WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default To Trail Maintainers: Thank You!

To all the maintainers who work tirelessly on maintaining the trails, Thank You! I've walked along the AT here in Virginia and on other trails and down some blue blaze trails to see amazing views, waterfalls or even caves, and am constantly amazed at the work trail maintainers do. I look forward to seeing the AT in the other 13 states next year!

When I see rock steps or logs bolted into the earth to prevent erosion, I think to myself, "how on earth did they get these logs/stones up here?" I know it isn't glamorous work and although maintainers do get some "thank you's" here and there, I just wanted to add my own humble thank you to the list.

I can't imagine what the trail would be like, if it were to even exist at all, without the volunteer work that gets done. Your work enables people to enjoy the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    To all the maintainers who work tirelessly on maintaining the trails, Thank You! I've walked along the AT here in Virginia and on other trails and down some blue blaze trails to see amazing views, waterfalls or even caves, and am constantly amazed at the work trail maintainers do. I look forward to seeing the AT in the other 13 states next year!

When I see rock steps or logs bolted into the earth to prevent erosion, I think to myself, "how on earth did they get these logs/stones up here?" I know it isn't glamorous work and although maintainers do get some "thank you's" here and there, I just wanted to add my own humble thank you to the list.

I can't imagine what the trail would be like, if it were to even exist at all, without the volunteer work that gets done. Your work enables people to enjoy the trail.
    Absolutely ditto this. Thanks so much.

Images

Fritz, thanks for reminding me. I just walked the Georgia portion of the AT a few weeks ago. Heading north from Unicoi, I saw a LARGE number of orange ribbons hanging from trees with instructions for trail maintainers; I read most of them and was surprised by all the work that was specified. Most of the work was related to controlling erosion bu adding/repairing water blocks, steps, dips, etc. I also saw notes to narrow the trail by placing dead limbs near the trail and to remove an abused fire circle.

Since I live in Texas, helping with AT work isn't really going to happen, but I DID send the GATC a thank you note, and a check.

Here is a picture I took of one note.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...iginal=1&c=517

Thanks again to ALL of the groups that take care of the AT!

Sometimes when I'm hiking I too marvel at how well the trail is "put together" to keep errosion from getting worse, to make it easier to step up/down a section, to walk "thru" a blow down rather than try to scramble around one. When it comes to my mind, I do say a thank you prayer for those people who make it possible for me to hike easier. They are truely trail angels.

I hope to one day live close enough where I can help maintain part of the trail. Until then, I also thank everyone who works so hard on behalf of the rest of us.
    I'd rather be hiking...

Images

Default Log steps going uphill........

Here's what 100lbs of locust logs look like going upslope on Buck Ridge Trail, SNP. Note the eroded condition of the tread. Second pic shows short segment of completed staircase containing over 500 buried and staked locust logs:

++ New Posts ++