WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

WE have used UJ more that once for shuttles and stayed also.
    They made room for me to park a larger than normal truck with camper for 2 weeks, at no charge, and were very accommodating and fair.

By far, there are more good experiences posted here than bad.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

Default you are so far off base here!

Quote Originally Posted by climber2377 View Post
    i heard some stuff and didnt believe it, then i showed up and was thinking... my friends need a shuttle to be in town with me, so why not go to the guy who runs a shuttle and get them a ride. first i call, he doesnt answer. i then hitch across town to his place and he is outside drinking and when i ask for a shuttle, he says "not to be rude, but shuttles are just about done for the day, its not raining and its not snowing, your friends will be fine" Now it was only around 5:00 when this happend. i m not giving him any of my money, i suggest you dont give him any either! if you have a story that will help perpetuate the theme of this then please post here. do not offer pros and cons, this thread is not a debate*. please post only negative info here. i m sure this is a lot of it.

*Feel free to discuss both the pros and cons of recent experiences. It will be a lot fairer to the proprietor rather than a predefined flaming.
    Added by Alligator.

In 2006 I hiked the AT and stayed at Uncle Johnny's. I can't believe your arrogance with this post. UJ was a fine and inexpensive place. They run three shuttles a day free to guests for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. His prices are reasonable and he is very very busy. They have more than enough to do just taking care of their own guests. So even though I have not read all the posts in this thread I am very much with Old Fahrt on this. You need to grow up!

DavidNH
    Last edited by Marta; 05-05-2010 at 17:55.

Default unbelievable

Ok,

I actually read through all the posts on this thread.

I've now re read the original post. I am surprised that the mods even put up with guys like this.

One part of the original post went "This is not a debate. Please post only negative information here. I am sure there is a lot of it." This is a flame and an insult.

I was actually to kind in my post about you. People like you are the problem NOT uncle Johnny.

Briefly:
    No hostel is OBLIGATED to shuttle anyone. They do it as a courtesy and to get business. Uncle Johnny doesn't need the extra business he gets plenty, he is right on the trail.

Many many people find him very friendly. Give respect to get respect

It was 5 pm, it wasn't raining or snowing. Hikers must have a shuttle? Geez. They are hikers. They can darn well walk a couple more miles into down. Good grief. An AT hiker does not NEED a shuttle. They can hitch or umm walk?

Why need a hostel located RIGHT ON THE TRAIL need to shuttle anyone? the hikers come to him!

To the person who said look at his address a(new Rochell, NY I think it was) and how Northerners are so snooty.. please don't judge a whole region by one city. Of course people from or near a big city (NYC, Boston) are snobbier. Folks in the small towns, and in NH and ME are as friendly as anywhere.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    To the person who said look at his address a(new Rochell, NY I think it was) and how Northerners are so snooty.. please don't judge a whole region by one city. Of course people from or near a big city (NYC, Boston) are snobbier. Folks in the small towns, and in NH and ME are as friendly as anywhere.

David
    Poor ATrain, this thread has already upset him and now you have to say this.
    For the record he is not very snooty or snobby and he has a very beautiful girlfriend who hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post

David
    I generally find the opposite to be true... NYC people are friendlier, but small town people are snottier. Seriously, not joking. I grew up in a small town, and the people would have a smile on their face but a knife in their eyes. In NYC, people may be more crass, but at least they tell me how they're feeling upfront. In the small town there was that constant need to put on airs to fit in.

Really though, even generalizing like that is wrong... it all boils down to the individual you're dealing with.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

I've also found there is often a misconception that the Northeast is just a big city. New York, for example, is a decent size state; only a small portion of it being city. However, doesn't seem to matter what state it is, as long as it is "up north". It seems some people will hear a northern accent, which there are many different ones, that are apparently indecipherable to some people from other regions in the country, and assume that person is from New York. N.Y.'s accent is very different from Boston's, which is different than R.I.'s, Maine's, etc...
    On topic- I stayed at UJ's, and had been warned that he he was holding packages to get people to stay longer. (this was in dec.; I finished my sobo in Jan.) When I was there, there were 2 of us expecting packages, and we were both surprised to find that they hadn't arrived; they'd had ample time to get there. It was cold and sleeting and we decided to slackpack a day, and stay another night. When my package had still not arrived after spending 2 nights, I called the person who had sent it, and was told that they had delivery confirmation on it. I went to U.J., I told him about the confirmation and asked him if he could just check again in case he overlooked it. He returned IMMEDIATELY with both of our pacakages. Like, 3 seconds. He said "Oh, Uncle Johnny's a dumb-butt, I musta got 'em mixed up with the others". That's my story. Shady? I dunno. Certainly not that big a deal and definitely could have been an honest mistake. Makes you wonder, though. That being said, he was polite, and I didn't have any problems with him. Funny though, a number of other hiker's had the SAME story........

