WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SCA Crew near mammoth lakes

I just got into a student conservation crew from June 20 to July 19 in Inyo National Forest, near Mammoth Lakes. I will be working on a 3 mile section of the JMT and 17 other miles of side trails. If anyone can tell me what to expect i would appreciate it and Im really pumped.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by puddingboy View Post
    I just got into a student conservation crew from June 20 to July 19 in Inyo National Forest, near Mammoth Lakes. I will be working on a 3 mile section of the JMT and 17 other miles of side trails. If anyone can tell me what to expect i would appreciate it and Im really pumped.
    You can expect to work in some of the most gorgeous scenery you'll ever see in your life. Have a great time!

Phreak,

be prepared for hard work and long days. enjoy the folks that you're with...stay in contact (wish we had facebook back in the 90's). typically, you'll work for the first 80% of your time (work meaning as many as 6 days out of 7) depending on the project and then spend the last part on a celebratory backpacking trip with your team.

have fun! you're really going to be in a great spot. be sure to stay in touch with your team members and leaders. write a letter to your "sponsor". and try to maintain contact with the local ranger...you'll have the inside edge on summer internships and junior ranger jobs.

if you have specific questions about what to bring feel free to email me. I do know that curtis (curtisvowen) at standing bear did an SCA gig at some point...and that there was a guy on here looking for advice this time last year...search out his thread and email him for some more recent info.

Johnny T

i mean, pudding boy...sorry, phreak...you can email me, too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    i mean, pudding boy...sorry, phreak...you can email me, too.
    lol.......

Working hard, moving a lot of rock.

Being from my wife's hometown and not seeing many hills,let alone mountains,you will be awestruck by the majesty of the Ritter Range and the San Joaquin River watershed that runs through that area.Little wonder people come from afar to hike the JMT,you'll be working in my favorite section of it.Enjoy your experience.

Hot showers at Reds Meadow campground bathhouse (naturally heated spring)

JMT in that region can be awesome, or something I'd rather bypass (Rainbow Fire region, some of the beach trail just northbound of the Reds Meadow Pack station down to the river. No rocks ot move there, just dust and pumice.

Hard to say what you will be working on if it's a 3 mile stretch. Really depends on the elevation and location. Some of the side trails in the area are among my favorite places in the Sierra (I usually avoid most of the JMT between Donohue Pass and Silver Pass).

++ New Posts ++