WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Southern Section with Low Elevation Gain ?

Hi,

With the recent snow [12/07/10], I am looking to do a 3 day- 2 night loop (or out and back) with my winter gear, snowshoes, and pulk.

Obviously if the trail isn't broken out I will be doing low miles.

I am looking for valley trails with low elevation gain/loss and little above tree line exposure.

I was hoping that someone familiar with the AT in Maine could suggest a section of the trail to consider [the closer to NH border the better].

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Hi,

With the recent snow [12/07/10], I am looking to do a 3 day- 2 night loop (or out and back) with my winter gear, snowshoes, and pulk.

Obviously if the trail isn't broken out I will be doing low miles.

I am looking for valley trails with low elevation gain/loss and little above tree line exposure.

I was hoping that someone familiar with the AT in Maine could suggest a section of the trail to consider [the closer to NH border the better].

Thanks.
    Haven't hiked Maine in winter so I don't know the levels of current snow depth.

Near the NH/ME border and little elevation gain? That's a tall order.

I recall the section between Rt. 17 and Rt 4 as being easy compared to the AT on either side. But it's only 13 miles. You could snowshoe to Sabbath Day Pond, spend the night, and return although that's not what you're looking for.

Images

You could do Acadia. As to AT, sounds like Mass and southern VT better fit your desired trail conditions. Mass is probably not yet wintry enough, but will get there soon. VT doubtless is there.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Thanks for the comments.

Looking at getting on at Caratunk and heading south.

Thanks again.

++ New Posts ++