WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Granite Gear Escape A.C. 60

Has anyone tried out this new GG pack? I'm a big fan of my vapor trail, but it has definitely seen better days; I was wondering if this one might be a worthy upgrade. Backpacker magazine seemed to think highly of it:

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide...ack/gear/13881

Any thoughts?

Images

having not even looked at the pack, if Backpacker recommended it, i would instinctively NOT buy it. but that's just me and my relationship with that fine periodical and its "best gear" definition.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Images

This doesn't seem much anything like the VT. Still no small pockets on the hip belt, which is something I personally like because it gets stuff out of my clothing pockets. The side pockets are now for a water bottle only, not the mammoth gear holders they are on the VT. At 3lbs, I can't see this being an upgrade to those seeking something lightweight like the VT. The market is pretty crowded right now with 3lb packs.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

There are some pics of it at BPL.com in the forums. The side pockets angle now so getting a watter bottle out should be easy. The suspension is also more robust than the VT but not as much as the Ozone.

Just a comment re: Backpacker. I don't like the magazine much but avoiding their gear choices would preclude you from looking at ULA, Six Moon Designs, Tarptent, MLD, and Gossamer Gear. They have tested and recommended products from these fine cottage makers.

On the other hand, I do know what you are suggesting and would agree that marketing dollars go a long way to improving the chances of a recommendation!

3lbs, 3600 cubes, sounds suspiciously like a Nimbus Ozone w/ a lid and a front pocket.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    3lbs, 3600 cubes, sounds suspiciously like a Nimbus Ozone w/ a lid and a front pocket.
    No, that would be the Nimbus Meridian.

This one is quite a bit different than the Ozone.

It's light, but not ultralight. My Golite Dawn weighs 14 oz. but it's smaller - 2800 cu. in.
    My GG Virga is a little bigger. It's my winter gear pack. It weighs something like 17 or 18 oz.
    Neither have frames.
    I don't carry more than 30 lbs, so I don't need a frame (actually, both packs have a "frame" of sorts - a closed cell pad that weighs around 4 and 6 ounces, respectively). I use them as sit pads and "doormats" for my hammock.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Your frameless packs won't carry nearly as well as a comparative framed pack, especially at 30lbs.

++ New Posts ++