WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

This thread IS educational. It is important to boycott Climber 2377.

Images

I've passed through Uncle Johnny's a few times in recent
    years and have no complaints. I've gotten shuttle rides from
    Johnny, his wife, daughter and seasonal help. No complaints.
    My overnight stays there have been good experiences. There's
    usually someone interesting around the tables, WQUT plays
    all night on the sound system and no one says anything if
    you sneak a beer out of the cooler. I'll be back at some point.

Used UJ's for two section hikes with overnights stays and shuttles. Had a great experience both times. I'll definitely be back.

Sounds like the OP is a bit high strung & couldn't handle Johnny's laid back, slow pace.

You are right, we can only talk about our own experiences. Our experience with Uncle Johnny's was OUTSTANDING. Nice man, nice place.

It is also my experience that you are the type of hiker who gives the rest of us a bad name--why people do not want us in their towns or their stores. We are no more entitled to expect after hours service than someone who shows up at a store after it has already closed.

Images

when i was tbere it was only ME, but i still got a FREE shuttle to town, thats right it was a FREE shuttle. i was the only one there, but i got a FREE shuttle. when i was done in town i called to go back and i got a FREE shuttle. the next day i was offered a FREE shuttle, but i had to go
    PS i had to make my own coffee in the morn and the pot was outside and i only got 2 hours on the internet. the traffic noise kept me up and my wash got back late. im going to start a thread about this.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

johnny runs a hostel the way it should be run. for profit

Images

Quote Originally Posted by reddenbacher View Post
    ok guys here it goes.#1 look where he is from,Westchester co. ny.i lived in the north for 18 years and the worst folks come from that area.snooty snotty,we all owe them a place at a table even if they are not invited.i do have a very good friend from there.he only stays because he makes insane amounts of money off those a-holes.this is not hear say,first hand knowledge.this guy backs up my opinion very well.uncle j is a real dossey ,but better people than comes from that snotty part of ny.oh and by the way northern ny would like to annex them selves from theses jack leggs.you wonder why?
    Ahhh, there are those friendly midwesterners that just kill you with kindness
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

I stayed with UJ last month and went in with an open mind, despite all of the turbulent history with Erwin service providers.

I found him to be a really nice guy and his place was more than adequate. He runs it like a business but everything was pretty fair.

From what I observed, he no longer drives, but his wife and some other guy give shuttles. His wife gave us an entertaining riding into Erwin, though her attempt to back out of their driveway with a 10 passenger van is the stuff Youtube videos is made of.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Also sorry you felt the need to come on here and tell everyone about it. You won't have to worry much after this, there aren't many hostels at all north of VA
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Johnny's is a good place. He took time to schedule me a pick up shuttle at Spivey Gap during the crowd. I got to the 19W an hour early, and hitched a ride with Unaka Rescue back into town. Called UJs cancelled my shuttle, and said no problem.

But if its not your thing, there is the Nolichucky Campground & Hostel and the hotels in town.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 04-29-2010 at 22:13.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by climber2377 View Post
    i heard some stuff and didnt believe it, then i showed up and was thinking... my friends need a shuttle to be in town with me, so why not go to the guy who runs a shuttle and get them a ride. first i call, he doesnt answer. i then hitch across town to his place and he is outside drinking and when i ask for a shuttle, he says "not to be rude, but shuttles are just about done for the day, its not raining and its not snowing, your friends will be fine" Now it was only around 5:00 when this happend. i m not giving him any of my money, i suggest you dont give him any either! if you have a story that will help perpetuate the theme of this then please post here. do not offer pros and cons, this thread is not a debate*. please post only negative info here. i m sure this is a lot of it.

*Feel free to discuss both the pros and cons of recent experiences. It will be a lot fairer to the proprietor rather than a predefined flaming.
    Added by Alligator.
    Maybe it was in your delivery. I was with athru hiker a few weeks ago and he called UJ to see about a ride and John made arrangements, after hours. Having the entitlement attitude is very unbecoming. Thinking you are owed something from these business owners is wrong. Again, its all in how you treat them as well. Their services are not 24 hour accessible like an ATM. Its their living. If you come across as an a**hole, you will be treated like an a**hole. Your friend wasnt in any danger was he? He wasnt out of food was he? These people arent your personal taxi services.

I came through around March 20th as the crowds(each bed was probably almost filled) were just beginning and had a great experience.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Images

The attitudes by some aspiring thru hikers along the AT are ruining the impressions of backpackers in general and I think it sucks.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

he says "not to be rude, but shuttles are just about done for the day, its not raining and its not snowing, your friends will be fine"
    BTW- how about a quote of what you said to him. Kind of unfair and the context is lost if we only have a "quote" from him. At any rate, by your account he did say "not to be rude". Also, you said you hitched across town to talk to him after he didn't answer the phone? Hmmmm. The way I see shuttle services, they need prior notice and are not 24/7 operations. Can the accommodate emergencies and after hours work? Sometimes. Is it acceptable if they can't? Yes.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    Son, you've just got to learn to take no for an answer with better grace and dignity. NOBODY owes you a thing just because you've decided to go hiking.
    Well said.

UJ says "not to be rude, but its not raining or snowing, your friends are hikers, they can surely hike in tomorrow" in my honest opinion that is absoulutely rude!
    Not to mention, um, startlingly accurate!

Now, I haven't had the best of experiences at Uncle Johnny's (years ago, not relevant now), so my friends will want to note the time and date that I say this -- so they can throw it back in my face later: in this case, I suspect UJ didn't do a thing wrong.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

People from urban areas often confuse AT shuttle services with radio-dispatched cab fleets. Friends of mine from Charlotte will start a logistics discussion with, "I need to be on the Trail by 7 a.m.," or "I'll call for a pickup from XXX this morning." The way you actually need to be thinking is, "I will call and see if they are available to do..." Incredibly enough the shuttle services are usually just one vehicle and one person and they often have other customers, other things to do, and sometimes even take a few hours off.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

This is nothing compared to situations I've been in overseas. No matter where you are, you need to treat who you're trying to do business with respectfully. Nobody owes you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
    This is nothing compared to situations I've been in overseas...
    So true. Many just have no comprehension of how good they got it (living in America), even in the worse of times.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Wow, are we back to this again? I've used this place 3 times. always great, always on time. If you came to me on a nice day after working hours when I was having a drink i think i would have to beg off too. Grow up you baby. you give all hikers a bad name. whaaaa. Whaaaa. Whaaaaaaa!
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Being a thru hiker doesn't make you entitled or special in any way.
    So very true.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
    Nobody owes you anything.
    This bears repeating.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++