WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail Days 2010 - camping and parking updates

Things are taking shape in the new camping area, and there will be plenty of parking for the campground. You can see the current information, as well as some photos of the high and dry camping areas, here:

http://www.traildays.us/camping.html

We will open the campground a week early for about 20 volunteers to help us cut new trails along the creek, and to clear some areas for group camping. I will post this in a separate thread later.

There is no charge for camping this year. Parking is being assigned to a private concessionaire this year, and the parking fees will be about the same.

There will be no vehicles in the camping areas. We will set up a drop-off point for your equipment, and at the most you might have to carry stuff the length of two football fields to the furtherest camping site. Most sites will be along Beaverdam Creek. See the photos on the link above.

This is a transitional year. Next year we will return to part of the old campground, with a new parking area, new bathroom facilities, and a new general purpose field.

Thanks for all the work and information Local!

Hikingsasquatch Hikingsasquatch's Avatar
    Images

Default I'm liking the looks of this year's campsites

Pleased to see that this year's campsites will be set back in the woods on the creek. More scenic, more private, on the water. What's not to like? I'll bring my mountain bike and the old Gregory Denali for more efficient beer runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingsasquatch View Post
    Pleased to see that this year's campsites will be set back in the woods on the creek. More scenic, more private, on the water. What's not to like? I'll bring my mountain bike and the old Gregory Denali for more efficient beer runs.
    Hikingsasquatch, thanks for your positive attitude. We think once people see the new camping area they will like the setting. The "no cars" thing might be a hassle, but as Jester said earlier, "Real hikers will adapt." We would like to move Trail Days next year closer to its original intent of just being for hikers, and separating the vehicles from the camping area is part of this.

Hikingsasquatch Hikingsasquatch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Local View Post
    Hikingsasquatch, thanks for your positive attitude. We think once people see the new camping area they will like the setting. The "no cars" thing might be a hassle, but as Jester said earlier, "Real hikers will adapt." We would like to move Trail Days next year closer to its original intent of just being for hikers, and separating the vehicles from the camping area is part of this.
    Yep. If I were into car camping, I would stay at an RV park.
    Is the wooded camping area going to be managed by the hikers in attendance, or can we expect frequent police patrols and invasive interrogations by the local authorities again this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingsasquatch View Post
    Yep. If I were into car camping, I would stay at an RV park.
    Is the wooded camping area going to be managed by the hikers in attendance, or can we expect frequent police patrols and invasive interrogations by the local authorities again this year.
    Personally I didn't have any problems with the Damascus Police they were friendly and very tolerant. I observed on several occasions them telling people not to carry around open cans of "adult beverages" and not just whipping out the cuffs. Now the Sheriff department is another issue they walked around in groups of 6 or more even brought in their horses, little overkill for a bunch of hikers. Local knows more of the story..... Damascus Police should run the show. I remember last year Local did a post on what problems occurred and they happened not by hikers but local kids.
    WalkingStick"75"

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    Personally I didn't have any problems with the Damascus Police they were friendly and very tolerant. I observed on several occasions them telling people not to carry around open cans of "adult beverages" and not just whipping out the cuffs. Now the Sheriff department is another issue they walked around in groups of 6 or more even brought in their horses, little overkill for a bunch of hikers. Local knows more of the story..... Damascus Police should run the show. I remember last year Local did a post on what problems occurred and they happened not by hikers but local kids.
    What is wrong with horses? I mean it is easier than getting around by car during events like this. Granted bicycles would be more in line with the spirit of the town, but they both work.

Since we are not charging for camping this year, and since we farmed out the parking concession, the budget for law enforcement is very low. However, other than a limited number of local police (the total force is only five people) there will be a presence by ATF, the county sheriff's department, and some others who are paid separately. At least one of these reportedly had attitude problems last year, trying to provoke an incident with a hiker who just incidentally was a retired law enforcement officer.

A general unwritten rule is not to be overtly stupid (for example, don't fall into the bonfire), and not to make a public display of alcohol or other drug use (don't offer a hit to a uniformed officer). My personal observation is that most of the trouble comes from under-aged local kids, and local non-hikers who show up just for the party. We will again ask you to report any suspicious behavior, like an obvious non-hiker checking out campsites. A police post will be located close to the manufacturer's reps, in a central position. Hikers usually to a great job of taking care of their own, and we ask you to do that again this year.

Images

White Russian
    Nothing wrong with horses, use to have them and work them in events like this. Not effective at TD too crowded, most tents need guide rope just too many hazards. Great for parking areas, searches and crowd control.
    WalkingStick"75"

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

That creek makes a natural refrigerator for my umm....sodas...
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Question: I am planning on heading down after work on Thursday next week...a 5.5-6 hour drive. So i won't arrive till late, is the parking area open all night? I am assuming I can just set up my tent in the woods upon arrival? Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bigboots

Bigboots, come on down any time. If you arrive late try the parking area near the Damascus General Store, across from the campground. Leave a note in the window that you will pay the next morning. If you have to park along the road, leave a note for Chief Nunley and tell him you're moving the car in the a.m. to the parking area. Thursday things will be moderately chaotic so just ask where the camping area is, and find a site. Bring a flashlight. We're in the woods with few amenities.

El Sordo
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    What is wrong with horses? I mean it is easier than getting around by car during events like this. Granted bicycles would be more in line with the spirit of the town, but they both work.
    nothing wrong with horses in the camping area as long as they are housebroken.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Local View Post
    Bigboots, come on down any time. If you arrive late try the parking area near the Damascus General Store, across from the campground. Leave a note in the window that you will pay the next morning. If you have to park along the road, leave a note for Chief Nunley and tell him you're moving the car in the a.m. to the parking area. Thursday things will be moderately chaotic so just ask where the camping area is, and find a site. Bring a flashlight. We're in the woods with few amenities.
    Good Info. Thanks Richard. Since I will be arriving also late on Wednesday night, good to know

The campground is unofficially open. If you drive in, park your car near the bingo hall, and on Thursday take it across the street to the Damascus General Store and talk to Jeremiah about parking. He will sell you a weekend pass. I think he raised the price to $20. But camping is free this year.

Several folks have already been heard complaining about the Parking fee. Please keep in mind that the guy also has to pay for short-term insurance, staff, etc.

And keep in mind that whatever minor problems or inconveniences exist this year, especially as regards parking; unloading vehicles, etc., this is a ONE TIME thing; there's no fee for camping, and we'll be in a different place next year.

And I realize my perspective is a bit different because I'm one of the guys that worked on the site before it opened, but I think in many ways that this year's hiker campground is BETTER than last year's. Instead of complaining about the town and the townspeople here in Damascus, I can think of several outspoken hikers who should be thanking them!

++ New Posts ++