WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default zero day activities

What does everyone do on zero days, on or off the trail?

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Rest. Do laundry. Deal with mail drops (sending/receiving). Get food. Buy/repair gear. Rest. Go home for a wedding or your brother's graduation. Eat like a horse.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Zero days for me seem to be anything but restful. Get to the P.O.,resupply,fix and/or replace gear,shower, find fuel, wash clothes and of course eat my self sick. Usually stresses me out and I can't wait to hit the trail again. Now two zeros in a row, thats relaxing.

Beer, Bath, Buffet. In that order.

Default Trail Days

Trail Days

Sit on my ass and wish I was hiking.
    GA-ME 04
    GA-VA 05

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Beer, Bath, Buffet. In that order.
    huh? no sex? strange....

Flash Hand

Strange? Obviously you've done no long distance hiking on the AT. Blue-blazing is like masturbation. Everyone does it but no one admits to it.

Images

This should probably be in the thru hiker forum, but...

I took no zero days (out of 48) last summer on the AT. But, I did take 3 neros and a couple of half days. Priorities usually include doing laundry and sitting on something soft watching TV and drinking beer. I don't have a TV at home, so this is a little odd.

One thing to think about for zero days is to actually take two of them. That is, walk or hitch into town by noon or so on the first day. Get clean, do laundry, call home. The next day lay around doing nothing. Except maybe eating, drinking, and resupplying. Remember not to act like an arse when you are in town, so take a shower and do laundry before you go into someone's business if at all possible. Don't bring your pack inside.

Images

My favorite way to do a "zero" is to roll into town mid-day after half a days hiking (or a whole if you get up ass early), hang out all day and get your business done. Then hang out for half the following day and hit the trail in the mid afternoon. That way you only pay for one nights lodging, get a lot of opportunities to eat and have a whole 24 hours in town. Still feels relaxing since you're there for 2 days straight. Plus you get to walk back into the woods in the later afternoon/earl evening hours, my absolute favorite time to be hiking.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Journal Entries

Tell me again why this thread is off topic and, for that matter, why it is useful to divide the two in the first place.

my first post and it looks like I'm in trouble already. I'm not a thru-hiker, so I didn't feel I should post it in that area. If you want it moved, ok by me. I've been hiking since I was a kid, but nothing real serious: a weekend here and there, mostly in Japan. I live in Allentown now and have been on the trail a few times. I've been learning alot from reading these forums and have become more serious about hiking as a result. I just wanted to ask what people do on their days off, thought it might be an interesting discussion.

You are in no trouble. The Off Topic area is usually saved for threads involving religion, politics and other divisive topics.

If this was your first thread, you done good.

BTW, don't let the thru-hikers intimidate you. They know how to binge, but not how to be persistant and dedicated over the years to our sport.

As a section hiker, I don't know what one does on a zero day. I've never had one. I've had late starts to check mail, resupply and do laundry. I've had early days to hit food and hostels. But I've not gotten to do a zero.

Bill...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Strange? Obviously you've done no long distance hiking on the AT. Blue-blazing is like masturbation. Everyone does it but no one admits to it.
    Do not buy a used tent from this man!

Default Good point, Lugnut...

"Do not buy a used tent from this man!"

Or a used motorcycle, either...

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut
    Do not buy a used tent from this man!
    maybe you should wash up after shaking hands?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Zeroe Activities

Depends a great deal on where you are and why you're taking a zero in the first place. Example ...I took a zero (two in fact) in Glasgow, VA. I was sick as a dog and about the only activities, other than tons of bed-rest, was a walk to the library to check e-mail.

Other than being sick and absolutley needing some rest, one of my main reasons for taking zeroes or neroes was to break up the whole monotony of hiking. I was not interested in distant side-trips so I often used the time to walk around, window shop and talk to the locals. About the only real sight-seeing zeroes I took was in Gatlinburg. It's a pretty touristy town and I found it fun to check out the stores (and the outfitter) and just hang out.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

++ New Posts ++