WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First night's camping options (SOBO)

If KS campgroup is full and other shelters at Katahdin's base are also already reserved in the beginning of June, what are my remaining options? Just hike out a bit more and set up? I am SUPER EXCITED and overlooked this logistical detail. THANKS IN ADVANCE

I posted this to your other thread:

Try getting a lean-to at Katahdin Stream the night before and after your climb. Best way to get an early start up, and best way to crash and enjoy the accomplishment after coming down.
    No, you can't just hike out a bit, you need to leave the Park for a legal spot. No stealth camping allowed. Yes, you can hike out to Abol Bridge, but it is a haul after the 10.4 up and down of Katahdin.
    There are still plenty of spots left at KSC:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....c.exe/overview
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Be sure you select Katahdin Stream to check sites.
    We have one reserved for the night of July 1.
    The birches site is only for NOBO long distance hikers

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I don't have my maps on me right now, but isn't the BSP boundry only a few miles south of KS campground? And I seem to remember another trail with less mileage, blueberry something???

I'll have to go check my maps.

Images

You should reserve a site now just so you know you have it. Like TJ said, stealth camping is strictly prohibited in BSP. I know someone who tried and the ranger made him pack up and pay for a site in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I don't have my maps on me right now, but isn't the BSP boundry only a few miles south of KS campground? And I seem to remember another trail with less mileage, blueberry something???

I'll have to go check my maps.
    I was wrong. BSP boundry is just past Abol bridge. The trail I was thinking about is Blueberry Ledges, with a quick look at the map it's about 1/2 the distance from KS CG to abol bridge than the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I was wrong. BSP boundry is just past Abol bridge. The trail I was thinking about is Blueberry Ledges, with a quick look at the map it's about 1/2 the distance from KS CG to abol bridge than the AT.
    but you would miss the pretty river walk, and niagra falls and, etc.

i just made my reservations for ks today and i cannot see any reason why the birches would be restricted to nobos. the only thing i saw was that they preferred folks who generally knew exactly when they were going to be coming through (which can really only apply to sobos, right?), to reserve at ks. that being said, and judging from the number of bodies we count each year coming through shaw's, early enough in the season, i imagine birches is likely near empty.

Another option is to share a spot at KSC with other hikers. On my SOBO journey I managed to share a lean-to with 3 other hikers thanks to WhiteBlaze.

Of course, I was the only one to show up...

Formerly Jaws2006
    Journal Entries

Default SOBO 1st night at Baxter

Based on my prior hikes, here is what I have found:

1) Keep track of the available lean-to and campsites on the BSP availability listing (online). You can print out the reservation for and mail in right now to reserve any available spots for your night staying.

2) When only two weeks from your camping night - you can call BSP and make a phone reservation (you are risking not finding an available spot.

3) Either reserving a lean-to or a tent site is still $30 - must be cash if paying in person.

4) If you don't find any spots at KSC, go ask anyone in the lean-to or camping sites. I have tented that way before. Unless thing have changed, the ranger who comes by in the evening IS going to charge you also for sharing a site.

5) If you still cannot find anything, you probably have a better chance by hiking two miles south to Abol Campground. There is a ranger station there and you can pay on the spot.

6) Traditionally the Birches are reserved for the first 10 NOBOs who sign up at the information board just inside BSP, past the outside campgrounds. Those first 10 are supposed to be all that can stay that night in the Birches lean-to or one of the tent spots. HOWEVER, the KSC ranger has the discretion to let a SOBO stay at the Birches (one night and pay $10) if there are LESS than 10 NOBOs staying there. It's just a matter of luck if there is any room left. This is what I did when I started my 2006 SOBO.

7) I have called BSP twice recently and talked to two different people. Both acknowledged that the ranger can (at his discretion) still let a SOBO stay at the Birches - if not full with NOBOs.

8) At KSC the ranger also has access to a few, small lean-tos that are not booked to the public normally. They may be available - or the ranger may not be willing to use them. I have no idea why.

9) At the risk of getting yelled at - there are at least a few, hidden stealth spots several miles down the AT. I think it is wrong to use them, just as I think it is wrong to leave trash in the shelters. But others have different opinions. Yes, if caught you can be banished from the park - but then you have already climbed Katahdin and heading out anyway - aren't you? Maybe they will give you a ticket and maybe you will say you don't have ID and give a fake name. It's your call about what is right or wrong.

My suggestion is to try and book a lean-to or camping spot in advance. If you can't - don't worry. Climb Katahdin and then check with the ranger and ask around the other sites.

7)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaws2006 View Post
    4) If you don't find any spots at KSC, go ask anyone in the lean-to or camping sites. I have tented that way before. Unless thing have changed, the ranger who comes by in the evening IS going to charge you also for sharing a site.
    The price to stay is per person with a minimum amount per site per night. I reserved a spot at KSC last year and another SOBO who I met on the bus to Medway the day before stayed there with me. There was no additional charge because the minimum fee for the site covered two people. If I had had more people at the tent site, there would have been an additional charge.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

This year it is not per person but flat rate for the site. I believe it covers up to six people (at a tent site), but correct me if I'm wrong. Its $30

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++