WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    It's a generation thing. Notice all the 50+'s agreeing with the OP.

I don't need a cell phone, but it's nice and considerate to keep in touch with loved ones. Also, with features such as camera, GPS, mp3, notepad...wow there goes 4 things I don't have to carry because my phone is all of them.

Until I need to use it, generally in town, I store the phone and battery separately. This saves power that can be lost as "phantom power" even when the phone is off. <--- Helpful Hint.
    I'm 54 and I always take mine with me. Of course I rarely use it and can never get a signal when I do need it. Then again, maybe i should leave it home. First time I brought it, after checking with the shuttle driver on availability of a good signal at the pick up point, I learned that you can run down your battery in just day if the phone is on as it keeps looking for a signal. I now take the battery out until I need it.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'd quit. And I did quit.

I'm more worried actually about how the constant connectivity means that there really are no more weekends and holidays. No more short vacations. It's worth it to quit for a 6 month trip, but not just to be able to have dinner or a real weekend without being interrupted by your job. I've chosen a very downscale life in order not to be sucked into that kind of nonsense.
    As I said, there's no right answer - everyone's situation is different and while I would not make the same decision as you I fully respect your choices.

I have chosen a life of business and family. I find the tradeoffs to be satisfying and fulfilling whereas you see it as nonsense. Go figure.

Just remember, all of the things that go on in the world that require people to live lives that you wouldn't choose to live but you depend on.

Do you have any gear made in China for instance? Every time you buy something from a store, think of what it took to get it there.

What I mean to say is that we can't all scale back and thumb our noses at what makes the world go 'round. It's fine as far as it goes but there's a limit to it.

I HAVE to have a cell to check in with the Navy recruiters when in towns and see if my Officer application was accepted. Not a "luxury" item in this case. Without the cell, I'd have to give up hiking the AT.

Just curious, any ultralight ideas for waterproof bags to hold the cellphone & camera? The "dry bags" with the watertight clips on top found at Academy Sports are 9oz!

Images

Had my cell for a couple weeks but mom was leaving 3 messages a day soon switched to a calling card. I love ya mom but i will call you and its ultralight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tevo View Post

Just curious, any ultralight ideas for waterproof bags to hold the cellphone & camera? The "dry bags" with the watertight clips on top found at Academy Sports are 9oz!
    Sure. Ziploc baggie. Almost weightless, works like a charm.

I have to check in too, with my non-hiking but amazingly supportive wife. Condition for hiking, and probably not a bad idea.

I never hiked with a cell phone (thru-hike anyway)
    When I do my next one, I will have to have one along.
    My business cannot run without me working online at least every 3rd day. (every other day is much better)
    My partner would kill me if I asked for more.
    .................................................. ..........

so, when it's a matter of: Hike with the phone or stay home.
    Which one do you think I'm going to choose?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Nowadays, you can do so much with a cell phone it's almost like not being in the woods at all!

In fact, that's a great idea. I could stay home with my cell phone and watch my 3D HD TV on discovery and still get score reports, weather data, e-mails, and even check facebook!

Seriously though, I'm 18. I've been nurtured by our connection-crazed society and all I want to do when I am on the trail is unplug and focus on the real, the present and the at-hand. I am actually fearful of the way technology is progressing: can you imagine trail-life with wi-fi? Shelters filled with people checking e-mails, watching youtube and video-chatting. Scares the hell out of me.

I bring my cell phone for emergencies only. My loved ones have my itinerary; if it changes I'll send a text, that is all.
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

Images

Probably because there aren't many pay phones left...
    "I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~John Muir

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    What's a "cell phone"?
    Ditto to that!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Obsession

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I think it ironic that those who seek to connect with the wilderness by hiking often find they have a very hard time disconnecting themselves from that which they are trying to escape! It points to the fact that humans are creatures of habit. We have addictions, obsessions. No doubt cell phone use is one of those obsessions!

And, yeah, despite many of the excuses like a cell ph is only for emergencies, etc, MUCH cell ph use is about mindless mundane trivial chatter or trying to alleviate someone else's fears of the big bad wilderness.