Allow me to pile on the positive UJ experiences. Last year I did a 170 mile section and I wanted to stay there during the same weekend as the Bristol race. Johnny called me on two different occassions to make sure he could accommodate me. I was offered pizza and beer one night and invited to go to dinner with him the next. The shuttle I scheduled (note: scheduled) was right on time and very affordable.

If I have to make a complaint I will say he was too accommodating.

Pizza and beer after hiking all day and taking a nice hot shower??? Who wants that?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I really don't agree with how the OP started this topic, BUT, I want to point out that in AT Troll's Trail Journal from April 30, the shuttle driver was apparently stricken with the same sort of attitude.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=307894

Not saying anything bad against Uncle Johny's, but over the years I have seen similar complaints and posts as Troll has reported. I find it so strange that some people have this super positive experience and then you get alot of people having experiences such as what Troll describes.

Not to mention the many times I read about Uncle Johny flipping off Miss Janet, or yelling derogatory things at her.

So what is it with this guy? I don't get it.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
    I really don't agree with how the OP started this topic, BUT, I want to point out that in AT Troll's Trail Journal from April 30, the shuttle driver was apparently stricken with the same sort of attitude.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=307894

Not saying anything bad against Uncle Johny's, but over the years I have seen similar complaints and posts as Troll has reported. I find it so strange that some people have this super positive experience and then you get alot of people having experiences such as what Troll describes.

Not to mention the many times I read about Uncle Johny flipping off Miss Janet, or yelling derogatory things at her.

So what is it with this guy? I don't get it.
    I've had a few encounters with the guy mentioned in the journal entry myself.

To be sure, UJ does have one particular guy helping him out who has somewhat of an attitude. The thought crossed my mind last time I was up there that had I had my flat tire when this guy was on duty I would have had to cancel my hike because he isn't the kind of person that'll go out of his way for you - everything seems to an imposition for him.

Still, I've never had any real problems with UJ's and I wouldn't let this guy's bad attitude keep me from recommending the place. As it's a work for stay arrangement the turnover for his position is pretty high - he could be gone tomorrow and then there would be someone new that might be better or worse. But for sure, the guy that was helping him before this guy (big guy named Glen) was definitely a keeper. I'm sure UJ hated to see him go.

Images

It's great to see all the positive support for Uncle Johnny.
    He runs a great place that is a big help logistically to AT
    hikers in the area. I hope he stays with it for a long time
    to come...

Another WB member took the time to contact me via PM and offered some knowledge about UJ's past endeavors. Which helped.

My largest concern personally is that I have him on my list to stop at and what I want to avoid is something that could be a known hassle since I'll have my teenager with me. Fellas whop sit around and drink drive people into town, well.. for me that's something to avoid. (BTW, Troll had the same experience with the same fellow the next day if you read further on his journal - Hikers got left in town because of it)

As was pointed out to me, there are obviously other options available if I get there and don't like what I see. I'll do the polite thing and reserve judgment until I get there next year

I read Troll's account of his experience with UJ's shuttle driver and am struck with what he left out. I saw no reference to any sort of appreciation for the rather extensive use they made of the driver's service. Nowhere did he mention anyone in his group offering the driver a nice tip (or several). Could that be a reason for an alleged bad attitude? Could it be another group being shuttled have no complaints because they don't suffer from "cheap hiker syndrome"?

I don't know there. In my experience I've given tips after receiving good service, not before. And I've never thought of Troll as a cheap hiker, or one who wouldn't do what he could to ensure that the next hiker had a good experience.

But who can say what the hikers before them did? As this thread shows, there are some whose sense of entitlement might result in the next group of hikers being treated like crap. Which is not an excuse -- I don't think a service provider gets a pass just because someone else put them in a mood -- it's just a possible explanation.

