rights standpoint.

In a 1992 report by the NCIB, National Charities Investigation Bureau, PETA spent 42% of its organizational expenses on fundraising. Only 20% on actual research and investigation in to animal cruelty.
    More current reports examining PETA's tax filings have shown as little as 1% of PETA's total revenue actually goes directly to helping animals; usually small donations to animal clinics or similar organizations. PETA's 2001 tax filings show some interesting donations:

1. Compassion Unlimited Plus Action - Bangalore - Donation - $11.11
    2. PETA Research & Education Foundations - Donations $29.16
    3. In Defense of Animals - Donation $71.11
    4. Virginia Police Defense Fund, Norfolk Police Union - Donation - $150
    5. Society for Abolition of Animal Exploitation - Donation - $150
    6. Kalamazoo Animal Liberation League - Donation - $150
    7. Vieques Humane Society - Donation - $25
    8. SNAP - Donation - $50,000

PETA's donations totaled only $206,655.58, but they had a total revenue of almost $14 Million.

PETA spent the following on

1. PETA TV - Expense - $13,268.84
    2. Electronic equipment, computers, cameras - Expense- $33,869.24
    3. Automobiles - Expense - $148,362.02
    4. SNAP Vehicle - Expense - $150,000.00
    5. Buildings and improvements - Expense - $295,101.60 (After a $195,000 donation of property)
    6. Land - Expense - 94,170.00

It makes one ask the questions, what is PETA really about? Why do they choose to spend more money on promoting themselves than actually helping animals?
    In 1999, PETA euthanized 1,325 of the 2,103 animals it took. PETA claimed that euthanizing the cats was much kinder than leaving them in the streets. PETA made the statement that a quick painless death is much better than a slow painful one. However, when hunters or farmers talk of quick painless ways of killing animals, PETA calls them barbarians and claim no animal death is justified.

As for the moose, I think they shoudl have spent less time worrying abotu the meat, and more time worrying about the moose. Regardless, this just reiterates the fact that mooses are, pound for pound, one of the stupidest animals on earth.

American Idiot
    Images

Do you have a web link for the above information?
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

I am sorry, I dont have a web source. I will see if I can get some more current information though. In my opinion, PETA spends a lot of money making people aware of AR issues, and a very small amount of money actually supporting Animal Rights. I mean, I am not completely against PETA, I just think there are a lot better AR groups out there who do a lot better job educating people, and they dont have to use sex and scare tactics to sell there point.

I'm an animal lover too. I love animals broiled,fryed,braised,BBQed,boiled,roasted. i love animals. Hmmmm....I wonder what moose meat tastes like? 1,000 plus pounds.You'd need alot of KC MasterPiece for that one! Sounds like one big ass BBQ. Mmmmm.....I feel this overwhelming urge to got out and cook some meat over an open fire.

I belong to PETA.

People
    Eating
    Totally
    Animals

BooBoo, Those comments are just sick and really represent you as an animal "cruelist". Everyone knows that moose meat and wild game in general should be slow smoked over apple or mesquite, and only then after a good syringe full of honey/molasses......and you claim to be from Kansas. Shame on you...
    http://www.trailjournals.com/sprocket/

"Put the hammer down, keep it full speed ahead..."
    -B.B.King

Default It was a bummer

Personally, I felt sorry for the moose. Bull moose can be very aggressive during the rut, and when he saw that cable moving, I'm sure he wanted to spar with it. (Of course bull moose, buck deer, etc. spar with trees during the rut all the time.)

I'm sure it was a traumatic experience once he was caught. As far as killing the moose once he was lowered down, I think that was the humane thing to do. When big bucks get their horns entangled and are released, they usually die from the stress. This had to be even worse. Also, how would you release a live 1,400 pound bull moose entangled in cable? If you got a tranquilizer gun, it would probably have taken most of a day and then the moose would be even more certain to die of stress.

It was an unfortunate freak accident. Moose are hunted in that area. It simply made sense to end his suffering and put the meat to good use.

Also, moose can be quite intelligent. Most people see unhunted moose, which tend to be fairly tame moose. Last weekend, we saw a cow and calf here in Alaska. They were 50 yards off the road and calmly watched us drive by. When we drove down the road and turned around, they were running off as we came back. They knew we were coming to check them out.

For all you guys that are making fun of PETA. http://mtd.com/tasty/

Some guy bought the rights to www.peta.org before peta could get their hands on it. They Suited, and they won, but the first link is what it used to look like. I still find it funny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++