WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tick Seasons

Images

permethrin is fatal to cats and is classified by the US EPA as a likely human carcinogen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    permethrin is fatal to cats and is classified by the US EPA as a likely human carcinogen.

Panzer
    From the US EPA:
    Likely to be Carcinogenic to Humans by the oral route

....so don't drink it.

Reference: Permethrin Facts
    Roland

I try real hard to resist the urge to drink the permethrin. I've been successful to date.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by jhensley View Post
    I'm from Kentucky and I know numerous of people who have contracted Lyme locally. That map is a bit of a farce.
    Really? That makes me worry a bit more...

I had a tick bite for which I ended up going to an urgent care center last Sunday. A baseball-sized red spot developed around the bite (on my back). No bullseye shape though, just a big red spot.

It turned out I had a pretty big local histamine reaction to the bite, but it was not Lyme.

The doctor told me that Lyme was very rare in Kentucky. I was hoping that was true...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    It turned out I had a pretty big local histamine reaction to the bite, but it was not Lyme.

The doctor told me that Lyme was very rare in Kentucky. I was hoping that was true...
    Hope the doc is right too. I read stories about misdiagnosis and your symptoms would make me nervous too.

Stay on top of it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    A baseball-sized red spot developed around the bite (on my back). No bullseye shape though, just a big red spot.
    not everyone gets the bulls eye.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post

It's a known fact that about 95% of those who contract Lyme never saw the tick that bit them...so daily checks are not going to get the job done.

Or, it could be that those who don't see that tick are the ones not doing daily checks. But, yeah, I would use some sort of bug deterrent.

Recently (April 11th or so) hiking in the Wekiwa State Park in Florida, our group found about 10-12 ticks each-just on a 2 mile portion of a hike. Three weeks before-different location but basically the same region ( Little Econ Forest in Florida) no ticks at all-and this was after a thorough search afterward.

Seems in the last few weeks they have definitely become more active-at least down here in the Tourist South .

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post

Panzer
    Extreme poisons are in many ways just as bad when absorbed by your skin as it is direct exposure, not broken down by your digestive system. Also rarely can you keep the poison on your entire body all day long. A better way to avoid Lyme is to religiously pick all the ticks off you twice a day. Once after you urinate in the morning and once just before you go to sleep. Just slowly cover your body and pick off everyting that feels like dirt that will not come off easily. This is the best way to avoid Lyme and if you make it a habit is quite easy.

Greetings Felllow Travelers SerenitySeeker's Avatar

dont drink the permethrin, or give to cat, bring along someone close enuf to check my head and oher areas, pick each other clean twice a day...got it...
    seriously reconsider my desire to hike...got it...

Images

Lyme disease is less likely in the south than in the north, but it seems to be extending its range. I've read trail journals mentioning people off the trail because of Lyme in Virginia and south. There are other serious tick borne disease that are present in the south.

The ticks are less active in winter and you're less likely to pick them up. They are active in Connecticut in the forest floor litter year round.

Tick season in full swing, up here in Maine.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I was out yesterday, with my nephew, who is a logger. I didn't happen to pick up a tick, but he did. We were in the woods for about 2 hours...

Be careful, check for ticks after every hike/excursion to the great outdoors!

God Bless,

Stickman

http://www.scripturesticks.com/

Thanks RayBan...good to know!

Journal Entries
    Images

When the wind blows?

today I went for a walk down a jeep sized trail along farmers fields and when I got home I felt something on the neck --- yep the wind propels the little suckers or he jumped from a tree.. He didn't crawl up the pants in half an hour.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I really dislike ticks..

Journal Entries
    Images

I really dislike ticks and Bedbugs!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Went to the Doc's yesterday for my annual physical in Pittsfield MA. He spotted my two tick bites I received the beginning of April. He said on average if he sees 10 patients with tick bites in their Urgent Care Facility then of those 10, 2 test positive for Lyme but 1 will be a false positive. Not all persons with Lyme will have the "bulls eye) and most interesting the bulls eye can appear anywhere not just around the bite site. He said the size of the bulls eye depends on the persons reaction to the bite, he had one patient last summer with the classic bulls eye but it was on one side of her body from her knee to her shoulder and half of her front and back and the bite was on the other side of her torso. Ticks suck!

Journal Entries
    Images

Always good to get a second opinion, I broke all the rules two weeks ago and went back to an earlier family doctor I hadn't seen since 94. 10 days of Doxycyline sometimes is NOT enough, so I got the tests, and a second perscription with a refill.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Always good to get a second opinion, I broke all the rules two weeks ago and went back to an earlier family doctor I hadn't seen since 94. 10 days of Doxycyline sometimes is NOT enough, so I got the tests, and a second perscription with a refill.
    Last May I was prescribed three weeks' worth.
    I had repeat symptoms in November (probably another bite, or some other type of reaction that caused the same elbow to swell like a football). That was out of state and the doc prescribed two weeks' worth (no titer test either time - I opted out - didn't want to wait for the results).
    I never spotted ticks or a rash, but I had a possible positive back in the '90s and the symptoms were the same.
    If you explain to your doctor that you spend a lot of time in the woods where Lyme disease is known to be a problem, you might get the Doxy without too much resistance from your physician.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    When the wind blows?

today I went for a walk down a jeep sized trail along farmers fields and when I got home I felt something on the neck --- yep the wind propels the little suckers or he jumped from a tree.. He didn't crawl up the pants in half an hour.
    I'm going to have to go ahead a disagree with you here... Ticks don't jump from trees and aren't some airborne menace like flying monkeys or something. What they can do is crawl a hell of a lot faster than you might think. 30 minutes is more than enough time for a small army of ticks to climb from your socks to the top of your head and plant a flag there, have a siesta, and climb back down again.

Images

I found a tick in my house yesterday, and I really don't think I carried it in!
    At least it wasn't a deer tick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++