WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Am I crazy................

Since I was a kid I have always loved camping as I got older and got married me and my wife always enjoyed primative camping over any other camping. When our parnets would "camp" with an RV we would always say that is not camping. Well a few years ago we got into walking trails at state parks and that became our preferance in chosing a park then we decided to hike overnight trip in Michigans UP with only two backpacks a tent, two wallyworld sleeping bags and other supplies and enjoyed it more thanany other camping experiance ever.

Well now that I am back in GA and the AT is so close and I have camped there a couple times this year and doing a thru hike of the AT has become an OBSESSION.

AM I CRAZY BECAUSE ...............................

Everyday I think about it.

Everyday I look for videos or pics of others doing it and all I can think is that they a lucky SOB's.

I look at people's trip journals and photos in order to live vicariously through thier experiance.

Last but not least is it crazy to think in one year I can hike the AT with the only experiance thus far being a weekend trip. (not meaning I am not going to go on trips this summer and fall to the AT because I am so close)

Journal Entries

You are crazy, mad as a hatter and ready for the looney bin, I suffer the same problem Cooley. The worse thing is being in a job that doesn't allow you to just get up and go. Not until my contract ends. Until them all we can do is eat, sleep and drean of hiking.

Journal Entries

PS: Read, or better still listen to on Audio Books, Bill Brysons, A Walk in the Woods. Great Fun!

Hiking Gauguin

www.morrisjensen.com

You ARE crazy! and you end up here...go figure!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

[QUOTE=cooley;1011782]

Everyday I think about it.

Everyday I look for videos or pics of others doing it and all I can think is that they a lucky SOB's.

I look at people's trip journals and photos in order to live vicariously through thier experiance.
    [QUOTE]

+1
    Sailor

Images

Yup, you got a bad case of Springer Fever.

It actually helps a lot to get out and hike sections for a long weekend or a week. That'll knock the fever down a couple of degrees, though of course there is no real cure. Not even a thru-hike.

As for your final question -- can you do a thru-hike with just one weekend overnight under your belt -- sure, you can, but why? Kinda like running a marathon after one lap around the block. You'll have a much better chance of success if you get out and do some section hikes, get your gear and clothing squared away, and have that experience to build on while you make your plans. And besides, hiking is *fun* and what's better than a fun hiking weekend? (or week, or month, or year....you get the idea.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Ditto. Doing my first section end of May and feel as excited as if I was thru hiking. I hike all the time in Florida spend alot time on the FT, but the excitement level of the AT vs FT is not in the same ball park. Maybe we are all crazy, but I like it.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post

As for your final question -- can you do a thru-hike with just one weekend overnight under your belt -- sure, you can, but why? Kinda like running a marathon after one lap around the block. You'll have a much better chance of success if you get out and do some section hikes, get your gear and clothing squared away, and have that experience to build on while you make your plans. And besides, hiking is *fun* and what's better than a fun hiking weekend? (or week, or month, or year....you get the idea.)

Just my opinion based on my experience but I think being a section hiker is probably more fun than being a thru hiker in terms of enjoyment.

As a section hiker you can pick the season, the weather, the trail, the dates, etc. that you want to hike. That is a major plus in my book.

Images

You're not crazy ... You're just like me!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Yes you are crazy. . . have a great hike. . .

You're crazy in the eyes of most of the sedentary, career-oriented, climate-controlled world - your friends, co-workers, family, neighbors, people you meet on the street.

But you're not crazy on WB.

I echo the suggestions about section hiking first - just to get a feel for a 1-2 week hike first before taking the plunge. It's not absolutely necessary, just a suggestion.

crazy person walks into the asylum and asks if "HE's" crazy?

Images

Cooly, I felt the same way. In 2 1/2 weeks, I leave to hike SOBO from Mt. Katahdin. I am driving my wife, my kids and my dog nuts. My dog puked three times on a recent training hike going up Mt. Gerylock in MA. I spend so much time on WB trying to bridge the gap until I leave that I blew the power supply on my computer. Can't wait for the mud, bugs and FUN to begin. Hang in there, your time will come. The fact that you have a partner that loves hiking as much as you do is priceless. A great view is just a great view until you have someone to share it with. Best of luck, happy trails.

You should check out Big Red's trail journal. I don't think he had much experience.

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=598

Images

No, you are totally normal. Just lilke all of us here on WB. The crazy ones are those out there who would never consider hiking.

Okay, maybe we're a little crazy. Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by Gauguin View Post
    PS: Read, or better still listen to on Audio Books, Bill Brysons, A Walk in the Woods. Great Fun!

Hiking Gauguin

www.morrisjensen.com
    Thank you for the book recommendation! I absolutely loved Bill Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" and just ordered a copy of this book in Hardcover and Audio CD on half.com.

Pack all your backpacking gear on Thursday night. Either take a half day on Friday or just have your gear in your car and leave from the office at quitting time. Drive to the trailhead and sleep there. Hike all day Saturday, hike out on Sunday, shower and back to the office on Monday. Repeat. Also do this on Thanksgiving week, the week between Christmas and New Years, Memorial Day, Presidents Day, 4th of July etc.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    Thank you for the book recommendation! I absolutely loved Bill Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" and just ordered a copy of this book in Hardcover and Audio CD on half.com.
    Another good book is "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" by J.R. Tate. I believe you can find it on Amazon.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

The crazy ones are chained to their desk, convinced their life is the only way.

The sane ones have slipped their chains and sneak off to the wilderness at hand: a day sail on the bay, a walk in the woods, a hike in the mountains, canoeing a river, kayaking the shoreline, or "gone fishing".

Hiking is only the beginning of this insanity, uh, sanity.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by connie View Post
    the crazy ones are chained to their desk, convinced their life is the only way.

The sane ones have slipped their chains and sneak off to the wilderness at hand: A day sail on the bay, a walk in the woods, a hike in the mountains, canoeing a river, kayaking the shoreline, or "gone fishing".

Hiking is only the beginning of this insanity, uh, sanity.

well said.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++