WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default safety for women on the trail

I have come to backpacking rather recently, and enjoy it immensely. I do find myself concerned about my personal safety on the trail- particularly because when I backpack, it is with another middle aged woman like myself. We've had a couple of situations that were not comfortable (camping within a few hundred yards of an ATV trail and hearing them 'play' into the wee hours of the morning; meeting other hikers who literally made the hair on my arms stand on end with uneasiness) and made me aware of my vulnerability. I do such things as being vague when other hikers ask us questions about our itinerary, and making sure all of our equipment blends in to the environment (no blaze orange tarp). We always leave an itinerary with family. We do not camp within sight of the tail. We probably also do other things which escape me at the moment.

The main thing is I want to enjoy backpacking without fear. I want to make sure I'm doing everything sensible to keep myself safe and then relax and enjoy myself. The problem is--what is everything sensible?

Registered Troll
    Images

Seriously, I don't think you have much to worry about. Seems you're practicing a fair degree of common sense already, which is your best defense. Thousands of women have hiked the AT all the way from GA to ME without incident. From everything I've read and seen, you're not in much more danger from other humans than the men. Which is practically nil.

Maybe carry a key jiggy of pepper spray, if for nothing more than peace of mind.

What you're doing so far is smart and sensible. Here are a few more ideas:

1. Work on your outdoor skills so you can better handle unforeseen
    situations: I.e., learn how to use map and compass, so you can get
    outta the woods fast if necessary.

2. Avoid staying ANYWHERE that's too close to a road; most folks who are
    looking to make trouble in the backcountry don't go far from their cars.

3. Learn to figure out who "belongs" out there by their clothing, gear, con-
    versation, demeanor, etc.

4. If you get bad vibes about folks you're with, move on. Trust your
    instincts.

5. Consider taking a personal self-defense course. It's very useful stuff, as
    well as being a great confidence builder.

6. Spend MORE time in the woods and mountains, not less. The more time
    you spend out there, the more comfortable you'll be.

7. Travel with company until you feel comfortable travelling alone.

8. Remember that while you're wise to be aware of risks and perceived
    dangers, don't go too far overboard to the point that these worries
    interfere with your enjoyment of the outdoors. You're far safer on
    the Trail than you are in your home, your workplace, or walking down
    the street of your hometown. Keep your fears reasonable and in
    proportion to the actual risk.....it's great that this subject concerns you,
    but it'd be a shame if you let it keep you out of the woods.

I've had 2 long distance hikes on the AT for the past 2 years now, and have been in the circumstance where I felt I was taking a risk once. A bad hitch to where I knew better before I got in the car, but I did so anyway. Things could have gone seriously wrong, but I made it out okay, a little wiser, and more trusting of my gut feelings.

It's a rare situation for a person's life to be at risk on the AT. More often than not, it is a case of just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, which can happen ANYWHERE. Being a female can make you feel more vulnerable to crime, especially if you are traveling alone. Of course, most of it is just head games.

It sounds like you already make some very reasonable choices in regards to personal safety in the wilderness. Stay away from road crossings, off the trail, and keep people informed of where you are and where you will be. Educate yourself with proper behavior around wildlife as well, so you know what to do if you come up to a mama and baby bear - for instance.

Good luck!

Thanks to you all for your good advice and encouragement. I'm listening. I'm not interested in packing any firearms, but I did run into a very rude pit bull whose owner had even fewer manners and had thought of carrying pepper spray for situations such as that...And I have discovered that the further away from civilization, the more civilized the people. Thanks

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

All the advice posted is good. I have been out on the trail alone for the past 4 years and have felt very comfortable.

I agreed that having a comfort level in you environment is very helpful It is also good to ALWAYS listen to you rinner voice even if it seems stupid or over kill... I listen to the hairs on the back of my neck. Luckily I have had very little scary moments. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

I wonder if pepper spray would stop a pit bull? I'd rather have a .44 with a mutt like that.

Images

Default safety on the trail

I think a cell phone is great too. It doesnt even have to work. If you act like you are talking to someone it can make a big impression. I even talk into my GPS sometimes if I feel uncomfortable. Watch out if it becomes a habit, though!

APPLE in AUSTIN

Images

Lightbulb Deal with the fear

The main thing is I want to enjoy backpacking without fear.
    If that's true, you seemed to have dealt with everything EXCEPT the fear. Fear is an emotional response to the mind going into the future and creating the image of something undesireable. Your mind sees you as potentially victimized by everything out there. Your mind's response is to cover up the fear with things like stealthing in the woods, giving false itinerary, pepper spray, etc. rather than deal with the emotions.

I want to make sure I'm doing everything sensible to keep myself safe and then relax and enjoy myself.
    How to dispell you fear? The next time you feel it, that tightening of the muscles, that gut feeling, increased hear rate... stay present, breath and really feel what's going on inside, then say to yourself, "I'm creating this fear now." After you own the creation of the fear, see what happens.

You and your hiking partner could remind each other to try this the next time you're feeling vulnerable and not at ease.

By all means, keep doing what you're doing (stealthing, false itinerary...) but add dealing with your fear to your list of things to keep you safe.

Okay, Dr. Phil, I'll give it a try. I'll own my own demons I'm usually one who takes only calculated risks, and then I got spooked from a couple of experiences early on. Nothing is guaranteed, but I'd rather be out there huffing up a mountain with all the potential experiences, than be sitting at home having none.

Slow and steady does the trick... AbeHikes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocalousas
    I wonder if pepper spray would stop a pit bull? I'd rather have a .44 with a mutt like that.
    It has for every one I've had to spray. I'm an ex-cop.

Default website

here is a very good website that will help you

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

it's not a pro-gun site (or anti-gun)...neutral on 2A issues. Main emphasis on safety is via "situational awareness"-- being aware of your surroundings, knowing what makes some people targets, how to react if you feel targeted, etc.

Well worth a couple of hours reading time for male or female.

Whether you choose to carry or not (don't ask, don't tell), do a google search on the "Tueller drill". You will get an idea of how close is "too close" -- it's farther than you think.

I second the idea of a self-defense class. Something like Model Mugging would be excellent. They teach you awareness and give you self-confidence in addition teaching you how to defend yourself and not freeze up.

FWIW, I was alone on the trail for most of the second half of my flipflip thruhike and I felt very comfortable out there. I'm also a former triathlete, had 6 months of self-defense training in college, and I'm bigger than most men - all factors that have something to do with confidence levels, too.

I am a middle aged woman and thruhiked without a cell phone or whatever. Like others have said, it is mostly common sense.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boston
    Keep you legs closed and you won't have a problem.
    Of all the issues to be an ass about, someone asking about personal safety is not one of them. I support your right to have your say, but don't you think being flippant about someones fear is wrong?

Default consider the source

Boston's comments display a prepubescent mentality and lack of intellect that says all we need to know about him.

Registered Troll
    Images

Default Blasphemers

A woman's place is in the home, caring for her husband and children. Not roaming the wilds like a loose woman and harlot.

Default troglodytes

A woman's place is in the home, caring for her husband and children. Not roaming the wilds like a loose woman and harlot.
    And a man’s place is in the home, honoring his wife and children. Not roaming the wilds like a loose canon and hermit.
    (p.s.-I do mean canon [a rule or church law], not cannon-pun intended)

blue blazin' hiker trash

Quote Originally Posted by willk
    Willk meet Minnesotasmith, Minnesotasmith meet Willk. I think you two will get along just fine. Now, go play by yourselves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++