WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lightest long-sleeve base layer

Hi all,
    Was wondering what you would recommend as some of the lightest long-sleeve base layers? Want to carry a spare on multiple day backpacks and want the lightest possible.

Appreciate your feedback as always.

Thanks,
    Marty

I've always like my Underarmor long sleeve shirts. Well made and hold up to the rigors of hiking.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Take a look at Coolmax Alta long-sleeve shirts. Here's one from Sierra Trading Post, and you'll find others at running shops.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

i second the underarmor long sleeve shirt. found one last year on sale, and have been very satisfied.

fifo

A cheap polyester or nylon "dress" shirt would work. I have a "RailRider" shirt I bought at Mountian Crossings (neels gap) which is ventilated along the bottom of the sleeves and then down the side of the shirt with a mesh, which works nicely. Wasn't cheap though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

Just to make it more confusing, look at Hot Chillys.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

No idea about the lightest, but my preferance is a Capilene 1 LS crew for the majority of my three season outtings-- this is what I wear while hiking. In my pack I carry a Capilene 3 which is part of my sleep system and becomes a spare.

The old Golite Drimove Silkweight shirts are the lightest longsleeve shirts that I have found. My Mens Medium is 2.2oz. I use it to sleep in, am I am not sure it would hold up to the rigors of hiking. Golite discontinued them and replaced them with a slightly heavier shirt for 2010.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFol View Post
    No idea about the lightest, but my preferance is a Capilene 1 LS crew for the majority of my three season outtings-- this is what I wear while hiking. In my pack I carry a Capilene 3 which is part of my sleep system and becomes a spare.
    I have the Capilene 2 Crew Neck Long Sleeve and it is very light, The Cap 1 must be almost See Through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I have the Capilene 2 Crew Neck Long Sleeve and it is very light, The Cap 1 must be almost See Through.
    I ditto the Capilene 1 LS crew. This is a new name for the old silkweight. It is not see through but it is indeed light. Also, you won't believe how quickly it dries.

litefoot 2000

Default Wool over plastic

None of the previous posters have suggested thin wool layers. My smartwool long sleeve zip tee is my go-to piece of gear for any outdoor activity. I can go for days without smelling too badly. I can't say the same thing for the poly-propylene and capilene layers. In my opinion, the light wool layers are the best at keeping one warm when it's cool and cool when it's hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Long feet View Post
    None of the previous posters have suggested thin wool layers. My smartwool long sleeve zip tee is my go-to piece of gear for any outdoor activity. I can go for days without smelling too badly. I can't say the same thing for the poly-propylene and capilene layers. In my opinion, the light wool layers are the best at keeping one warm when it's cool and cool when it's hot.
    I for one wouldn't use a wool baselayer in the summer when temps are really hot. Synthetic wicks moisture much better and dries much quicker than wool, but I guess the OP didn't specify what temp ranges they would need it for.

The big plus is that wool doesn't hold the odor like a synthetic shirt, but I have been out for 18 days in the same Capilene shirt and found that I nor the shirt smelt any worse than anyone else because of wearing it. When I did the CT I would just wash it in the streams and it would dry out really quickly-- again not something that I would like to do with wool on a long thru-hike; but your experiences may differ from mine, I know some people who swear by their wool products.

I should add that if you don't want to drop $40+ on one shirt, then Goodwill is a good enough place as any to look for cheap synthetic shirts, and Target also carry a reasonable selection.

Silk long johns from warmstuff.com or PM Fiddlehead if that doesn't get you there.

+1 for Capilene. I have a Capilene 3 long sleeve shirt and I am amazed at how warm they are. Capilene top and bottoms have allowed me to take a much lighter sleeping bag on several occasions including last weekend.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Default silkweight merino?

I have a couple of silkweight merino layers I found on Steep and Cheap.. I think they are by Icebreaker and by I/O Bio.. about $25 - $30 each and probably weighs 4 - 5 oz.. maybe you can do lighter but these are amazing in temperature regulation. You can hike in them and yet not feel cold if there is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by longhiker View Post
    I have a couple of silkweight merino layers I found on Steep and Cheap.. I think they are by Icebreaker and by I/O Bio.. about $25 - $30 each and probably weighs 4 - 5 oz.. maybe you can do lighter but these are amazing in temperature regulation. You can hike in them and yet not feel cold if there is a breeze.
    How do these hold up? When I've read about them, seems like there is a lways some warning about how delicate they are. It always sounds to me as though your pack straps will wear through them. Not so?
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    How do these hold up? When I've read about them, seems like there is a lways some warning about how delicate they are. It always sounds to me as though your pack straps will wear through them. Not so?
    Not in two months of winter hiking. Maybe as an outer layer....

I believe the Patagonia Capilene 2 Crew has been mentioned already. I definitely second it. I have had it for just over a year, and worn it many times. As an inner layer, as well as an outer layer (so yeah it layers great.) I love this shirt with my R1 for winter hiking, and I even wore the Cap 2 shirt the other day on my 10.5 mile hike at Big Hill Pond in temperatures around 80 degrees. It is see through, so it's light. Listed at 6 oz, 5.8 on my scale. It is very durable (held up well under my pack with weights of up to 55 lbs). It is a little pricey, but worth it. I must warn you about the smell though. capilene does not control odor. I must say that it is not as bad as my Cap 1, which is more of a silky material, and just seems like it would hold odors more so.
    I have written a review on the Cap 2 shirt and you can read it here if you are interested.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...%20Poindexter/

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Keep 'em coming!

Best regards,
    Marty

Get a tyvek jumpsuit from the hardware store.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++