I have ample opportunity to observe how folks hike. I learn much about human behavior by doing this and can often tell by how folks behave while hiking how they are likely to behave while not hiking or being out on the trail. Hiking tourists in National Parks are a great example. They take a shotgun approach to hiking just like they lead their lives off the trail. I strongly suspect that hikers that have a hard time slowing down and drinking in the amazing scenery also lead their family and career lives this way too. People just can't focus. It's like the masses have Attention Deficit Disorder. They have to be doing a thousand tasks at once because that's what they are accustomed to and it shows up in thier hiking, which could be so much more if they only learned to let go of their non-trail life habits. I strongly suspect that hikers who approach their hikes with the attitude - if it's worth doing it's worth doing fast - lead ther lives off the trail the same way. I experience MANY hikers who have the hardest time quieting their minds. It's as if they hike like they are racing to a checkered flag. I suspect they are living their lives off the trail the same way. Often, I find similarities to how people hike with how they drive automobiles too. They might not realize it but they hike agressively with their egos on full tilt just like they drive their cars.

The obssession with cell phone use while on the trail is VERY MUCH a continuation of the same obssession with cell ph use while not hiking!
    Very well explained.
    When the batteries go dead, it's an excuse to go home
    Grampie-N->2001

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Got on here this morning and noticed several threads regarding information on cell phone signals at different places along the trail.

Why the obsession? Turn your cell phone off, or don't take it. Cell phones are a fairly recent invention, people survived without them for many years. You don't need it. You might be surprised how much nicer your experience is without it.

P.S. - yes, I take mine along on my section hikes. It is off and deep in my pack. If I need it, it's there. If I don't get a signal when I need it, I'll figure something else out. It doesn't concern me.

That is all . . .

Despite everyone thinking they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, I agree with you. Don't own one (technically my husband uses a pay-as-you-go phone as an emergency phone when he's babysitting) and don't ever plan to. Don't own or use microwaves either (though my reasons for that don't completely coincide with my refusal to own a cell phone). Never texted in my life, never used Twitter.

And I'm in my 20s - how weird to I look?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Obsessed with cellphone reception? Get Verizon! /thread

Arrow A solution...

Buy a cheap Tracfone (I've seen them for $8 at Family Dollar). Get the Nokia brand phone, avoid the "clamshell" type flip phones. The battery life is excellent and the phone is smaller, lighter and more rugged than many other brands. Buy some time for the phone. Activate the phone. Register your phone with the national cellphone Do Not Call Registry @ 1-888-382-1222 to prevent nuisance calls from telemarketers. Do NOT activate the voice mail feature or the "worry warts" will fill the mail box and burn up your minutes. Give the number to those who want to keep in contact with and tell them to TEXT you if they need to get in touch with you. When you get to town, or on a mountaintop within range of a cell tower, turn on the phone. The Tracfone uses whatever network is available. Your incoming text messages will display and you can then call back if it is an emergency.

If you are one of those people that HAVE to be connected ALL the time, you may have chosen the wrong form of recreation.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 02-10-2011 at 13:21. Reason: Omission...

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Because we live in an age of technology, social networking, and forums such as this one and there is no reason for not taking advantage of it. I don't live in era of pioneers and nor do I want too. I love the woods, nature, hiking and backpacking but I also like gadgets. Doesn't make me less than someone else because I admit it.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    Because we live in an age of technology, social networking, and forums such as this one and there is no reason for not taking advantage of it. I don't live in era of pioneers and nor do I want too. I love the woods, nature, hiking and backpacking but I also like gadgets. Doesn't make me less than someone else because I admit it.
    Well said. But don't worry, it won't be long before a curmudgeon walks up the trail and looks down their nose at you because they chose to shun technology. (or technology shuns them?)

Images

I always found cell phones would only get a signal when I didnt need one, never when I actually need to use it. So now I just take the land line with me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I always found cell phones would only get a signal when I didnt need one, never when I actually need to use it. So now I just take the land line with me
    Man, thats a hell of a lot of cord to carrying.........
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sickmont View Post
    Man, thats a hell of a lot of cord to carrying.........
    No , I have the corless model.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    No , I have the corless model.
    That's awesome, man.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i ain't got one. never will

Me either!!

litefoot 2000

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++