We could have a debate over whether someone that temperamental should be dealing with the public (and I think it would be a short debate), but at the very least I can say with some confidence that, considering his rep, it's doubtful that Troll did anything to bring what happened upon himself.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Good advertising.

Spend a hiking season in a hostel owners or service providers shoes ,then come back and tell us how much you liked it. You just might see what some of them are up against.
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Spend a hiking season in a hostel owners or service providers shoes ,then come back and tell us how much you liked it. You just might see what some of them are up against.
    I really don't think that would be a fair way to assess it either. When you work with the public, AND you CHOOSE to work with the public then it is your responsibility to try and put on the best face you can to deal with the public.

Impressions are everything, That means hikers and service providers. How you present yourself can make the difference in how a situation is escalated, de-escalated or sublime.

If I had walked up to Uncle Johnny's that day and the shuttle driver was drinking, then hopped up in the van, car, whatever, that's a bad impression and I would have been visibly displeased. In my opinion is not ok to sit there drinkign beer and then go drive a van or bus full of people around town.

Equally, it goes to say if the employee was there drinking with the owner (dont know if he was) or the owner of the business knew he was drinking and allows that person to drive his clientele around, that to me that impression says that the owner of the business doesn't hold the safety of his patrons in much regard. Does anyone REALLY WANT to put his life in the hands of someone else who has been visibly drinking and you have no idea how much they were drinking? I'm ex law enforcement, the answer for me is no.

The hiker always has the choice to move on, BUT, as in the second day of Troll's experience, he noted some hikers got left behind in town due to this person's negligence. It's not a matter of entitlement at that point, it's a matter that those people were counting on that person to get back to where they were going because it is STATED that they would be picked up, etc.

My wife and I would sometimes sit at the highway outside of Manchester Center and shuttle hikers back and forth to the trailhead all day long without any pay. In all the times we did that, I can only think but maybe one to two people who really acted so poorly as to think because they were thru hiking they deserved special treatment. In contrast, my experience has been most people on the trail are humble but you are always going to have the odd man out.

When you purposefully have a business dealing with the public, then it is your responsibility to deal with the odd man out in a kind manner. It's apparent this doesn't happen that often in Erwin based on the many postings I have read. It's great that there are so many positive experiences, but one bad experience can be enough to leave a sour taste in someones mouth.

In Troll's case, I too seriously doubt that his attitude led up to any of the stuff this shuttle driver pulled. It definitely was not Troll's doing that caused the shuttle driver to drink and drive.

If you don't like the hiker service somewhere, move on.
    Otherwise shut your whiney arses up !
    WALK ON

I think service providers should be given the same courtesy as hikers. This fellow is a person, not just a business. The internet shouldn't be used for personal attacks. This complaint, which was rather lame by the way, could have been done much more discretely, and much less personally, or not at all.

If the OP sincerely wanted to let people know that this small business is not always available for non-urgent requests, it should have been stated that way, without it being a attack on a persons character. There is nothing wrong with a person chosing to run their business more casually. Personally, I would like to see more people run businesses this way. It is the way I would like to live my life if I could.

It always seems to come back to the Golden Rule, doesn't it? People often misinterpret that as "treat me the way I want to be treated". Neither service providers nor hikers should feel any special entitlement. Nobody however, hiker or service provider, should be subject to un-neccessarily personal attacks over the internet. That's far worse than alot of these spats that occur on the trail in my opinion. Who likes to have their laundry aired in such a way, even if its clean?

I know I've gotten overly personal in my attacks at times. Let's all think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    If you don't like the hiker service somewhere, move on.
    Otherwise shut your whiney arses up !
    Works both ways though, doesn't it.

Greetings Felllow Travelers SerenitySeeker's Avatar

I am looking forward now to meeting UJ and making up my mind for myself when I start back into hiking this fall, in fact I may choose the section he is in for my section hike now just so that I can stand on the opposite of your boycott calll. Youve just drummed up my bussiness for him. If you want hiker friendly go to walmart, they will go the extra mile for your money. People do not have to be what you predetermine or fantasize that they should be. Real life real people, deal, adjust get over, move on, climb the mountain.
    The possitive friction created by the interaction of two or more energizes us to grow.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++