WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What I found that works well is to hang my pack under my hammock. I have an older Army surplus jungle hammock that has a sheath built in for a weapon as well as a loop with a snap to hang your boots. I use the snap-loop to hang my pack.
    I dont carry a gun while camping, but I often carry a video camera mounted on a tripod. Fits perfectly in the sheath meant for a rifle.
    Hope that helps.

Images

i clip it to the hammock straps or ridgeline if its raining i never put my pack on the ground at nite

Images

I'm currently using and loving a Byer Moskito. It lays diagonally, has netting and weighs one pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Very true. I am a bigger guy, so I went with the double layer 1.7 ounce Blackbird. But for smaller folks (under 200 lbs) you can get a considerably lighter hammock by going with the 1.1 oz series. There is even now a 1.0 ounce double layer Warbonnet Blackbird in a gorgeous coyote brown nylon. Check them out. They are the pinnacle of a mesh-enclosed hammock at the moment.

They are MUCH easier to hang than the standard Hennessy suspension, and the footbox allows for a much flatter lay than any other hammock I have used (which includes Hennessy, ENO and Clark - though the Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock may be flatter). The gear loft on the Blackbird is also roomier than any other hammock I have tried. It really is superior to any other hammock out there IMO.

Check them out. You won't regret starting with the best.
    Just hike.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Use a combination gear hammock/ pack cover...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I thrown the pack cover on mine and hang it from the suspension just above the hammock knot at the foot end. I use an HH Hyperlight, so that puts the pack right where I can sit up, swing my feet down (but not put them on the ground) and access whatever is still in my pack. It also acts as a kind of windbreak at the foot end.

Here's a picture of one of my hangs without a fly (I use a blackcat style hex in green kite poly) and with the pack cover off. Normally, I'd pull it on backwards and cinch in the drawstring over the front of the pack.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

[QUOTE] Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearpaw
    I put on the pack cover and attach it to my suspension where it attaches to the tree.

Is that your hammock?

Could I be so pesky as to ask which make and model that is (or if anyone else knows)?
    [QUOTE]

Is that a Big MammaJamba I see? If so, are you happy with the coverage over the ends of the hammock?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=Deacon;1030295][QUOTE] Quote:
    I put on the pack cover and attach it to my suspension where it attaches to the tree.

Is that your hammock?

Could I be so pesky as to ask which make and model that is (or if anyone else knows)?

Is that a Big MammaJamba I see? If so, are you happy with the coverage over the ends of the hammock?
    Nope, from what I can tell, that is a Speer Winter Tarp in brown. I'm also the proud owner of one as well and it's definitely one of my favorite tarps.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Nope, from what I can tell, that is a Speer Winter Tarp in brown. I'm also the proud owner of one as well and it's definitely one of my favorite tarps.
    Would like you to explain further. Why do you like this tarp over others?

Images

Default pack

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    don't put your pack under your hammock on the ground. i woke up to noise in NH there was a skunk sitting on pack pulling on zipper. we were 12 " nose to nose. when the skunk left i ran my pack into hostel. fat chap said it was a trained skunk. right.

hung my pack in hawk mt shelter and the mice ate my clothes. i hiked 60 days with a duct tape x on the crotch of my rain pants.

hang from foot of hammock, or head. either or
    Probably good advice, although I've never had a problem with it. I do carry a tyvek "floor" to put under my hammock, not only to acct for possible runoff coming under the hammock, but also to step down on during the night before finding my crocs.

I have also used a jumbo ziploc to put my pack in when I'm using a smaller pack. Fits the regular Granite Gear packs well, but my main pack is a little too tall for it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

[QUOTE=Deacon;1030295][QUOTE] Quote:

Is that your hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Correct, that is a Speer Winter Tarp. I like it, but I have since gone to a Big Mamajamba with detachable doors.

The Big Mamajamba:

battened down,

It gives superior protection to my SWT, closing up tighter.

It also works well in "front porch" mode.

The biggest beauty is that during warmer weather I can leave the doors at home since cold wind is not an issue. The tarp by itself is more than enough to protect from rain.

The doors are definitely a bit fussier than the Speer Winter Tarp, and the WB tarp is a bit heavier, but I really like the flexibility of the overall system.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Default tarp stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Would like you to explain further. Why do you like this tarp over others?
    Good tarps are cut well so that its easy to setup and stay taut - notice the catenary curves on this one.

Also, this is a "winter" tarp which means its large enough for the sides to be pulled down all the way to block wind AND the ends of the tarp can staked as to provide closure on the ends of the hammock. Makes it look like a levitating tent.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Where I put my pack at night depends on where I'm hanging and the weather. Raining, it's either attached to the end of my hammock, on the ground if I'm positive the ground will not be turning into a river or inside my hammock. Nice weather, it's attached to my tree strap on the tree, on ground under hammock or if there are bear cables, I'll hang it up. If light rain, I'll still use bear cables if they are available. If I'm in a place with bears about, I'm usually hanging my pack away from me. But that's because I've left my food and smellys in it. If I remove everything, the pack stays with me.
    my Hammock & tarp is a Clark. I prefer my pack to be hanging off the end of my hammock and that's my first choice when storing it for the night.

TinaLouise

I'm with you TinaLouise. I opt to always hang my pack. Whether it be on the suspension at the foot end or on another tree. If it's raining I'll cover it with the raincover if I brought it or if I didn't bring it than I'm good to go with the trash bag that I packed everything in. No problems so far since the pack is pretty darn empty once I'm all set-up and I've hung the food etc. for the night.

Images

Most of the time I camp near shelters and I'll just hang my pack up inside. If I'm stealth camping I'll put my pack and boots inside a large drawstring trash bag and leave it on the ground directly underneath my hammock. The pack is mostly empty so I've never had an issue with critters bothering it, and it's always stayed dry.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I have a mini-biner on my pack's lift strap, and just clip it to my hammock supports most of the time. Sometimes I leave it on the ground below the hammock.
    Ditto. I usually either just throw it under my hammock or put the carabiner to my lift strap and clip it to the hammock supports. This works especially well to block wind if you can't close off your tarp ends.

Has anyone tried to use a small dedicated hammock for their pack? I am thinking of a gear hammock that could hang near the sleeping hammock.

yes on the gear hammock, although not me, I've only read of other's doing that. Also I've read of some having a gear hammock and their dog sleeps in it!!! Plus the gear hammock can also be a chair. Some will hang it under their main hammock, you just have to adjust the height of everything so the gear doesn't touch the ground.

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Default Gear Hammock

I use one of these for storing my pack in... I hang it under my hammock and UQ just a few inches above the ground. It also functions as a pack cover rather well.

Re: the Gear Hammock, the attached picture is the kids hammock that I used as a gear hammock, which was the precursor to the DIY Gear Hammock Pack Cover, which JRB began producing as linked above.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

I too use a carabiner to hook my pack to the hammock tree huggers. Rather than use my pack cover, I take a commercial trash bag (heavy mill), and put it on my pack from the bottom up...then I just tie a loose knot on the top.

Yes, in heavy rain some water leaks down the carabiner, but because I use another commercial trash bag as my pack liner...I don't really care.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++