WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I also have a new kettle. I really like it. It is the GSI Halulite Ketalist I use with the alcohol Super Stove. Everything I use fits inside.

I also got the GSI Halulite Minimalist, replacing the lid with the bottom and top of a "cheetos" can from the Dollar Store. I felt their lid was overmuch.

I have already used both. The insulation on the Minimalist works for FBC-freezer bag cooking. I did put my vest over the top because the substituted lid is quite thin. For packing, I add the plastic lid over that and put the entire kit in a plastic bag.

Either one is food safe. They are a special alloy of aluminum and the Minimalist has a heavy proprietary ceramic coating.

I think you might like either one.

Good start! You're well ahead of where I was before my thru last year.

The fire starter kit, even at 0.5 oz seems redundant to me. You already have hand sanitizer and a lighter, which I've found can be used to start a fire. The alcohol in the hand sani burns, or you can use denatured alcohol, too.

There are a few items of clothing that seem like overkill to me. I would get rid of the convertible pants if you're not going to hike in them. You have rain pants and running shorts already, and you have long underwear for changing into at the end of the day. And I got by the whole trail on one pair of exofficio boxers, but YMMV.

Definitely do some shakedown hikes, those will help you out, and Happy Trails!

-WolfPack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++