WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bear Attack!

Journal Entries
    Images

Journal Entries
    Images

Never mind, the link didn't take and I can't find it now!

Images

The link is bad
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    Never mind, the link didn't take and I can't find it now!
    I did a google search on "bear bites camper," and the story was the first listing.

Weary

Journal Entries
    Images

you have a bogus link! resend. get iy rigt dude!
    cutty

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
    you have a bogus link! resend. get iy rigt dude!
    cutty
    Is your middle name "Sark?"

BTW, the bear is now dead...

Weary,

I "googled" bear bites camper.

I got a story from 2008, 2006 and 2002.

This is kind of amusing an actual Bear Scare Misfire.

I wish there was a databank of blackbear attacks that didn't result in death, than this list would be much larger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America

You do take a chance when you go into the woods, but it is usually an overstated danger concerning black bears, but it is something to consider. But I will still sleep with my food next to me in my tent.

I always get a chuckle when I read comments similar to this (I read this on a NJ website about someone that was attacked).

"Although I feel sorry for the groundskeeper if he is telling the truth, I find the details of this so called "attack" suspicious. This is not normal black bear behavior, and I believe there are a lot of missing facts here. Black bears are not predatory animals are usually quite timid of people. There is no reason this animal had to be destroyed. People need to become more educated on black bears in NJ."

That's just typical ill-informed animal lover talk. Black bears are predators, but luckily for us they are omnivorous and spend more time looking for berries and such than big game meat. However, if given a chance they will snatch a kid in no time.

Images

why did the folks shooting video not wake up the sleeping camper?

Quote Originally Posted by bus View Post
    why did the folks shooting video not wake up the sleeping camper?
    Are you kidding me? That's a horrible breach of YouTube etiquette. And, John, there have been two predatory black bear attacks in the area in the last several years, one in the Smokies, where the target woman was partially eaten and one to the south in the Cherokee National Forest (a campground), where a child was eaten...

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I wish there was a databank of blackbear attacks that didn't result in death, than this list would be much larger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America

You do take a chance when you go into the woods, but it is usually an overstated danger concerning black bears, but it is something to consider. But I will still sleep with my food next to me in my tent.

I always get a chuckle when I read comments similar to this (I read this on a NJ website about someone that was attacked).

"Although I feel sorry for the groundskeeper if he is telling the truth, I find the details of this so called "attack" suspicious. This is not normal black bear behavior, and I believe there are a lot of missing facts here. Black bears are not predatory animals are usually quite timid of people. There is no reason this animal had to be destroyed. People need to become more educated on black bears in NJ."

That's just typical ill-informed animal lover talk. Black bears are predators, but luckily for us they are omnivorous and spend more time looking for berries and such than big game meat. However, if given a chance they will snatch a kid in no time.
    I was looking at bear attack cases online and found one (a while ago) where an infant was snatched from a stroller on the front porch of a home in NY not that many years ago. I'll try to Google it up again, don't know if the link is still active.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Here's the link to the attack in 2006 near Chilhowee Campground in the Cherokee Nationat Forest:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...attack-to-air/

Here's the link to the 2000 attack on the Little River trail (near the "Y" to Cades Cove):

http://www.mysmokymountainvacation.c...ar-attack.html

As I said, both attacks were predatory. When I started hiking the GSMNP extensively in the early '70s, there were an estimated 500 bears. Now, the rangers estimate 1500, and rangers have told me privately that they regard that as a substantial under-estimate. With that kind of population, it's amazing there haven't been more incidents...

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    And, John, there have been two predatory black bear attacks in the area in the last several years, one in the Smokies, where the target woman was partially eaten and one to the south in the Cherokee National Forest (a campground), where a child was eaten...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I was looking at bear attack cases online and found one (a while ago) where an infant was snatched from a stroller on the front porch of a home in NY not that many years ago. I'll try to Google it up again, don't know if the link is still active.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Here's the link to the attack in 2006 near Chilhowee Campground in the Cherokee Nationat Forest:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...attack-to-air/

Here's the link to the 2000 attack on the Little River trail (near the "Y" to Cades Cove):

http://www.mysmokymountainvacation.c...ar-attack.html

As I said, both attacks were predatory. When I started hiking the GSMNP extensively in the early '70s, there were an estimated 500 bears. Now, the rangers estimate 1500, and rangers have told me privately that they regard that as a substantial under-estimate. With that kind of population, it's amazing there haven't been more incidents...
    I believe you two have misread my original post or maybe I'm misreading your replies? I do agree that black bears are predatory. And the links you provided are all listed in my link I posted (Post #11) above (and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America).

What I was saying is that I wish there were a database to go to that listed all black bear attacks, not just the ones that resulted in a fatality.
    Last edited by Mags; 04-29-2010 at 10:09.

That looked more like a curious bear nibble than a Bear Attack! haha

Poor camper - Poor bear. They both probably **** their pants.
    "Do you believe in an afterlife?" the gunslinger asked him as Brown dropped three ears of hot corn onto his plate.

Brown nodded. "I think this is it."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    That looked more like a curious bear nibble than a Bear Attack! haha

Poor camper - Poor bear. They both probably **** their pants.
    Sure does!
    Poor bear looked just as scared as the person.
    Looked like a cub. Thought it was just a dog at first.

I think the bear was just trying to find out whether the person was alive.
    If he was not, bear may have had a good meal

FW

John, I apologize. Reading fast, I missed the quotes around the statement about bears being timid, etc. I realize now that it's not your thinking. And I agree that a single database would be helpful. It would depict where certain behaviors are likely to occur. There are DBs, but they're splintered...

Images

I thought there was some discussion about that attack on the woman before. Wasn't her ex suspected of killing her and smearing her with peanut butter? It was never proven and he may have gotten away with murder.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++