WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Storing Bladders

How should I be storing my platypus hydration bladder when not in use? My main concern is avoiding mold growing inside the bladder. I tried getting as much water out as I could, but there was still some left over.

Images

I rinse mine out with a little baking soda, then blow it up (to eliminate any wet corners) and hang it up using a clothespin, open end down. after a couple days, it's completely dry. usually, i just leave it hanging there in the storage room. before using it again, i rinse it (again with baking soda).

my other 'bladder' is one of those Reliance 6 liter jugs. i treat it the same way.

i have a solar shower that's made of some sort of softer plastic, and it won't stay open on it's own like the Platypus and Reliance. Haven't figured out how to dry it out, so it's usually a little funky at first.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

I have a camelbak bladder. After each hike I throw it in a sink full of warm soapy water and wash it real good. Then I take a towel and slide it inside the bladder and shove my hand in there and dry it completely out. Just to be sure I leave a towel inside the bladder to help soak up any extra moisture I may have missed. The tubing still has moisture in it, so I take the bite block off and just swing it around a little bit, and then just let the air dry it out. Has worked great so far, and never had a bad taste left in it.

Default Fish Tank Pump

Quote Originally Posted by Matty427 View Post
    How should I be storing my platypus hydration bladder when not in use? My main concern is avoiding mold growing inside the bladder. I tried getting as much water out as I could, but there was still some left over.
    I do a quick rinse with bleach - not a lot just a drop or two and then a good rinse. Once that is done I hook the bladder up to a Fish Tank air pump. It cost $8 and completely dries the bladder and tube in 4 hours. I have done this with both a Platty and CamelBak - hook up is a little different for each but the results are the same.

Hope this helps.

Mike

After use, I give my platty and camelbak a wash and then throw directly in the freezer until the next use... Every third of forth use I'll wash with a drop of bleech..

I've also used a hair dryer on medium heat to dry my platty... Works in about 10 minutes, but the freezer is a quicker easier option...

I use the refrigerator or freezer method myself. Usually the freezer but I'm finding the refrigerator seems to work also. There is no light in the refrigerator and the cold temps keep anything from growing. And of course, in the freezer, nothing will grow. Sometime I put it in the freezer half full of water. I just have to be careful when I take it out to make sure I don't cause any ice inside to puncture the bladder. Did that once.
    There is a certain joy in exhaustion.

Images

I take the cardboard sleve out of a roll of paper towels and put it inside the bladder and leave it there until it dries out completely.

Panzer

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mlebwill View Post
    I do a quick rinse with bleach - not a lot just a drop or two and then a good rinse. Once that is done I hook the bladder up to a Fish Tank air pump. It cost $8 and completely dries the bladder and tube in 4 hours. I have done this with both a Platty and CamelBak - hook up is a little different for each but the results are the same.

Hope this helps.

Mike
    I like your fish tank pump idea. I've got a small aquarium with only 2 fish, but maybe to buy a 2nd pump for drying my Camelback, and then put it on the aquarium if the old one wears out (before the fish do).

FW

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mlebwill View Post

Hope this helps.

Mike
    I've been using a capful (small cap) of bleach into a half full bladder.
    Swoosh it around for a few minutes, allow some water to run out the hose, then empty and hang. I haven't even bothered to blow-dry or any of the towel tricks; still, mine has been mildew free, even after months of dis-use.
    I think the bleach is the trick

FW

++ New Posts ++