WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Foothills Trail SC

First Post...about time! I'm leading a group (up to 8) to hike from Oconee SP to Table Rock in the end of June for 7 days. Is there a "long term" parking area for hikers at Table Rock? Also, how crowded are the campgrounds at this time? We would like to arrive at Oconee on Saturday, spend the night, and hike out on Sunday. Once ...we arrive at Table Rock the following Sat, we would like to spend Sat nite at the campground and drive out on Sunday. Will we be able to walk in and get sites or do the sites fill up this time of year?
    Thanks for your help!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Lot's of good parking at Table Rock - you won't have any problem.

You have to register at the TR park office (visitor's center), pay $2 per each day you plan be parked and the ranger will give you a map showing you where to park.

Can't say about the campgrounds - there aren't any organized campgrounds with attendants and amenities - there are places to pitch tents with water nearby - in fact, there's water available all over the Foothills Trail so you won't have any problems in that regard.

I hiked from Oconee to TR state parks a few months ago and it was a wonderful hike. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Images

Plenty of camping. Starting at 100 yards off of the Table Rock trail system. Water right at most of it, but for that one you'll have to bring water from Mill creek.

Next group camping is at the old homestead one mile before the Sassafras parking area. Water for that one is one mile before. Next water after that is 500 yards uphill on the road crossing at Chimneytop Gap.

For the entire rest of the hike, water is a total non-issue.

Do you need printable maps? Send me a message and I'll email them to you.
    Just hike.

How long is the Foothills Trail? Where does it begin and end? Does it have good resource material/guidebooks? I am thinking of thru-hiking this trail sometime soon. I have been writing guidebooks for a couple of years. I started with the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in North Carolina in 2008. This year I am writing one for the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky. Next year might be the Cumberland Trail in Tennessee. I might be able to find time to hike the Foothills Trail and the Cumberland Trail in the same year?

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    How long is the Foothills Trail? Where does it begin and end? Does it have good resource material/guidebooks? I am thinking of thru-hiking this trail sometime soon. I have been writing guidebooks for a couple of years. I started with the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in North Carolina in 2008. This year I am writing one for the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky. Next year might be the Cumberland Trail in Tennessee. I might be able to find time to hike the Foothills Trail and the Cumberland Trail in the same year?
    The FT runs from Table Rock State Park to Oconee State Park - about 75 or so miles. There are various spurs and other trails that you can add to increase the length to 100+ miles.

There is a great guidebook and map available at http://www.foothillstrail.org/index.php.

This is one of the best hikes I've ever been on, I highly recommend it.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Watch out when you pay the parking fee at the Visitor Center at Table Rock State Park. The last time I was there the lady wanted to charge me $2 per day *per person* to park a vehicle there. Just tell them you have one person in the vehicle. It did not make sense to me why they would charge for everyone in our group when the car would be empty while it was parked and the majority of time we would not be in Table Rock State Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Watch out when you pay the parking fee at the Visitor Center at Table Rock State Park. The last time I was there the lady wanted to charge me $2 per day *per person* to park a vehicle there. Just tell them you have one person in the vehicle. It did not make sense to me why they would charge for everyone in our group when the car would be empty while it was parked and the majority of time we would not be in Table Rock State Park.
    Musta been a volunteer.... If you see someone working there that isn't a ranger, they're working for free....

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    There are various spurs and other trails that you can add to increase the length to 100+ miles.
    the additions to the foothills trail are endless because it connects with so many other trails. it connects to the bartram trail, which can connect to the AT and the BMT. it also connects to other smaller spur trails.

I've always wanted to hike from Springer Mtn back to my hometown of Greenville, SC. You can almost do that fully on trails now.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Isn't there a longer trail that runs completely across the state of South Carolina?

Images

Isn't there a longer trail that runs completely across the state of South Carolina?
    The Palmetto Trail. It's still very much a work in progress.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    The Palmetto Trail. It's still very much a work in progress.
    That's what I am looking for. Trails in progress. Thanks Bearpaw. Do you know anything about this one?

Images

That's what I am looking for. Trails in progress. Thanks Bearpaw. Do you know anything about this one?
    Not much. I only know of it from when I hiked the Foothills Trail a couple of years ago.

You may also want to look at the Cumberland Trail in Tennessee. It may well be a decade before it is completed because the intention is to make it nearly all a woods trail. Right now, about 200 miles of the total 300 are complete.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

More than likely I will be hoking the Cumberland Trail next year. I was hoping that the Palmetto Trail ends near it so I could just hop over to Tennessee and do both in the same hike. The Cumberland Trail is 172 miles trail and 130 miles road. I have been in contact with the CTC and they have been working with me and provided me with good info about the trail. This one may be my next adventure. In order for me to write a Thru-Hiker's Manual for it I will have to come up with a road walk route to connect the pieces. No problem just a little extra work and probably the challenge I am looking for.

Thanks for your help Bearpaw. Are you going to Trail Days in Damascus?

Taba

Images

More than likely I will be hoking the Cumberland Trail next year. I was hoping that the Palmetto Trail ends near it so I could just hop over to Tennessee and do both in the same hike. The Cumberland Trail is 172 miles trail and 130 miles road. I have been in contact with the CTC and they have been working with me and provided me with good info about the trail. This one may be my next adventure. In order for me to write a Thru-Hiker's Manual for it I will have to come up with a road walk route to connect the pieces. No problem just a little extra work and probably the challenge I am looking for.

Thanks for your help Bearpaw. Are you going to Trail Days in Damascus?

Taba
    Not this year. Maybe next.

Default Palmetto Trail

The Palmetto Trail is definitely a work in progress, but it is progressing. Up to date info at their main site http://www.palmettoconservation.org/aboutthetrail.asp .

I'm definitely considering a long hike starting on the Chatooga Trail then following the Bartram Trail to Franklin. Has anyone hiked one or more of these trails in July or August? Water sources pretty steady etc?
    The older I get, the more I want to know.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mister pooh View Post
    Has anyone hiked one or more of these trails in July or August? Water sources pretty steady etc?
    Yes, the Foothills in July, and I would not do it again. Water sources were not an issue, but I cannot stand laying down at night and it still being 90-degrees.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I second the quality of the guidebook available here: http://www.foothillstrail.org/index.php

Best of all the money will go to a good cause.

Default Foothills Trail - E-W or W-E?

Going to thru the Foothills starting on Saturday, August 28. Any suggestions on whether to start at Oconee State Park or Table Rock State Park? Thanks.

Images

I like the flow from Table Rock to Oconee as it seems more sensible to me. My wife and I hiked this trail on our honeymoon in 2006 and that was the route we took. I have been in the area many times on shorter hikes and find the Chattooga River area the easiest but more crowded. Hiking from the other end put the higher climbs and more remote areas up first giving the sense of wilderness. We had our trail legs under us when we got to the crowded and easier areas which meant we could get away from the crowds better...

I hiked west to east because I wanted my pack to be as light as possbile when I got to the climbs and also because I'd be closer to home if I finished at Table Rock.

You won't go wrong either way - I'm going to hike this trail again as soon as it cools off.

One thing to note is that the guidebook is written from a east to west perspective so it's easier to follow along if you start at Table Rock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++